Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yes all Prados sold in Australia are full-time 4wd.

This is a well written explanation of the 80/100 series Landcruiser 4wd system which, for the purpose of this conversation, is the same as the Prado's.
    http://www.lcool.org/technical/diffs/diffs.html
    Declan: 1997 GXL 4.5 Auto 80 series on LPG, ARB bullbar, 2" OME lift, 32" MTZ, GME UHF, rear ARB locker, Kaymar spare wheel carrier
    PLANNED: 3 or 4" suspension lift, 2" body lift (maybe), winch, 35" MTZ + roadies, front locker, sliders, cylinder head rebuilt for LPG, Garret Turbocharger

""that even though I HADN'T engaged the transfer case the FRONT WHEEL was spinning anyway! (along with the diagonally opposite rear "" had you say had 3 wheels on the ground one in the air, all power would have gone to the one wheel that was in the air, this is where the centre diff lock button comes into play. If say you have 1 rear wheel in the air spinning away and three touching the ground if you locked the centre diff lock you will then distribute 50/50 drive to front and back, so then by having the centre diff locked in the locked position 50% of the power would then have gone to the front drive so chances are it would pull you through....If you had traction control it would have applied the brake to the wheel which was in the air spinning and sent the power to the other 3 wheels and if one of them started spinning it would have apllied the brake to that wheel and so on. Still not as good as lockers but will take you most places you want to go. Obviously you are like myself and have the GXL with out any of the option packs so no traction control, DAC control etc. I certainly miss the traction control my older 95 Grande had, never bothered with lockers but will at least get one in the 120 GXL V6 I have now........Cheers Steve
    Face lift 150 Prado V6 auto. No mods yet

Avid PP Poster! LiveFreeAndRoam's Avatar
    I don't think you have yet mentioned which model you own. If it's a GXL do you have any option packs? What I'm getting at is if you have Traction Control, then something is broken. If not, then what you are observing is normal.

that's why we need diff locks! Eh!?
    Either a diff lock or some other traction aid. In a Prado with traction control, it would have easily pulled you out of this predicament.

LFaR.
    29Feb12:12GXLTD Auto, ARB Deluxe Winch bar, WARN 9.5xp Winch, IPF 900XS, Tow, Safari snorkel, Front + Rear Recovery points, ARB OME NC Sports, ATZ-4Rib, Silver. MaxTrax, ScanGuage II, ARB CKMA12, UHF: GME TX3440 AE4018K1 UNH047SX, Bushranger Air Jack, Staun + ARB Deflators, WindCheetah Roof Rack, Foxwing, Super Charge MRV70, Redarc BCDC1220, ARB 60L fridge, MSA Fridge Dropdown slide, DRIFTA Drawers, TJM Bash Plates, TG150.

Ok got that, thanks williade. Oh by the way SteveM my 120 doesn't have a button to activate the centre diff lock it has the lever and no traction control (04 model). Thanks again - got it sorted now! Paul.

Yeah realized yours didnt have it Paul. If you had traction control it would have pulled/pushed you through no worries. Myn is an 05 (would be the same as yours I presume) so no traction control. Not sure it was even an option on yours and mine at the time ?? I may be wrong but I think that option come in around 06/07 when the D4D was introduced, even on the GX you can get traction/down hill assist, climate duel air.........Cheers Steve
    Face lift 150 Prado V6 auto. No mods yet

For the sake of those who don't frequent the trip reports sub forum:

Here is a demonstration of my rear locker at Newnes. Notice that, without the locker engaged, traction is lost before any wheels are airborne.

Declan: 1997 GXL 4.5 Auto 80 series on LPG, ARB bullbar, 2" OME lift, 32" MTZ, GME UHF, rear ARB locker, Kaymar spare wheel carrier
    PLANNED: 3 or 4" suspension lift, 2" body lift (maybe), winch, 35" MTZ + roadies, front locker, sliders, cylinder head rebuilt for LPG, Garret Turbocharger

Lurker
    Hello folks

Digging a 6 year old thread as I cudnt get a satisfactory answer to my queries. The more I read, the more I learn, and the more confused I get

I got a UK import 120 series 2003 model D4D engine, auto tranny prado. It has Center diff lock button and DAC button and on t-case lever it shows L-N-H.

1. I am guessing these 120 series come with LSD ..... is it correct?

2. What happens if I shift the t-case lever to H while center diff lock is NOT engaged? How the power is distributed between the front and rear axles?

3. This should be the first question ..... can I use H or L on t-case WITHOUT center diff button engaged?

4. How to use DAC? Scenario: I am about to go down on a steep descend. I engage DAC, shift to D and only control the steering wheel while NO FOOT ON ANY PEDALS? Do I need to shift to L to use DAC? Whats the diiference if I select L on t-case and engage DAC and go downhill?

5. Can I shift from H-N-L on the fly (where speed is less than 10km/h) I heard shifting from L to H while moving is not a problem but do I have to COMPLETELY STOP before shifting from L-H?

6. Engaging and disengaging center diff lock button should be done while the vehicle is stationary or can it be done while its moving?

I had 70 series with old school manual tranny/manual hubs locks/ rear lockers and I could control is the way I wanted but with these electronic gadgets life has become easy but fun has lost.

I would appreciate your comments / replies as enough of me learning by breaking things up. Better to have experts' opinions and advice.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Grendizer View Post
    Hello folks

Digging a 6 year old thread as I cudnt get a satisfactory answer to my queries. The more I read, the more I learn, and the more confused I get

I got a UK import 120 series 2003 model D4D engine, auto tranny prado. It has Center diff lock button and DAC button and on t-case lever it shows L-N-H.
    1. I am guessing these 120 series come with LSD ..... is it correct?
    For your model, just the front.

2. What happens if I shift the t-case lever to H while center diff lock is NOT engaged? How the power is distributed between the front and rear axles?
    It means that the power distribution isn't locked front and rear.

3. This should be the first question ..... can I use H or L on t-case WITHOUT center diff button engaged?
    Yes

4. How to use DAC? Scenario: I am about to go down on a steep descend. I engage DAC, shift to D and only control the steering wheel while NO FOOT ON ANY PEDALS? Do I need to shift to L to use DAC? Whats the diiference if I select L on t-case and engage DAC and go downhill?
    In low range, 1st gear

5. Can I shift from H-N-L on the fly (where speed is less than 10km/h) I heard shifting from L to H while moving is not a problem but do I have to COMPLETELY STOP before shifting from L-H?
    I shift at complete stop, both ways.

6. Engaging and disengaging center diff lock button should be done while the vehicle is stationary or can it be done while its moving?
    While moving

I had 70 series with old school manual tranny/manual hubs locks/ rear lockers and I could control is the way I wanted but with these electronic gadgets life has become easy but fun has lost.

I would appreciate your comments / replies as enough of me learning by breaking things up. Better to have experts' opinions and advice.

Cheers
    If you have experienced D4D engine failure, please complete this survey ​http://goo.gl/forms/bpJSYjq0Zx
    My Rig Build up

Lurker
    thanks @amts

really appreciate your reply.

Educate me more plz ...... can you differentiate between the followings two:

1. Using L on t-case with center diff button NOT engaged
    2. Using L on t-case with center diff button engaged

whats the actual power ratio distribution when center diff button is engaged and not engaged?

Confusion is that some people say you dont really need to activate center diff unless needed, I cant get any logic outta this.

Cheers

Centre diff engaged will lock power 50:50. It should only be engaged on loose surfaces.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12