Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SEQ/CQ/NQ/FNQ - CAPE YORK 2013 (Brains, Richo, LFaR & other vehicles)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SEQ/CQ/NQ/FNQ - CAPE YORK 2013 (Brains, Richo, LFaR & other vehicles)

Okay Okay I'll start posting up some photos but I'm going to uses the ones I have watermarked.

Firstly here is our Logo! Richo, Matt LFar and myself along with my website Partner, Berin (Nissan Patrol driver) made our way to meet in the North. LFaR had departed prior to us and was able to do some scenic drives and camps heading north. I'll let Matt post up some photos. Unfortunately for us we had to head up to Cairns in a couple of Days due to leave and work commitments. We were also meeting up with another 2 vehicles at Musgrave Station (another Patrol -Tano and a Landrover Disco - Geoff). This is my recollections of our Cape York Adventure.

Thursday 13th June 2013

As I am always well prepared and never leave anything to the last minute I arranged to get my Federal Couragia MT 265/70/17 tyres prior to departing Brisbane. As there were only 4 available for me to get fitted in Brisbane I immediately had these fitted about 2 hours before we departed (I would have to pick up the spares in Cairns).

So the journey began for us at about 6.30pm on Thursday 13th June 2013 with a quick run up to Rockhampton where we had a quick Sleep. I had my eldest boy on board with me and we travelled with Berin in the Patrol.

The drive to Rocky wasn't too bad and we actually felt that it was a better option to travel during the night to miss the regular road works that we drove through on the way north. We managed to miss the stop/go as the workman obviously stopped work around 5.00pm.

Friday 14th June 2013

Berin and I ended up meeting up with Richo at 7.00am the next morning Friday 14th June 2013. Richo was rather excited and wanted to get going, the lure of the open road, the upcoming tracks and the prospects of recovering Nissans and Landrover's was beckoning. I think he may have also had more than one coffee and was suffering from some sort of Caffeine influx. From Rockhampton the plan was to head North to meet up with LFaR in Mission Beach. Unfortunately for us the tracks from SEQ through CQ to NQ looked like this at the start of this Adventure.

As we headed north Richo quite helpfully assisted the Highway Patrol in the testing of their mobile Radar equipment (He was trying to catch up to the Diesels and had just opened up the 200 killer wasps and let them sing). After this small stoppage we continued north and Richo only allowed about 152 killer wasps to sing. The journey was slowed by the continual road work sections and we decided to stop for a break.

After a short break we continued towards our meeting with LFaR. As we turned off the highway towards Mission Beach we could start to smell those fantastic smells associated with the north and as we drove closer to the coast a sense of the Adventure ahead excited up like a 13 year old boy with internet access. (A saying I heard on the latest 4WD Action DVD)
    We arrived at Mission Beach to a jolly LFaR carring a glass of wine and very happy to see the contingent for phase 1 of our Cape York Adventure.
    Last edited by Brains; 10-08-2013, 12:03 AM.
    [SIZE=2]Black 2009 150 Series D4D GXL Prado, [B]TG150[/B] Transfer Case & Actuator Guard, TJM T13 bar, TJM 9.5lb Winch, Airtec Snorkel, TJM steel sidesteps and sidebars, TJM Underbody Protection, TJM XGS Gold Suspension, Tinted, ARB Fridge Freezer, Couplertec System, Foxwing Awning, 80AH Dual battery, 8" indash GPS, Wet Seat seatcovers, GME TX3540, TX3110 & TX680, [B][COLOR=#ff6633]Maxtrax[/COLOR][/B], Kaymar Dual Wheel Carrier, Breathers, Federal MT's.[/SIZE]

finally, i like a good adventure tale, look forward to this

Cheers Derek
    Blue Storm 150 GXL 4D4 PRADO and 2014 Cub Brumby Camper My rig build [url]http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?25698-Derek11-s-2012-Blue-Storm-150-GXL-build-up[/url]

Comment

After setting up camp, we had a few medicinal ales and some mini beers that we introduced Richo and LFaR. We all packed it in for the night and thoughts of tracks, equipment, recovery gear, tyres, pressures, and the anticipation of the OTT filled our heads as we drifted off to sleep.

Saturday the 15th June 2013

The next day we awoke and after packing up the tents we went for a quick look at Mission Beach. There are some sights that you never forget and this photo really captures the beginnning of this Adventure for me.

We dragged ourselves back to the Prado's and Nissan and departed Mission Beach. My plan was to head to Cairns to pick up my two spare Federal Couragia MT Tyres that I had so carefully planned leaving Richo and LFaR to travel at their own pace to Port Douglas. I made it into Cairns with Berin and headed straight for Federal Tyres to take up with Ben who had fitted me in and had the 2 tyres ready for me with little notice. I've got to say that Ben and his staff at Federal in Cairns are a great bunch of guys and if you ever need anything when you are up in Cairns don't hesitate to go and see them. They also stock Micky Thompson as weel as other brands and carry a large amount of stock (the reason I couldn't get the tyres in Brisbane - they had all the stock).

After getting the spares sorted I had a few extra items to pick up from places like BCF, Rays outdoors as well as some more food items that I had run out of time to get due to my extensive planning and time management skills! I also managed to visit a friend during the short stay in Cairns.
      My wife and youngest son flew to Cairns with Berin's wife and children due to work commitments and I was promptly at the airport to pick them up just after 3.00pm. Once the precious cargo was on board we then headed to Port Douglas where Richo and LFaR were waiting for us. A couple of packing changes and a final fitting of equipment with the two spares and the Maxtrax attached and we were ready for the Journey ahead.

Sunday the 16th June 2013

We woke to another great day for Prado's on Sunday the 16th June 2013 as we had packed up camp and were about to depart when Berin's Nissan Patrol wouldn't start (a quick press of a button to start the 150's prior to throwing out any Nissan burly took place). It looked like the Nissan was sucking in some air in the fuel line and a quick manual pump rectified the issue and we were on our way. From Port Douglas we headed to the Daintree and our initial plan to do the CREB was short lived as the website was saying it was closed. We then took the Plan B and crossed the Daintree Ferry and headed up the Bloomfield Track crossing some small water crossings and weirs and continued through to Endeavour Falls.

Crocodiles seen - 0

Last edited by Brains; 10-08-2013, 12:02 AM.
      [SIZE=2]Black 2009 150 Series D4D GXL Prado, [B]TG150[/B] Transfer Case & Actuator Guard, TJM T13 bar, TJM 9.5lb Winch, Airtec Snorkel, TJM steel sidesteps and sidebars, TJM Underbody Protection, TJM XGS Gold Suspension, Tinted, ARB Fridge Freezer, Couplertec System, Foxwing Awning, 80AH Dual battery, 8" indash GPS, Wet Seat seatcovers, GME TX3540, TX3110 & TX680, [B][COLOR=#ff6633]Maxtrax[/COLOR][/B], Kaymar Dual Wheel Carrier, Breathers, Federal MT's.[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by derek11 View Post
        finally, i like a good adventure tale, look forward to this

Cheers Derek
        I'll do my best, Have to do it over a few nights as it will get more in depth when we get to the good stuff.

Comment

The Bloomfield track is a great start to the adventure as it takes you through some great areas of rainforest and steep inclines and declines. It is great to take your family through areas like this and they really get to see this great country of ours. Here is a weir crossing on the Bloomfield. As good as photos are nothing compares to the actual picture you see through your own eyes along with the smells, sounds and feelings that are evoked when experiencing this.

We also had a quick stop in Cooktown where we refuelled the vehicles and picked up any supplies that we needed. We managed a quick look around and it's hard to imagine what had happened at this location back in 1770.

After departing Cooktown we made our way to our overnight stay at Endeavour Falls. As we arrived as the light was fading the kids (big and smaller) went and had a look at the falls while some of us set up camp. Richo's continual one line comment after setting up his Oztent RV3 30 Second Tent would soon come to haunt his fellow campers. We all settled in for a feed, a few drinks and discussed the next days tracks and route which we had planned. Once we had gone over the route and discussed departure time we all got some shut eye.

Monday the 17th June 2013

We woke, had breakfast and packed up the campsite with some taking longer than others. (Not everyone had a 30 second tent Richo!!!) We all then walked down to take in the Falls prior to heading to Cape Melville.

Crocodiles seen - 0

To be continued....
          Last edited by Brains; 10-08-2013, 09:33 PM.

Comment

A good read, look forward to the rest
            Dan
            2012 GXL T/D Auto in white....ARB Bullbar, Bash plates, Alloy Roofrack, Awning and IPFs/ Airtec Snorkel/ GME UHF/ MSA Seatcovers/Outlaw Exhaust/ MT P3s/ OME lift/ Kaymar Rear Bar/ Drifta drawers/ ARB 60L fridge/ Powerful 4x4 Rock Rails/ Magnum 12K winch/ Sandgrabbas

Comment

The track departing Endeavour Falls was quite lush but the track would change many times during this trip out to Cape Melville. It was at this point that the sealed roads were behind us and we really began to feel that the adventure was about to begin.

The tracks via the Starcke River Goldfields weren't too bad being able to maintain a consistent speed around 60klms/hour. The track changed from the lush green pastures and plainlands full of ant nests after departing Endeavour Falls to gravel roads, dirt tracks as we headed towards Cape Melville.

The track changed as soon as we entered the Cape Melville National Park. Our speed dramatically decreased as we traversed through some water eroded tracks with holes on the side, to dusty sandy tracks to steep inclines and declines.

Crocodiles seen - 0
              Last edited by Brains; 08-08-2013, 10:55 PM.

Comment

I haven't seen pics of the Discovery yet..... has it broken down already or haven't u guys meant up yet
                [I]cheers..... Rob (macca)[/I]
                [I][B][COLOR=DarkRed]Car-4: 1996 Defender Tdi [/COLOR][/B][/I]
                [I][B][COLOR=Blue]Car-3: 1996 Discovery Tdi Auto[/COLOR][/B][/I]
                [B][I][COLOR=Green]Car-2: 1993 Suzuki Vitara 4Dr (modified for Playing) [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]Now Retired[/COLOR][COLOR=Green] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
                [B][I][COLOR=DarkOrchid]Car-1: 2010 Toyota Prado 150's (Missus Car/current touring vehicle)[/COLOR][/I][/B]

Comment

Great report and pictures so far. Takes me back to my two cape trips a few decades ago (crap that long ago!!).

It's like reading the cartoons, just can't wait for what's up next.

Hazza
                  Silver 120 Series Diesel GXL 2009 with Option Pack 2, king Springs 2" Lift with 'H' front spring, MT ATZ 4-RIB, Dual Battery, Deluxe ARB Bull-bar, Winch, Towbar, Anderson 50 amp plug at the rear, Weather Shields, Bonnet and Head Light Protectors, Rubber Mats inc Cargo mat, UHF Ariel, Portable Uniden UHF plugs into areal, On-board ARB Compressor, Brains Black Box TG150 Protector, Rear Black Duck Seat Covers.

Comment

The trip to Cape Melville took about 9 to 9.5 hours with a two stops for food and drinks and a third stop for firewood. Our average speed for the entire 200klms was around 25 km/hr. Instead of going via Starcke we could have taken the inland track through Kalpower. The route through Kalpower would be around 6 to 7 hours. the drive via Starcke was a great experience for those driving the vehicles. Not so much for the passengers. Our two boys were in the back of our Prado and Berin had their two kids in the back of their Patrol. It was at this time that Richo and LFaR acquired a Navi in their front passenger seats. This gave the kids a break from sitting in the back through the rough stuff.

After the arduous journey for the passengers and the scintillating 4wding for the drivers we arrived at Cape Melville. Once again our arrival would only allow us about an hour of light so we quickly checked out Bathurst Bay and originally we had planned to Camp at the Granite Camping (another few klms up the bay) but due to the fading light and the status of the passengers the decision was made to just set up camp at the Crocodile Camping. After setting up the complete campsite as we had a 2 night stay here we dined on pizzas made from scratch in the Weber Q. We also made use of the firewood we had collected that day and after dinner retreated to sit around the fire before putting the kids to bed, having a nightcap and then off to sleep ourselves.

The winds after dark picked up and blew constantly through the night.

Tuesday the 18th June 2013

The next day we awoke to another beautiful day. We pretty much just took it easy around camp with LFaR taking the boys exploring and Richo taking the boys for a spot of fishing. I must thank Richo and LFaR for taking the time to interact with our kids as they really enjoyed the time they spent in Richo's car listening to the tunes of the 60's and 70's and playing eye spy with LFaR. Plus it also gave them a break from the back seat.

Crocodiles seen - Still 0
                    Last edited by Brains; 10-08-2013, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rob_macca67 View Post
                      I haven't seen pics of the Discovery yet..... has it broken down already or haven't u guys meant up yet
                      We meet up with the Disco at Musgrave Station.

Comment

Loving this trip report! Cant wait for the next update.
                        NOW FOR SALE!!! - 2004 Silver GXL 3lt 4spd Auto - ARB Bullbar, Safari Snorkel, Redarc Dual Battery System, Cooper ST MAXX, Dark Tint, IPF900XS spots, Raised Bilstein/Kings Suspension/Firestone Airbags, Autosafe Cargo Barrier, Sandgrabbers, Rola Roof Rack Stuff, Insect Screen, Dust/Wind Deflectors, Sheepskin/Black Duck Seatcovers, GME TX3510, ARB underbonnet compressor, Allied Hammer Rims, ARB UVP, [url="http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?18043-Rock-sliders-steel-side-steps"]AJ Sliders[/url]

Comment

Richo must have organised air fuel drops to keep the big V6 juiced up Paul !
                          [CENTER][B][U]Matt
                          [/U][/B]2012 Silver GXL TD 6 Speed manual with some stuff..
                          [/CENTER]
                          [CENTER][SIZE=2]My 2008 Lifestyle 360i camper - [URL]http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=21797.0[/URL]
                          My 4WD Action write up 2004 120 V6 Prado - [URL]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/articles/2012/complete-package[/URL][/SIZE][/CENTER]
                          [SIZE=2]
                          [/SIZE][CENTER][SIZE=2]
                          [/SIZE][/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Madkore View Post
                            Loving this trip report! Cant wait for the next update.
                            Probably tomorrow night have a Pradopoint Steak night to try and get to after working late. No doubt we'll be checking out all the new bit in the car park until tomorrow morning like last time.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt - mr4x4 View Post
                              Richo must have organised air fuel drops to keep the big V6 juiced up Paul !
                              Quite amazingly he procured an unleaded fuel tanker which travelled during the night while we were sleeping and was waiting for him at regular intervals on the Development Road.

Actually there are ample options to refuel up the Cape. Our longest driving without a refuels was out to Cape Melville and back to Musgrave Station.

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                              mencisport.com
                              antalya escort
                              tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              gaziantep escort
                              gaziantep escort
                              asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                              erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                              atasehir escort tuzla escort
                              sikis sex hatti