Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Lurker
    Good tips. Going to help my mate change pads of his 120 series this will definitely help us. Thanks.

This might be also helpful to someone attempt to DIY .

Quote Originally Posted by vantheshark View Post
    This might be also helpful to someone attempt to DIY .

Chrisfix! I knew it
    CANYONEROOOOO *whipping in the distance*

http://youtu.be/7ZeFDe44Ddo

Toyota LandCruiser Prado GXL V6 Red
    (APRIL 2006 BUILD)

Changed out the rotors and pads a while ago but forgot to post re the cracks in the rear discs.

PLEASE check your rear discs for cracks. these ones cracked on the inside edge making it impossible to see with just the wheel off.

If the steering wobbles under brakes your front rotors are out of line, if the car pulses under brakes the rear discs are out. Mine was pulsing but didn't know they where cracked until i took them off.

Cracks on the face that follow the casting. This side is not supported like the outside.

New rotors front and back. DBA T2 slotted.
    Toyota pads used.

Originals lasted 120000 with plenty remaining. !st replacements lasted until 200000 when i discovered the cracks.

This needs to be put on your regular maintenance program. Remove the rear discs, check pads and handbrake shoes, clean with brake cleaner or water, NO COMPRESSED AIR, re grease the adjuster nuts and reinstall.

Rusty.
    08 VX D4D, Lift, Safari Snorkle, Trailblazer Fridge, Custom Storeage System, BFG, ARB Safari Bar, Wife, Kids, Codan NGT HF Radio, Debt.
    06 100 Series Sahara, Bilteins, Kings, Beaudesert 3", Diff drop, Unichip Q4, Safari Intercooler, EGR delete, 20ft Bushtracker, Codan Envoy more coming.
    Sometimes i wake up Grumpy, most times i leave her sleep.

Thanks

Thanks for this write up. It gave me the confidence too to do the job. Completed within 2 hrs on a 95 series.

The Haynes manual was helpful as a guide too.

Advanced Member
    I tried this today but for the life of me couldn't get the caliper bolts undone. Ended up breaking my socket wrench.
    Still tossing up whether to just go buy a cordless impact wrench or pay someone to do it.
    The cost to pay someone will likely be the same cost anyway so thinking I just buy the tools and then I have them forever.

Edit: I got the better of me and I went and bought a cordless Impact Wrench. It took a few goes at it but I got the buggers off. After that the pad change was easy peasy.
    Last edited by BiLLz0r; 28-01-2017 at 03:04 PM.
    2007 GXL V6 - ARB Bullbar with LED lights, snorkel, extractors, 2 1/4" dual exhaust, K&N filter, dimpled/slotted rotors, headrest dvd players, Ebay Satnav/reverse camera, GME 3100TX, Tigerz11 Side awning on custom brackets with Maxtrax mounts, 300W Invertor, ARB Underbody protection, Lightbar and STZ 265/70 tyres.
    Wish list in order I'll get them: Sliders, 2" lift, E-locker, Winch bar with winch.

an impact always makes things easy aye
    CANYONEROOOOO *whipping in the distance*

http://youtu.be/7ZeFDe44Ddo

Toyota LandCruiser Prado GXL V6 Red
    (APRIL 2006 BUILD)

Lurker
    Thanks mate, easy to follow. Saved me $$$ 👍

Thank you for the write up. I couldn't see the pics but the instructions were easy to follow.

Pads were easy to pull out and change and noticed a big difference. Local store had Bendix out on special a few weeks ago so did all 4 corners, done in just under 2 hours.

Cheers
    Mark
    2009 GXL D4D - Auto

Advanced Member
    Hi,

I'm up for front brakes again. I can't track down the front caliper bolt torque specs. If anyone has them or the parts diagram that shows the torque spec can you please post it up.

Thanks,
    2008 GXL D4D + Option Pack 1, Safari snorkel, factory alloy bar, dual battery system, Lovells TFR-118/TRR119 Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Prodigy P3 brake controller, factory tow bar, Orac coupling.

[QUOTE=Rusty62;543076
    This needs to be put on your regular maintenance program. Remove the rear discs, check pads and handbrake shoes, clean with brake cleaner or water, NO COMPRESSED AIR, re grease the adjuster nuts and reinstall.

Rusty.[/QUOTE]

Possible dumb queston ahead.... why no compressed air Rusty? what's the theory

Haven't done my own brakes in a couple years (Prado won't need for a while yet) but in the past i'd squirt around with the blow gun. what am i doing wrong?

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by gxl_d4d View Post
    Hi,

I'm up for front brakes again. I can't track down the front caliper bolt torque specs. If anyone has them or the parts diagram that shows the torque spec can you please post it up.

Thanks,
    You after this one?

Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 120 GXL D4D 6sp Man - My Rig

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast