GXL Rear Seat Removal How To - With Photos

This weekend marked the time in my life when the rear seats of my GXL had to go. After much googling I found the instruction manual everyone else uses:
    http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread...t-modification

I thought I'd put up a bit of a step-by step with photos to make life easier for others in the future. This will take a few posts as there's many photos and I can only have 5 per post.

Remove the tie down points. A 10mm socket gets the bolts out.
    Lift out the fold up floor. This is held in with plastic clips that require a little force to remove.
    IMG_0587.jpg

With the fold up floor out, it is possible to lift out the left and right wing panels. These are also held in place with plastic clips, a gentle lever up gets them out pretty easily.

Left:
    IMG_0590.jpg

Left Panel Removed:
    IMG_0588.jpg

Right:
    IMG_0589.jpg

Right Panel Removed:
    IMG_0592.jpg
    Last edited by Spilsy; 05-06-2015 at 07:56 AM.
    Spilsy - Today is the tomorrow you were shitting yourself about yesterday - Billy Thorpe
    2013 Turbo Diesel GXL

The next step was to remove the rear kick panel thing. This is held in place with 3 bolts. A 10mm socket is required again. I failed to get a photo for this as I was busy struggling with the clips holding the panel in place. It requires a bit of force to get out.
    This is from the manual and shows the extent of the task:
    Capture.JPG

Across the seats is a metal plate, held in with 2 more bolts, guess what, a 10mm socket gets these out too.
    IMG_0593.jpg

On the left and right there are 2 more metal bracket things with another 2 bolts. I'm sure you've worked out which socket is needed.
    IMG_0594.jpg

Left Bracket Removed:
    IMG_0595.jpg

Right Bracket Removed:
    IMG_0596.jpg

We are now on the home stretch - one more post should cover it!
    Spilsy - Today is the tomorrow you were shitting yourself about yesterday - Billy Thorpe
    2013 Turbo Diesel GXL

Now that all the brackets are out, its time to finally remove the seats.
    To do this, you will need to lift up/out the seat bases (as you would do setting up the seats). This will reveal the bolts (a 14mm socket here, not a 10mm) holding the backs of the seats in place.
    IMG_0598.jpg

Now, coming in from the rear doors, flick open the little tabs to reveal the final bolts for each of the seats.
    IMG_0599.jpg

Guess what, the seats are now ready to be removed. Remember that these weigh about 20kg each, so be careful with the lifting!
    IMG_0600.jpg

With the seats removed, go nuts. Me, I'm putting in a new set of drawers...here's the starting body work:
    IMG_0601.jpg.

I hope you can find this helpful. I know I struggled very slightly with the manual...
    Last edited by Spilsy; 01-06-2015 at 07:38 AM.
    2013 Turbo Diesel GXL

Thanks for posting Spilsy, very helpful for those of us who plan on doing drawers.
    2010 150 gxl D4D with ARB delux bar, towbar! Custom DIY drawers, rhino HD bars, 2" Dobinsons, platform rack, IPF lights and BFG AT2 and extras

As a follow up - The cabin noise increases without the seats. There's no sound insulation in the rear floor pan. Even with my new drawers, the noise has increased. I will be installing some acoustic foam beneath the drawers when I can get myself to clark rubber.
    2013 Turbo Diesel GXL

rear seats

Great post , just easier with pics and when someone has done it, I like easy. Thanks.

Planning on doing this over the coming weekend. What have people used under their drawers for sound deadening?

Excellent post, thanks for sharing, might just be the kick I need to get mine out finally. TBH I thought this was a much bigger job.
    2012 D4D GXL Auto - Graphite with some TJM enhancement.
    My Build Up

A Truly Happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery whilst on a detour!!!