Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Quote Originally Posted by peter_mcc View Post

This was the 5th kangaroo/wallaby I've hit and the first to do any damage - the other 4 all hit lower down on the "main" part of the bar and then went underneath. The bar has some small dents from that but you had to look hard to see them. The difference this time is that the roo was bigger and in "mid hop" - there was a muddy mark from the tail above the drivers side bull bar blinker (you can see it in the night time photo).
    Mate have you considered getting a good quality electronic roo shoo? I know a bloke who used to run newspapers from melb to mildura and he stopped hitting them once get got a good quality unit.

Quote Originally Posted by cuda View Post
    Do you know if the AFN bar is compatible with the new VX with its front sensors?

Thanks
    Some bars can have the front sensors reto fitted. Amarok and 200 series have been done. I havent fitted a bar to a prado with parking senors yet so unable to say.

Nice Job Peter, could have been a lot worst.

Op
    Quote Originally Posted by peter_mcc View Post
    so... I was just driving along... at 110km at 10pm at night just outside Longreach... when another kangaroo jumped out in front of me. I've long decided not to swerve for them so I hit the brakes and it went "thump". Next thing there were bits of plastic flying over the windscreen. I hit the anchors and pulled over wondering how much damage had been done.

The end result of skippy vs AFN bar was a draw - both died. Thankfully the AFN bar did what it was meant to and the Prado lives on with only cosmetic damage - ie no grill. I'm going to make an insurance claim because the grill alone is $750 + bar + Runva control box (doesn't work) + light bar (mounts damaged, I don't trust it anymore because the last one worked for a few months after hitting 2 kangaroos then died) + labour.

This was the 5th kangaroo/wallaby I've hit and the first to do any damage - the other 4 all hit lower down on the "main" part of the bar and then went underneath. The bar has some small dents from that but you had to look hard to see them. The difference this time is that the roo was bigger and in "mid hop" - there was a muddy mark from the tail above the drivers side bull bar blinker (you can see it in the night time photo).

I suspect that the body of the roo hit the light bar which then concentrated the load on the two mounting holes which is where the cross member failed. If I'd had two spot lights instead of a light bar (like I did the week before the incident) something different may have happened.

Talking with Gavin at AFN Australia I have one of the very early bars - the cross member design has apparently been changed since mine to be stronger. The comment back from AFN is that there is a tradeoff between making the bar too strong (leading to the chassis bending) and too weak (leading to the bar breaking prematurely).

Thinking about it as I drove around the NT I wonder what would have happened with a different bar design - the cross bar on the AFN bar is a lot higher than most of the other ones on the market. What happens with them when a kangaroo hits higher up? Do they end up going through the "big hole" in the bar and into the radiator?

I'd love to see what has happened to other people when they hit animals - would an "animal strikes" thread be allowed, showing car damage and dead animals (for size)? Would it interest anyone else?

Photos:

pictures

Quote Originally Posted by MarkoG View Post
    Hi 9magenta,
    I fitted my AFN bar to my Prado a couple of weeks ago.

Took heaps of pictures, can get some of wheel arch, & under body bash plates that come with bar, but I have no idea of how to or if I can upload pictures onto this site.

Marko
    Good afternoon Marko can you please send some pictures as I am interested on ordering the AFN bullbat for my Prado 150 2015 model my email address is ednateddy@gmail.com.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789