Lurker

Rhino Rack roof platform and Rooftop Tent

Hi all

I'm just wondering if anyone on here has fitted one of the Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms to their 3 Door and if so what size?

How does it go with the Sunroof etc on the ZR's?

I'm thinking of getting the 1528 x 1236 version following some eBay research....

Any thoughts/ ideas / experiences etc?

I'm looking at one of the Adventure Kings Rooftop Tents, hence the requirement / question.

Cheers guys!!

No problem with the size you want, it does go close to the sunroof but only when opened at the back.

Excuse the poor photo quality, it has been considerably cropped.

20150909_093323-1 (2).jpg

If all you need the platform for is the RTT, then I would get the crossbars only and mount the RTT directly to it. Mounting to a Platform adds weight and complexity.

Edit: or even directly to the factory roof rails

Lurker
    Thanks Guys

Any recommendations as to bars?

Genuine Toyota or aftermarket Rhino / Thule / Other???

Thanks

For direct mounting to the roof, go for Toyota genuine. It is exactly the same as Rhinorack but cheaper.

Lurker
    Thanks amts.

Genuine bars ordered ....... now to see how I may be able to mount the RTT ??????

Lurker
    OK, so I ordered the genuine Toyota bars - part # PZQ3060120 as per the dealers advice from looking up the VIN and there is no way that the profile of the rail mounts are for the factory rails on my car ...... ?

Mind you the guy I spoke to in spare parts didn't even know that a 3 door Prado even existed!

I know a picture speaks a thousand words, but I had to remove them again as they were only "clamping" on the edges and not rolling over the rail to grip the mounting bracket onto the rail.

Any thoughts???

Thanks
    Last edited by Shamal; 01-11-2016 at 05:50 AM.

Lurker
    Update on this.....

Apparently the part # above is not for the ZR. Replacements on order and should solve the issue!

Lets see how that goes!

Lurker
    I have the rhino rack bars.L1020321.jpg
    Perfect for my roof top tent, with shovel holder. I also have the awning attached nowIMG_4836.jpg

Lurker
    Nice setup. Looks great

Lurker
    Hi guys -- any hints or tips on how to fit an Open Sky Roof Top Tent to a Pioneer Platform? We currently have it bolted onto a trailer, but travelling to the Cape in July and not taking the trailer with us hence the rooftop needs to be transferred to the truck Any advice/photos would be most appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Jayeb123 View Post
    Hi guys -- any hints or tips on how to fit an Open Sky Roof Top Tent to a Pioneer Platform? We currently have it bolted onto a trailer, but travelling to the Cape in July and not taking the trailer with us hence the rooftop needs to be transferred to the truck Any advice/photos would be most appreciated
    I'm trying to make an adapter. Are you able to tell me the width of the crossbars under the RTT?