Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 51
  1. #25
    Out of control poster! Anth120playdo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melb this minute elsewhere in OZ the next
    Posts
    5,218
    The standard exhaust is good for a 4cyl diesel.
    Cheers, Anth - Technician
    Prado 1kd-ftv D4d specialist

    SYDNEY trip in April
    FRESH Injectors @ 120,000k, ONLY use NEW DENSO & pipes
    NO CHIPS NO TUNE UPS - piston crack risk it - feeling lucky?

  2. #26
    Hi there, are any of you guys still running the chips?? I spoke to my mate who is a mechanic at Toyota and he said that he has worked on a number of Prado's that have been chipped and they have buggered the motor. I don't have details as to what happened but he did not recommend them. Am interested to here if anyone has had any problems with chipping after 100,000kms or more.

  3. #27
    Out of control poster! Anth120playdo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melb this minute elsewhere in OZ the next
    Posts
    5,218
    We recommend against chips & tune ups.

    The pistons are not up to it. There are a lot of operators learning about it.
    Cheers, Anth - Technician
    Prado 1kd-ftv D4d specialist

    SYDNEY trip in April
    FRESH Injectors @ 120,000k, ONLY use NEW DENSO & pipes
    NO CHIPS NO TUNE UPS - piston crack risk it - feeling lucky?

  4. #28
    Thanks mate, I squashed the idea and just settled on replacing the standard muffler with a hi flow, should be easier to get past the boss and get a bit more power and slightly better fuel economy.

  5. #29
    Knowing what I know now, I would NOT install a chip to a D4D, BUT... I WOULD put in a 2.75" or 3" exhaust.
    Stan Miko

    - 2007 120 Series 3.0L D4D

  6. #30
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    748
    Standard exhaust pipe work with a straight through muffler is excellent bang for buck ($200-$250 installed). Quicker turbo spool without loss of bottom end torque.
    2008 GXL D4D + Option Pack 1, Safari snorkel, factory alloy bar, dual battery system, Lovells TFR-118/TRR119 Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Prodigy P3 brake controller, factory tow bar, Orac coupling.

  7. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burpengary QLD
    Posts
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by gxl_d4d View Post
    Standard exhaust pipe work with a straight through muffler is excellent bang for buck ($200-$250 installed). Quicker turbo spool without loss of bottom end torque.
    ^^^^ x2

    It made more improvement than the DTRONIC chip, but it is better with both. If you are going to chip it as well you MUST get an EGT gauge fitted or you stand a good chance of doing damage. I would love to know how many of the chipped D4D's that failed had EGT's fitted. Ignorance is expensive bliss.....

  8. #32
    After a lot of deliberation I installed a Steinbauer with high flow muffler. Chose it because it doesn't alter common rail pressure which is what does all the damage. Makes towing a bit more relaxed.
    Steve

    2010 Silver GXL Prado 150, D4D Auto, with a few non standard bits

  9. #33
    Ive got a diesel power chip in mine. Whilst I was browsing the web page. I came across this warning


    Please note - for all wire-in modules, the use of hid spotlights and headlights will damage the diesel power module - refer to warranty page
    11/06 kdj120 gx wide body auto

  10. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burpengary QLD
    Posts
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by red hilux View Post
    Ive got a diesel power chip in mine. Whilst I was browsing the web page. I came across this warning


    Please note - for all wire-in modules, the use of hid spotlights and headlights will damage the diesel power module - refer to warranty page
    That's a new one, hasn't affected my DTRONIC (UNICHIP) in the last 8yrs/80000K.

  11. #35
    Advice i have been given by experts is if you need a chip and exhaust to get more power then you bought the wrong car and you should get a Landcruiser V8.

    My mate had exhaust and ECU remap done on his Pajero and he finally admitted last week to me that knowing now what he does and all the issues he has had he wishes he never did it.

    Each to their own but i have to admit if you want the grunt and speed of an SS Commodore then buy that and if you want to tow more then buy a Cruiser or bigger powered vehicle.

    Just an opinion.

  12. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigo View Post
    Advice i have been given by experts is if you need a chip and exhaust to get more power then you bought the wrong car and you should get a Landcruiser V8.

    My mate had exhaust and ECU remap done on his Pajero and he finally admitted last week to me that knowing now what he does and all the issues he has had he wishes he never did it.

    Each to their own but i have to admit if you want the grunt and speed of an SS Commodore then buy that and if you want to tow more then buy a Cruiser or bigger powered vehicle.

    Just an opinion.
    Don't Agree at All. Maybe someone needs the use of a hilux dual cab or finds the cruiser to big.

    The modern day diesel engines are so far advanced and capable these days. My last 3.0 D4D hilux had a HKS Fcon ID, Complete Exhaust system. GTurbo stage 2. We travelled for 9 months towing 2 tonne in over 40 heat up in the Savanah and it didn't miss a beat.

    The power and torque was double standard. It was a absolute pleasure to drive. The bloke I sold it to 18 months ago still calls me to talk about the vehicle.

    I could have bought a V8 200 series and had even contemplated it before modifying my hilux. I installed a canopy and the storage room in the back was double that of a 200. 1300 long drawers for starters.

    Anyway your definitely entitled to an opion and there's mine from my own personal experience.

    There's not a one 4wd does it all out there. That's what makes this hobby so much fun and FYI I have plenty of mates who have chipped their V8 Cruisers. If you call any of the live dyno tuners, the most popular vehicle on the dyno is the lc79 v8 turbo and the 200 v8 TD

    Have a nice day !

    Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •