Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    D4-Do we dare take our D4D outback again?

Yep we are gunna do it, after much disappointment from our D4D engine failure last year after crossing the Simpson Desert we have decided were going back to do it again. After 10k for a new long engine and a really bad dealer & Toyota experience I wanted to sell the 120 and never buy another Toyota. The Mrs talked me into keeping 120 as it only has 130,000klms and a brand new engine. After slowly building trust in the engine we decided would trust the old girl to do another crossing, she has only done 3,000klms with the new engine.

Hopefully the 120 will make it trouble free, don't want to be on another tilt tray any time soon,

FWD17

Yeah that's a bad story. To be honest I don't rate a lot of what Toyota produce anymore. Not only is it no longer legendary reliability but the support from Toyota is a joke as well. The Toyota of years ago that built a solid reputation is nowdays just living on its reputation and nothing more.

Some of the links to these posts should be on the Toyota facebook pages etc so people get the real picture of what they can expect if they have an issue.

I've spent more money and done more maintenance in the 4 years on my 120 than I have done on my 18 year old Commodore ute. I have nothing against maintenance but these things seem to need a lot of hand holding to live a long life. Just my opinion.

I feel for you with a new engine as that sucks. I could sell you a ute with over 400,000 klms on it that hasn't needed wheel bearings, injectors, CV joints, sump pickups checked or anything more than one clutch and oil and plug changes. Oh and one fuel pump. Starts first time and has driven me everywhere.
    Last edited by thebigo; 24-04-2017 at 07:24 PM.

Out of control poster!
    Melb this minute elsewhere in OZ the next
    Quote Originally Posted by FWD17 View Post

Yep we are gunna do it, after much disappointment from our D4D engine failure last year after crossing the Simpson Desert we have decided were going back to do it again. After 10k for a new long engine and a really bad dealer & Toyota experience I wanted to sell the 120 and never buy another Toyota. The Mrs talked me into keeping 120 as it only has 130,000klms and a brand new engine. After slowly building trust in the engine we decided would trust the old girl to do another crossing, she has only done 3,000klms with the new engine.

Hopefully the 120 will make it trouble free, don't want to be on another tilt tray any time soon,

FWD17
    It's good you gave it another chance. The Prados are awesome.
    Bit of bad luck & hopefully better from now on, I think you made a wise decision to keep it.

Yeah don't get me wrong I will keep mine now and that's mainly because people like Ant exist. Its a great car if you look after it and nothing brand new is better so far. I'll be keen to see what the 180 brings.

Out of control poster!
    Melb this minute elsewhere in OZ the next
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigo View Post
    Yeah don't get me wrong I will keep mine now and that's mainly because people like Ant exist. Its a great car if you look after it and nothing brand new is better so far. I'll be keen to see what the 180 brings.
    More egr flow & soot to meet stricter euro emission standards. More exe dpf problems?

Keep the 120 till you have done your long range touring by then petrol engine will be efficient enough we can afford to run them.

Yes mate a bad story, time heals all wounds apparently,......... above all it wrecked a trip of a lifetime. Bloody D4D ;-(
    I don't rate Toyota Australia very well, I have no time for them and told them so. I told them I would discourage anyone from buying a brand new Toyota and I will. We would normally buy Toyota's at work, this year we have added over 15 D-Max's to the fleet, I will keep my promise to Toyota Australia ;-)

Toyota Australia can no longer be rated by their rugged and reliable reputation, they shall be rated on how they and their dealer network treat their "guests" and that is very poor indeed.

I have a 2016 Prado Kakadu V6 petrol so probably shouldn't be giving my two cents worth here however if there is one, small piece of consumer advice I can offer to readers, it is DON'T TRUST ANYONE, EVER, WHEN SPENDING YOUR MONEY.

Make sure everything is clearly and unambiguously written onto contracts, that you keep all receipts especially service documents, that you inspect service invoices to ensure that everything you expect to be on there is on there and also take photos with dates to support your arguments.

Another useful piece of gear is an onboard dash cam that has a parking mode as when it senses action, it will turn itself on. This can be very useful when mechanics have a good laugh at your expense under the hood and you have it all on camera.

At the end of the day, it will come down to what you can or cannot prove in court and remember that every criminal is innocent until PROVEN guilty.

A sad look at life I know but I can say that I never get ripped off!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pradokakadudavid View Post
    I have a 2016 Prado Kakadu V6 petrol so probably shouldn't be giving my two cents worth here however if there is one, small piece of consumer advice I can offer to readers, it is DON'T TRUST ANYONE, EVER, WHEN SPENDING YOUR MONEY.

Make sure everything is clearly and unambiguously written onto contracts, that you keep all receipts especially service documents, that you inspect service invoices to ensure that everything you expect to be on there is on there and also take photos with dates to support your arguments.

Another useful piece of gear is an onboard dash cam that has a parking mode as when it senses action, it will turn itself on. This can be very useful when mechanics have a good laugh at your expense under the hood and you have it all on camera.

At the end of the day, it will come down to what you can or cannot prove in court and remember that every criminal is innocent until PROVEN guilty.

A sad look at life I know but I can say that I never get ripped off!
    So you get a video recording of the top of your bonnet when it's open?!?

You'd also want to check up on the laws about recording audio before using it, I've seen a few people that have recorded it before get bitten twice as bad just for recording it.
    It's not admissible in court unless you follow strict laws and notify the people that you are recording them and gain approval.

Getting the old 120 ready to roll,......

Quote Originally Posted by FWD17 View Post

FWD17
    30 days until we lift off for our second Simpson Desert crossing

Attached Images Attached Images
    120 Series Prado 2008 Dec - Diesel Auto - One owner with FULL Toyota service history - D4D FAILED at 128,000klms Central Australia after Simpson Desert Crossing - Counter balance shaft failure - Our Toyota servicing dealer of 7 years didn't care, Toyota Australia didn't care - Installed brand new long engine,.... Ouch!. $$$$$$$$$$
    Got the D4D blues, Oh what a feeling ;-( "Toymotor"

How was your trip FWD17?
    Cheers Brian. 2006 Grande D4D

Quote Originally Posted by bricat View Post
    How was your trip FWD17?
    Sorry bricat I missed your message, been off air for a while.

The trip was great, no problems at all, 7,500klms all up. The old girl didn't miss a beat other than a quick stop at Roma to have new starter battery fitted on the way to Quilpie day 1.

Trip highlights other than the crossing east to west on our own.

Desert camping of course (3 nights)
    Eringa Waterhole camp (much nicer than the Mt Dare option)
    Finke Gorge track and the infamous boggy hole (very slow going, 70k's in 10+ hours)
    Hale River Homestead
    Kings Canyon rim walk
    Uluru & Kata Tjuta walks
    East & West MacDonnell Ranges

Bad bits, Plenty Highway and speeding ticket on the last day at Chinchilla ;-(

FWD17
    120 Series Prado 2008 Dec - Diesel Auto - One owner with FULL Toyota service history - D4D FAILED at 128,000klms Central Australia after Simpson Desert Crossing - Counter balance shaft failure - Our Toyota servicing dealer of 7 years didn't care, Toyota Australia didn't care - Installed brand new long engine,.... Ouch!. $$$$$$$$$$
    Got the D4D blues, Oh what a feeling ;-( "Toymotor"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345