Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by MickL View Post
    The FJ/Tacoma (2007-2009) TRD unit will fit the Prado 120. The whole kit is lest than $4K US out of the states and it includes everything you need. You keep the factory exhaust (if you wish). Try emailing TRDparts4U.com, they ship world wide.
    Yes, I came upon TRDpart4U.com. What worried me then is that TRD has two seperate p/n's for the FJ and Tacoma. If there was an identical layout in every truck/SUV with the 4.0 V6, wouldn't they have just one fit kit? which one fits the Prado?

double_d69 says Bullet states that the TRD s/c needs modifications to sit on the Prado? Does that apply with both fit kits, one wonders?

As to the ECU reflash, I've further concerns. The 1GR-FE is tuned differently in various markets; in Greece it's rated at 249psfor the 120, in the States (Tacoma) at 236ps, not sure in Australia. Suppose I reflash my ECU with the TRD file, what happens to my car, where performance and emissions are concerned? Can one size fit all?

Quote Originally Posted by croozza View Post
    I have a feeling that the TRD kit was either originally made for the 3.4ltr engine, and the mods are to make it fit the 4.0ltr engine, or the bracketry on the engine is different in the Australian model compaired to the US model.
    It's the pipes/hoses and brackets for the intercooler(water/air) heat exchanger which mounts in front of the factory radiator. There's probably a few minor engine bay brackets too.

Mick
    1KZ-TE Turbo Diesel, 5 speed manual, 3.5 inch lift, 265/70/17 Mickey Thompson MTZ, D-Tronic chip, Boost controller, mandrel exhaust, dump pipe, modified intake, ARB steel bar, Magnum winch, Safari snorkel, rear drawers, half cargo barrier, dual batteries, Uniden UHF, Sat Nav, reverse camera, Magellan XL , Tjm bash plates, ARB alloy roof rack, rear telescopic work light and numerous other modifications!!!
    Now with 3BAR MAP sensor & 18PSI Boost!

Quote Originally Posted by nkostaki View Post
    Yes, I came upon TRDpart4U.com. What worried me then is that TRD has two seperate p/n's for the FJ and Tacoma. If there was an identical layout in every truck/SUV with the 4.0 V6, wouldn't they have just one fit kit? which one fits the Prado?

double_d69 says Bullet states that the TRD s/c needs modifications to sit on the Prado? Does that apply with both fit kits, one wonders?

As to the ECU reflash, I've further concerns. The 1GR-FE is tuned differently in various markets; in Greece it's rated at 249psfor the 120, in the States (Tacoma) at 236ps, not sure in Australia. Suppose I reflash my ECU with the TRD file, what happens to my car, where performance and emissions are concerned? Can one size fit all?
    The differences are in engine bay layout (see my post above) the actual S/Charger is the same.

The reflash is for the extra fueling required under boost, the map you have in your ECU is irrelevant as it's not at all suitable.
    As for emissions, well you need to consult your local road authority in regards to the legalities in your country. If there are any concerns a custom tune on an interceptor type after market computer is pretty easy to get done.

Mick
    1KZ-TE Turbo Diesel, 5 speed manual, 3.5 inch lift, 265/70/17 Mickey Thompson MTZ, D-Tronic chip, Boost controller, mandrel exhaust, dump pipe, modified intake, ARB steel bar, Magnum winch, Safari snorkel, rear drawers, half cargo barrier, dual batteries, Uniden UHF, Sat Nav, reverse camera, Magellan XL , Tjm bash plates, ARB alloy roof rack, rear telescopic work light and numerous other modifications!!!

Lurker
    Mick, did I understand correctly you know people who installed a TRD to their Prado? Could you help me contact them and see what exact p/n's they bought, what mods they had to make and the results?

I'd be more than happy to make a synopsis here on pradopoint.com for the benefit of other members.

Quote Originally Posted by nkostaki View Post
    Mick, did I understand correctly you know people who installed a TRD to their Prado? Could you help me contact them and see what exact p/n's they bought, what mods they had to make and the results?

I'd be more than happy to make a synopsis here on pradopoint.com for the benefit of other members.
    Friggen hell, typed this reply twice now and lost it both times

Not Prados, Ive been involved with two Hilux installs now. The basic Hilux/Tacoma kit was used. The only issue faced being the ECU reflash as we couldn't find a dealer willing or able to help. In both cases aftermarket interceptor type piggy back ECU were used to make the required changes (ChipTorque - Exede @ about $1000AUS inc programing software)

The Hilux was sold in Australia in TRD Supercharged format by Toyota in limited numbers and the ECU can be obtained as a spare part but it's hideously expensive and I'm not even sure it's compatible with the Prado loom/connectors.

Mick

Who's going to take the plunge??? I just bought a boat so I'm out of the running. Does anyone know the shipping rate? You can get the smaller pully and tool to remove it in states as well. Also you can buy pre-programmed uni chip for the FJ Cruiser with S/C for around $600 US (plug and play).

Double_D
    2006 GXL Prado 1GR-FE - ARB Lockers & Bar, Tigerz11 Winch, snorkle, Custom Bash Gaurd & Steps, AJ4x4 Rear Bar, Spotties, UHF, Dual batt, 33" KM2s, Custom drawers, Ext Icon Coilovers, 4" SRC Shockies, Dobinson 4" Springs, Diff drop, Light Racing UCA's, Ext SS brake lines, Driveshaft spacer, Superior trailing arms, Nitro 4.56 diff gears, DBA Slotted brakes, TRD Supercharger, Bullet Ultimate Exhaust, XEDE Dual map Processor

Hey Guys,

I'm looking at the TRD chargers, I read on the FJ cruiser forum that some people here have bought these kits and made them work... I am tempted to get one from the US and see what goes. If its only some brackets then it shouldn't be too difficult. Biggest issue I'd believe is getting the piggy back ECU tuned at this stage...
    I am keen to hear of anyone who has one in Perth so I can look over their engine bay if possible???

Keen but bit scared.... mainly because of the coin at stake.... :O

Cheers
    Terry

Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by MickL View Post
    Friggen hell, typed this reply twice now and lost it both times

Not Prados, Ive been involved with two Hilux installs now. The basic Hilux/Tacoma kit was used. The only issue faced being the ECU reflash as we couldn't find a dealer willing or able to help. In both cases aftermarket interceptor type piggy back ECU were used to make the required changes (ChipTorque - Exede @ about $1000AUS inc programing software)

The Hilux was sold in Australia in TRD Supercharged format by Toyota in limited numbers and the ECU can be obtained as a spare part but it's hideously expensive and I'm not even sure it's compatible with the Prado loom/connectors.

Mick
    Hi Mick,

having been involved with two installs in Hiluxes (with the Tacoma kit), can you tell us if modifications to the TRD kit (hoses, brackets etc.) were needed. After that, one will only have to ascertain the differences in engine bay layout between the Prado and Hilux to know if this is doable. Does this make sense or am I bending the facts to suit my theory, I wonder.

Nikolas

The Toyota T100 (not to be confused with RK100) was a full-sized pickup truck introduced by Toyota in late 1992 as a 1993 calendar year vehicle.
    As Toyota firmly established itself in the North American compact truck market in the 1980s and 1990s, it seemed to many only logical that Toyota needed to capture part of the lucrative full-size truck market. Rumored for many years until finally becoming a reality in 1993, the first big Toyota truck boasted a full-size (8 ft) bed but retained the engine and suspension characteristics of a compact truck. Although it was a bit larger than the mid-size Dodge Dakota it was still smaller than a typical full-size pickup. It gave the T100 a unique position within the truck ranks. Though economical and reliable, in the grand scheme of things it was not the greatest selling vehicle and had not captured as much of the market as Toyota had hoped.

Advanced Member
    Errr thanks.. (is your middle name Harry?)
    2004 Prado GXL. v6 auto, ARB deluxe bar, exhaust, 2" EFS lift kit, Outback Acc rear bar,
    rallye 2000 spots, roof mount dvd, dig_options stereo, toyota roof bars.
    More to come!

Quote Originally Posted by timmay5.7 View Post
    Errr thanks.. (is your middle name Harry?)
    No .....last name

A nice small twin turbo set up would also work well on the V6's ?????
    2010 Kakadu with all the usual stuff.... Build up thread below
    http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread...daz%27s+kakadu

Advanced Member
    Works well enough on the 300zx, and quite a few commo v6's around.
    however the supercharger is a pretty well proven add on - especially when the hilux trd is essentially the same motor.
    2004 Prado GXL. v6 auto, ARB deluxe bar, exhaust, 2" EFS lift kit, Outback Acc rear bar,
    rallye 2000 spots, roof mount dvd, dig_options stereo, toyota roof bars.
    More to come!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast