Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    HKB Electronics
    As above and they also changed the charging setup so that it is now no longer possible to use a booster in the new Prado.
    HKB Electronics, manufacturer of the Alternator Voltage Booster, Silver 2008 D4D,Lifted,Underbody protection, Alternator Voltage Booster, Tiger Z winch, Lightforce DL, Air Horns, Tanami Drawers, Drop down fridge slide, Outback cargo barriers, Rotronics dual Battery system, Polaris GPS, HF/UHF/VHF, Radio speaker combiner, Long ranger water tank, Diff breathers, Inverter, Snorkel and others

If i knew what i was doing i'd rip apart the 2.8s alternator and fit a conventional old style regulator , putting out 14.2V. but then it would throw all sorts of canbus codes , and i'd be in more strife!!

Quote Originally Posted by nudgebar View Post
    If i knew what i was doing i'd rip apart the 2.8s alternator and fit a conventional old style regulator , putting out 14.2V. but then it would throw all sorts of canbus codes , and i'd be in more strife!!
    why not start with isolating the wires controlling the alternator one at a time. maybe with just the comms wire disconnected it'll revert to a fail-safe fixed output without error codes?
    Cheers
    Micheal.

2008 GXL D4D Auto. GOING... GOING... GONE
    2015 GXL 1GD Auto. And it begins again...

HKB Electronics
    Actually it may not, the ECU alternators I have looked at have a fall back mode where if they alternator looses communication with the controlling ECU it goes into a fall back mode whereby it reverts to constant voltage charging, ie similar to what happens in the models where you can turn off the smart charge function.

If you look at Toyotas service manual for the 2.8ltr it indicates if there is a charging issue, to interrogate the ECU and check if there are any stored codes. Now I'm only surmising so this may not be correct but I suspect if the charging systems plays up fault codes are stored but no check light will come on. From memory there is still the usual alternator fail light lead at the alternator, and this is used to bring up the alternator fail lamp on the dash.

Disconnecting the ECU control wire at the alternator may simply cause the alternator to revert to fixed charging with no indication that anything is wrong. Others use this fact to get round the smart charge function, search for "green wire mod" on the net.

As the alternator is controlled by the ECU it should be possible to turn it off similar to turning off the EGR function if you know someone who has the ability to locate the control and flash the ECU. There may even be a switch already there, it took the Mazda techs a long time before they discovered it could be turned off, unfortunately few of the factory tech if any actually seem interested in how the engine systems work or play to find out what you can and can not do.
    Last edited by LeighW; Yesterday at 07:33 PM.
    HKB Electronics, manufacturer of the Alternator Voltage Booster, Silver 2008 D4D,Lifted,Underbody protection, Alternator Voltage Booster, Tiger Z winch, Lightforce DL, Air Horns, Tanami Drawers, Drop down fridge slide, Outback cargo barriers, Rotronics dual Battery system, Polaris GPS, HF/UHF/VHF, Radio speaker combiner, Long ranger water tank, Diff breathers, Inverter, Snorkel and others

thanks , i looked at the circuit diagram , the alternator is connected to the Canbus via the instrument panel , so canbus may be the best option.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314