Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buying a Prado - what to look out for

90 series
    Check Dashboard to see if you can grab the outer ends of the dash and move it up and down. http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread...l=1#post506226

KZJ95

Crack in the LHF upper inner guard area towards the rear http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread...l=1#post506224

120 series
    Common things to look out for
    Cracked dashboard
    Rust under rear (cargo) door seal
    Sovereign bullbar mount CSE ("recall") – this campaign has now ended late 2013
    Inner guard cracking
    Crack on rear (cargo) door near hinges
    Tailshaft clunk
    Evaporator leaking
    Cracked fuel filler hose
    Floppy or stiff auto gear shift lever

1KZ-TE
    Cracked heads

1KD-FTV (Nov 2006 onwards)
    Injector issues
    Injector seats
    Injectors out of range
    Clogged oil sump pickup

1GR-FE
    Engine mounts

Grande
    Rust at the front on sunroof
    Tear/leaks on rear airbags due to age

150 series
    Inner guard cracking (pre-facelift models)
    Tailshaft clunk

1KD-FTV
    Injector issues
    Injector seats
    Injectors out of range
    Clogged oil sump pickup
    Last edited by amts; 20-03-2017 at 12:32 PM.
    If you have experienced D4D engine failure, please complete this survey ​http://goo.gl/forms/bpJSYjq0Zx
    My Rig Build up

Out of control poster! MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    120 Series: 1KD-FTV (Nov 2006 onwards) + Grande

Deformed nut used to hold the steering wheel. Toyota have refused to deal with this issue stating " This is not a factory issue or genuine part" They say the nut used to hold the steering wheel is the sole responsibility of the owner.

They also take no responsibility for the passenger seat warmer which again is an after market addition. There is a High Court case challenging Toyota's position on the said seat warmer, noting they may have a responsibility to reasonably expect the additional of said item and as such a responsibility to place warning stickers clearly visible to the driver to remove the seat warmer as it is a risk.

Personally, I would like to see a recall on the seat warmer.........

mlc (in the dog house when the seat warmer sees this.......)
    Bitumen: A blatant waste of taxpayers money!
    My rig buildup Mundaring Power Lines Jan 01 You Tube Video Morgan Quarry

Out of control poster! mjrandom's Avatar
    Andrew I think you should include water pumps in the 1KD motors, I know of several failing on or around warranty plus 1km.

And did anyone mention diffs?
    Bluestorm mafia and maybe one or two other vices.
    My 150: http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread...-D4D-automatic

Lurker
    Thanks for the information amts, will certainly look out for these issues as I look for my new ride

Andrew - good thread
    I would add for the 1KZ that the glow plugs have been changed every 100,000km.
    Silver '04 KZJ120~Manual~GXL~Dobinson/Kings lift~Custom valved Ironmans~Detroit Locker~Endless Air~X9 Superwinch~Madman EMS1~TJM Dual Battery~Rhino Roof Tray~120W solar panel~Foxwing awning~Bushskinz UVP~Long Ranger water tank~Bushman fridge~Steinbauer P-Box~Beaudesert 2 3/4"~Airtec Snorkel~TJM Sliders~Prico Boost Gauge~BFG-KO2s~TPMS~GME TX3420~Front and Rear Cameras~Ultimate Camper hanging off the back!

Lurker
    well all I can say is that I have never had a problem with the motor never changed the injectors or the glow plugs in 20o plus ks and I might all say that it is running most mods on the motor including a dp chip which is running on setting 9 and a remote boost controller wound up to 13psi and im still getting 10 lts per 100 and I drive it like I stole it flat out everywhere. I cannot complain bout the 120 series at all (apart from a fuel tank issue) but I love the little girl never let down not once just keep up the oil changes and an eye on exh gas and turbo pressure. would rather have one of these motors than a common rail on
    "wounds heal but scars last for ever"

Blog Entries
    Andrew
    Where would be the best place/s to get my injectors checked (I hear NOT Toyota).

MY CAR:
    Grande - made December 2008 1st registered March 2009 - 160K on the dial and been a shopping trolley all its life.
    Never been off the bitumen done some longish trips and very clean car
    AND I will be checking:
    "1KD-FTV (Nov 2006 onwards)
    Injector issues
    Injector seats
    Injectors out of range
    Clogged oil sump pickup"

I also heard somewhere on the forum that the 2008 plus D4D's do not have the same "Injector problem" as earlier 120's??
    Thanks
    Larry D
    YMUS
    Quote Originally Posted by amts View Post
    90 series

120 series
    Cracked dashboard
    Sovereign bullbar mount recall – this campaign has now ended late 2013
    Inner guard cracking
    Tailshaft clunk

1KZ-TE
    Cracked heads

Injector issues
    Injector seats
    Injectors out of range
    Clogged oil sump pickup

1GR-FE
    Engine mounts

Grande

150 series
    Inner guard cracking
    Tailshaft clunk

1KD-FTV
    Injector issues
    Injector seats
    Injectors out of range
    Clogged oil sump pickup

Quote Originally Posted by YMUS View Post
    Andrew
    Where would be the best place/s to get my injectors checked (I hear NOT Toyota).

MY CAR:
    Grande - made December 2008 1st registered March 2009 - 160K on the dial and been a shopping trolley all its life.
    Never been off the bitumen done some longish trips and very clean car
    AND I will be checking:
    "1KD-FTV (Nov 2006 onwards)
    Injector issues
    Injector seats
    Injectors out of range
    Clogged oil sump pickup"

I also heard somewhere on the forum that the 2008 plus D4D's do not have the same "Injector problem" as earlier 120's??
    Thanks
    Larry D
    YMUS

Regarding buying a second hand Prado (im looking at 2012 D4D) I have 3 questions:

1/ Whats the best way to tell if the injectors are OK without computer? Noisy at cold start is hard to pick when you have nothing to reference it to. Most Diesels are noisy at start up so how much is acceptable? Are there any other tell tale signs?

2/ Have the injector issues been fixed on the 150 series Prados? Has the injectors been fixed and has the injector related dirty oil pick up issue been fixed?

3/ Does the Prado have a DPF and if so what are the related issues? Cost, servicing any other issues? Are you guys blocking off your EGR valves with success? I see you guys use Provent filters with good success too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by mattstruck View Post
    Regarding buying a second hand Prado (im looking at 2012 D4D) I have 3 questions:

1/ Whats the best way to tell if the injectors are OK without computer? Noisy at cold start is hard to pick when you have nothing to reference it to. Most Diesels are noisy at start up so how much is acceptable? Are there any other tell tale signs?

2/ Have the injector issues been fixed on the 150 series Prados? Has the injectors been fixed and has the injector related dirty oil pick up issue been fixed?
    If your buying a 2012, unless its high mileage and lacks service records, you should be able to get another - EDIT - 3 years factory warranty up to 150,000km. $1800 or so? I think cost for the dealer is $1340 for extra 3 years 150,000km maximum distance.

By 2012 there were several changes. 2012 vehicles I think are fine, from what a servicing poster reported.

Evidently fuel filters are a key benefit. Also the quality of the diesel. Cetain level diesel fuel required is 50; most diesels are not that level. It was said that BP's premium diesel is that level???

########## was my reference. This thread covered a fair bit:

http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread...dealer+auction
    Last edited by MelbournePark; 20-08-2014 at 11:31 PM.

Lurker
    I have had my 2014 GXL for about four months. Before you buy it, take it for a test run. Mine has a Drone in it at about 80km/hr at about 1600rpm - 2000rpm, it is pretty bad, and Toyota have admitted there is a problem with all the GXL diesel. I had Fair Trading drive it and said it was not acceptable, he also drove two others, and said they all have the similar problem - these are new one's. So take it for a good drive before you buy as some sound worse than others. I believe one of the other members had to try and fix it himself, Toyota seem to have washed their hands of it. Mine was $63,000 with a lot of extras, good luck with the car hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
    I have had my 2014 GXL for about four months. Before you buy it, take it for a test run. Mine has a Drone in it at about 80km/hr at about 1600rpm - 2000rpm, it is pretty bad, and Toyota have admitted there is a problem with all the GXL diesel. I had Fair Trading drive it and said it was not acceptable, he also drove two others, and said they all have the similar problem - these are new one's. So take it for a good drive before you buy as some sound worse than others. I believe one of the other members had to try and fix it himself, Toyota seem to have washed their hands of it. Mine was $63,000 with a lot of extras, good luck with the car hunting.
    No drone in mine, whisper quiet for all 15k kms since new. There is a baffle in there to stop it now. Has been around for years but not all of them have it for some reason.
    -=2014 GXL D4D Auto Graphite, Firestone Airbags, ARB/Optima D34 Dual Battery, ARB UVP, TJM Airtech Snorkel=-

Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by amts View Post
    90 series

120 series
    Cracked dashboard
    Sovereign bullbar mount recall – this campaign has now ended late 2013
    Inner guard cracking
    Tailshaft clunk

1KZ-TE
    Cracked heads

Injector issues
    Injector seats
    Injectors out of range
    Clogged oil sump pickup

1GR-FE
    Engine mounts

Grande

150 series
    Inner guard cracking
    Tailshaft clunk

1KD-FTV
    Injector issues
    Injector seats
    Injectors out of range
    Clogged oil sump pickup
    just a question, is there nothing under the 90 series heading on purpose?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast