No announcement yet.

Diesel cruising range on full tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currently averaging 9.15L / 100km after 15k and fill up after between 1200 and 1300 km driving which usually covers around town, highway and 4wding on each tank. I do expect the fuel consumption to rise when the bar and suspension are fitted and again when I fit proper tyres over the next few months.

Dave
    [B]Dave[/B] - 2010 Silver GXL Prado 150 TD Manual.

Comment

This is very interesting to me atm...... We have a Diesel 150 and mainly went that way due to that fact we hopefully will be keeping it LONG term and will use it for towing the Van through out Australia and in between our holidays, the missus drives it around.....Myself, well I'm currently researching into purchasing a dual cab ute and I'm currently looking at the Navara D22 3ltr TD or the Navara D22 V6 Petrol.... Now, it will be 2nd hand and probably out of any warranty period so that's got to factor into my decision...... As people know any problem with these modern diesels (of any make/brand) there is a HUGE cost should any thing go wrong with the engine.... be it mechanical or something as bad as a tank of dirty fuel..... costs are huge and then there is the COSTLY mods req'd to get that little bit more out of the diesels (ie: exhaust; Chips, etc)
      Petrols on the other hand mostly perform pretty well in standard form and "if" driven in a normal fashion return a reasonable economy. The ute that I eventually get will mainly be used for travelling to/from work with a bit of weekend 4wdriving in SE Qld and it "might" tow a trailer up the beach once in a blue moon....
      When factoring in the following:
      > Difference in the petrol/diesel purchase price of the Vehicle (Diesel Vehicles are usually dearer to buy)
      > Then the difference in servicing intervals
      > Difference in the petrol/diesel fuel purchase price (dependant on where u live..... but for me, Diesel is on Avg 13cents/ltr dearer YTD)
      > Difference Rego Costs (Here in QLD, the V6 is around $165 dearer than a 4cyl)
      > With purchasing a 2nd Diesel, not knowing the full service history of the Car can be concerning.... there by buying one with low kms is always a good idea.... which leads to a higher price paid.

For example.... For me I usually do about 18000kms per year in my car
      DIESEL:
      AVG Fuel Price - YTD:$1.484
      "Expected" Economy - 11.2ltrs/100kms (that's what my 150's D4D is getting)
      Litres used - 2018.6ltrs
      Fuel Costs - $2996.24
      Servicing Costs - Unknown but would be 2 Services for the year
      Rego Cost (Qld) - $630.45

PETROL:
      AVG Fuel Price - YTD:$1.35 (ULP)
      "Expected" Economy - 14.5ltrs/100kms (that's what I thought would be an AVG for a V6)
      Litres used - 2610ltrs
      Fuel Costs - $3523.63
      Servicing Costs - Unknown but would be 2 Services for the year
      Rego Cost (Qld) - $799.30

Difference being: ($696.23 for the Year or $13.40/wk) savings to run a the Diesel
      If the Initial Difference in purchase Price of the Vehicles was say..... $5000 cheaper for a Petrol
      $5000 divide by $696.23 = "7.18yrs" of driving b4 the Diesel starts getting ahead and that's as along as nothing goes wrong with the diesel during that period.... then factor in the mods (Exhaust/Chip) to get the diesel to perform like a Petrol and that figure blows out even more....
      I know that things can happen with Petrols, but generally speaking..... Diesels are always more expensive to repair then Petrols....
      I like my Diesels and have always had diesels..... but trying to justify buying a 2nd hand diesel over a V6 petrol for me.... is getting a little bit hard

Originally posted by Talktheroo View Post
      I thick, while it is fine to have great fuel economy, there's still the bigger picture. What I mean by that is the comsumption of all the other bits as well, eg. injectors, parts, oil changes, alternators, starter motors, etc, etc.. The true cost of a vehicle lies in the fine print and all must be considered. I thick you will find that the V6 150 series comes out on top when all is considered mainly because of the injector problem that still lags as a problem for the consumer and Toyota Australia with the 1KD-FTV.
      I know that some of you know that after owning one myself (KDJ-150), yes I got caught by those beautiful curves of the 150 series, that the truth is pretty simple. The problem is still there with the injectors for a lot of us. So frustrating for me, as it should have been the best small diesel engine Toyota has ever produced. Sadly, not to be in my opinion, because of something that is pretty stupid. I mean Toyota having injector problems, who would have ever thought.
      To be fair and I always try to be, there is a lot of things you have to do to bring the ZD30 Patrols up to scratch as well and this also includes late models. From crap ECUs to oil catch cans needing to be installed to save the MAF sensor, boost problems, etc, etc..
      The V6 150 series will be cheaper in the long run in my opinion as stated above. That's saying something coming from a person who has about 30 years of experience driving and working on diesels. Without a doubt, the 1GR-FE is a well balanced and is a beautiful engine. This body (150 series) and this motor belong together, an excellent marriage.
      The Roo.
      [I]cheers..... Rob (macca)[/I]
      [I][B][COLOR=DarkRed]Car-4: 1996 Defender Tdi [/COLOR][/B][/I]
      [I][B][COLOR=Blue]Car-3: 1996 Discovery Tdi Auto[/COLOR][/B][/I]
      [B][I][COLOR=Green]Car-2: 1993 Suzuki Vitara 4Dr (modified for Playing) [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]Now Retired[/COLOR][COLOR=Green] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
      [B][I][COLOR=DarkOrchid]Car-1: 2010 Toyota Prado 150's (Missus Car/current touring vehicle)[/COLOR][/I][/B]

Comment

Rob, i do about 25-30k a year, pull a 1.5t camper for about 3-5k of that and probably off road in low range or sand for maybe 2k. I had a petrol 120 and i can tell you my fuel bill for the year is half what it used to be. Also remember with the initial outlay for a diesel over petrol you are getting a lot of that back in resale price too.
        My 150 is getting around the 9.5-10L/100k and my petrol 120 was 15L/100.
        [size=1]2011 GXL D4D Auto | ARB Deluxe winch bar | Bilstein/Ridepro platinum lift | MT ATZ P3's | Dick Cepek Torque rims | Airtec snorkel | Lightforce Genesis 55w HID | GME UHF | 55w HID high beam | Rhino Rack bars & Cage | ISI extreme rack | Dual Optima Batteries | Milford MXV-70 cargo barrier | ARB onboard air | Prodigy P3 | Drawers & Black widow fridge slide | Waeco CF-50 | Kaymar rear bracket and LED light | EscapeGear seat covers | Sandgrabbas and more...[/size]

Comment

A D22 Navara with the 3ltr Diesel has the same motor as the 3ltr Pootrol, So it has the same inhererited bangyness, they are a time bomb waiting to go off, repair cost for the motor if this happens goes over $10000, constant towing excellerates the time for detination on this motor too, they are nowhere near as comfortable as the other utes on the market. The only reason they sold so many (still not as much as the Hilux or Triton), is because they were cheaper than the D40, the D22 is an old design too, originally come out in 1998 before updating the shape to what it is now after the D40 failed sales targets.
          97 VX Grande, with front & rear air lockers, ARB Sahara winch bar with tigers 11 winch, 2" EFS lift, 265/75/16 Achilles Desert hawk XMT, and more.

[B]Bitumen - A blatant waste of taxpayers money![/B]

Comment

As I said... in my situation where I'm only looking at doing about 18,000kms per year (not talking about touring here) to/from work and a bit of weekend 4wdriving & not wanting to spend heaps, I believe the D22 would meet my needs.... I know about the ZD30 history, especially in the Pootrol, but I was also been informed that the motor IS slightly different in the Navaras and therefore aren't prone to the same problems as the Pootrol..... I've visited many 4wd mechanics quizzing them about the problems/issues with the Navara's and they have all pointed towards getting the D22 / 3ltr TD version.... the later model the better. I sure there has been engine problems with the Navara D22 3ltr TD....but same can also be said about "some" Toyotas... Some people get a good run and some get a Lemon or Friday Built vehicle. There's been issues with the 79's/200's TD motor and as most know, injector problems with "some" of the Prados.....
            I haven't done that much research "yet" on the Petrols, but there "seems" to be a lot of issues with today's modern day diesels & if your unlucky enough to have one of these modern day diesels failed....then, there goes your holidays for the 10yrs .
            I'm not sure whether to take the gamble in buying a 2nd hand modern day diesel vehicle or play it reasonably safe and purchase the Petrol version and just cop the extra fuel bill ($13/wk is not that much anyway). If it turns out that I like the vehicle, then I would tend to keep it long term....
            Touring around the countryside with the van, I don't plan to use the Dual-Cab but we will be using our 150's D4D Prado as we purchased this with a 6yr warranty & know the history.

I know Diesels are better for economy and towing..... but this is along as you get a fault-free run out of them, which I guess the majority of people "may" do..... but how long do people hold onto their vehicles for these days, and how many kms do people accumulate on their Vehicles b4 they get rid of them? 100,000kms or 150,000kms or 200,000kms ?? Back in the old days 200,000kms on a Diesel wouldn't have worried me when buying a 2nd hand one (providing it was serviced correctly) but with today's diesel... I'm not sure confident
            These are just my thoughts/concerns.....
            comments welcome
            rob_macca67
            Avid PP Poster!
            Last edited by rob_macca67; 24-11-2011, 11:02 AM.
            [B][I][COLOR=Green]Car-2: 1993 Suzuki Vitara 4Dr (modified for Playing) [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]Now Retired[/COLOR][COLOR=Green] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
            [B][I][COLOR=DarkOrchid]Car-1: 2010 Toyota Prado 150's (Missus Car/current touring vehicle)[/COLOR][/I][/B]

Comment

I think towing is where the real benefits show up for diesels, I love the range I gst when towing.

If you are going to go into detail comparing costs then resale / deprecition becomes a significant factor, and must be included in the calcultions.
              [B]Steve[/B]

2010 Silver GXL Prado 150, D4D Auto, with a few non standard bits

Comment

I'm not referring to towing as mentioned previously..... I already have D4D for those times
                When buying 2nd hand (talking about 5yrs+ in age here) a lot of the depreciation has already been absorbed by the initial purchaser and any more loss would be comparable between Petrol vs Diesel (percentage wise that is) and it would also depend on the vehicles reputation & also if a new model had been introduced can effect prices.....

Originally posted by krypto View Post
                I think towing is where the real benefits show up for diesels, I love the range I gst when towing.
                If you are going to go into detail comparing costs then resale / deprecition becomes a significant factor, and must be included in the calcultions.

Comment

try petrol/gas, had a triton v6 on gas and was costing about $35 per 275klm around town and when loaded up for a cape trip was the cheapest to run up and back from sydney which had a bt50 doing 10lt per 100 on trip.
                  with d22 get 2003 onwards(thats when nissan fixed the problems with the engine) the only difference between d22 engine and patrol is the d22 dosn't have an intercooler
                  my old man had one very good car on/off road if your not carry load get the rear springs soften worth every cent in comfort

Comment

Diesel - LPG!

Hi pete8205

I have a 1KD D4D-2007 with LPG and have the best of both worlds with an impressive fuel consumption/Increased power and torque!

My profile below shows what my vehicle set-up is when achieving this fuel consumption and would not change as dramatically as a petrol engine would when introduced to extra carrying loads.

I have a 36Ltr LPG tank fitted on the O/S (drivers side) which only holds 24ltr of LPG in order to sustain an adequate vapor gap in the tank. (plus the LPG tank only sits 1/2" lower than the main tank).

I still get to carry 180Ltr of diesel and achieve 2,050km on 160ltr of diesel with approx 1 x tank of LPG. (24Ltr).

Approx 8-ltr per 100km for diesel and Approx 1-ltr per 100km of LPG. (providing that i didn't get ripped off @ the pump when i filled back to the fuel neck when the orange reserve light came on & only took 160ltr after 2,050km).

Those figures are achieved when driving a round trip to Queensland from the central coast (NSW). (Noosa return 2,000km).

I drive on average +10km so I'm sure those figures would improve if i stuck to the official speed limit.

Diesel per Ltr = $1.50

LPG per Ltr = $0.58c

I use 8Ltr of diesel & Approx 1Ltr LPG per hundred.

That works out to be $12 diesel & $0.58c LPG = $12.58c per 100KM.

I have had this set-up on my Prado since 10-08 and still happy with it.

Cheers

Comment

The only drawback with a diesel/LPG set up is, to run the LPG you still need to use diesel, so the diesel fuel to the motor is reduced at the pump, but when you run out of LPG and still have diesel, the amount of diesel to the motor is not increased back to normal, hence you will have poor performance, sluggish take offs, ect.
                      97 VX Grande, with front & rear air lockers, ARB Sahara winch bar with tigers 11 winch, 2" EFS lift, 265/75/16 Achilles Desert hawk XMT, and more.

[B]Bitumen - A blatant waste of taxpayers money![/B]

Comment

WHAT?????

How the hell did you work that conclusion out croozza????

The way the LPG works on the diesel engine is that the engine works 100% stock standard and the LPG vapor is introduced via turbo boost pressure only! (No ECU,No sensors,No electronics!!!).

When the engine on a diesel is running below say Approx 7pound (0.048psi) (What mine is set to) the LPG regulator does not introduce LPG vapor into the engine (No LPG on low boost or idle) via the turbo which is activated ONLY by boost pressure and "NO" electronics of any sort!!.

The LPG has NOTHING to do with the electronics of the engine nor is it introduced to the electronics of the engine!

The LPG system on the diesel turbo's is a TOTALLY independent system that has NOTHING to do with ANY ECU or engine management so how the hell does the LPG reduce or increase the diesel fuel pressures??

WHERE IS THE DRAWBACK???

Of course you can not run a diesel strictly on LPG as it is ALLOT more volatile than diesel under high compression so diesel has to remain in the combustion formula but the REGULATOR will not let more than 15% LPG vapor mix in with the diesel and only on high boost! (When engine boost drops EG "High RPM and no load or idle" then the gas regulator automatically shuts the LPG off).

This low introduction of LPG vapor with the diesel gives better and cleaner burning of the diesel/Higher torque/More power and cleaner burning with NO black soot under load and as my prado does frequent runs to Queensland shows a consistent long range fuel consumption!

When i run the LPG empty the engine goes back to running stock standard without having to switch the LPG off. The LPG system is a closed system but i can switch LPG off if i want.

Unlike LPG on a petrol engine where you loose a fuel tank and have to replace it with a Gas cylinder that reduces ground clearance at the back and uses twice as much liquid to achieve cheaper fuel costs you also loose torque and power when running LPG on a petrol engine where as on a diesel engine you GAIN extra Torque and fuel range!!

It is a whole new kettle of fish when running LPG on a petrol engine that ONLY runs either one or the other and not both.

Cheers
                        Last edited by SWR; 25-11-2011, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Hello ##########

I am NO colt follower of any product but the one that works

To date i have driven 119848km! ..... 79848km of that has been with running LPG!!

I also do not or have or had to own a scan gauge/Exhaust Temp Sensor/auto kill for a chip! and NO limp mode or check engine light! (except when blanked off the EGR! How dumb was i?).

Only two weeks ago when i removed the inlet manifold to clean it properly i also did a compression check via the glow plugs whilst the engine had been stood over night and without a "wet check" and still had 400-415psi compression!

That rules out burnt inlet/exhaust valves- scorched pistons and rings don't you think!

I still get 2,050km out of 160ltr of diesel

I may also add that I DO NOT and that i am NOT and have never been affiliated with any LPG product what so ever so there is no fear of me trying to out-shine a chip product but as this is an open forum and like all users i say it as it is with no bias and using LPG/Diesel clearly works for me without the black soot!

If you feel the need to attack then do so but those are my official figures and personal experience and YES i have had good look with it and am not constantly watching gauges whilst driving! I just turn the key and drive.

So how much does it cost all up for a chip/Scan gauge and not forgetting the exhaust temp probe to back-up warranty on your engine?

I got engine warranty without all the above extras and still running!

This is a forum that clearly has its fan-boy followers and i am not one of them! Sad!

The question was originally fuel range! I replied now it has caused upset?

I like LPG with diesel and you like the chip! Whats the problem??

PS doesn't extra fuel and higher fuel pressures stress the high press pump/injectors and generate more heat as well as put more stress on the engine? Hence the chip kill mechanism and exhaust temp probe?

Comment

Prado mileage

[QUOTE=Skywalkerrun;317871]Hello ##########

If you feel the need to attack then do so but those are my official figures and personal experience and YES i have had good look with it and am not constantly watching gauges whilst driving! I just turn the key and drive.

************************************************** ***************

QUote from Skywalker: "If you feel the need to attack then do so but those are my official figures "...

Huh?,

I'm just reading this forum, and I enjoy the discussion and opinions, but I didn't interpret anything written in this thread as if anyone was attacking anyone else...seriously, please just keep on posting your comments and your experiences, and don't assume that anyone is "attacking" your comments....because thats not the way I have interpreted any posts....maybe thats just me, but mr "roo often posts some very useful and interesting comments...

Please keep the posts and comments, don't be concerned by anyones replys, and certainly don't assume anyones comments are being attacked....becasue it absolutely may not be the case, and if it was the moderators will kick them out.

Personally, I love the 150 Prado GXL Auto Diesel. I don't believe I need gas or performance chips or extractors, as it tows well, drives well, cruises well, goes off road well, goes on the beach well....so far so good...in standard configuration. I get 8.8l/100km (this goes upto 9l/100km with a full load of adult passengers). I cetainly get somewhere between 1,500 and 1,600 km per fill, and each tank fill is about 130-135litres of diesel, because I fill up before its get too close to empty. BUt mileage will depend on many many things,as you know, roof racks, bull bars, suspension lift, make of tyres, tryre pressures, driving habits, city/highway etc.... so it will be very hard to make direct comparisions. BUt after almost 50,000km in less than 12 months, I get just below 9l/100km on average, but this goes up when off road, on beach and towing etc. I will be twoing my boat again tomorrow, and hope to catch some fish, and I love driving my Prado
                            SE Qld: GX 150GD Auto, (Feb'16 build): TJM T15 steel b bar, 9,500lb TORQ winch, TJM s steps, Rhino Pioneer Platform (42102B 1928X1236mm), front recovery points, Wynnum towbar, P3 brake controller, TNN Underbody guards, UHF, TREKtable & LED striplight, Custom Fridge & Drawers, Waeco CFX50, 9inch illuminator 160W LED spots, 40mm lifted Dobinson Suspension (Zordo's), ScanguageII, 30 Sec Wing Awning

Comment

When I drive, I drive for the pleasure. I don't particularly worry about the cost of fuel or try to get the lowest possible consumption. I see these grey nomads filling up and writing down mileage and litres and dollars as they tootle around this great land. I think to myself why worry about that. Petrol or diesel or LPG (if you can get it) costs what it costs. Enjoy the drive, enjoy the view, enjoy the environment and have a great day whether it be going to work or traversing the outback. Yes, I try to drive sensibly and always to the conditions but I'm not fixated on getting Xkm/litres. Yes, I know you have to have a bit of an idea of how much fuel you need to do the particular trip but there's no need to be anal about it unless, I suppose, you're one of these people who lives way beyond their means.
                              Dave
                              Views expressed are mine alone and are not intended to compromise the integrity of my employer nor offend those who may read such views.
                              Bugger Bali, get out and see Australia before we sell it all to China.

Comment

"When I drive, I drive for the pleasure."

Spot on Mr Bushbasher...folks, the Prado is a great car, get out and drive it. I keep an eye on mileage roghly so I can plan refuel stops or just to keep an eye on how the car is going, but for aslong as its under warranty, I really don't get to concerned about serious engine modification such as LPG or chips etc... enjoy it folks

But if you do modify it, or have some out of the ordinary experience, pelase share it..because there is lots of misinformation and ignorance out there....love my prado
                                brogers
                                Advanced Member
                                Last edited by brogers; 25-11-2011, 05:37 PM.
                                SE Qld: GX 150GD Auto, (Feb'16 build): TJM T15 steel b bar, 9,500lb TORQ winch, TJM s steps, Rhino Pioneer Platform (42102B 1928X1236mm), front recovery points, Wynnum towbar, P3 brake controller, TNN Underbody guards, UHF, TREKtable & LED striplight, Custom Fridge & Drawers, Waeco CFX50, 9inch illuminator 160W LED spots, 40mm lifted Dobinson Suspension (Zordo's), ScanguageII, 30 Sec Wing Awning

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                                mencisport.com
                                antalya escort
                                tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                gaziantep escort
                                gaziantep escort
                                asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                                erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                                atasehir escort tuzla escort
                                sikis sex hatti
                                en iyi casino siteleri
                                casibom
                                betticket istanbulbahis
                                Working...
                                X