3" Kakadu lift kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pradokakadudavid View Post
    Be cautious of 3" lift kits as in many states this will void your insurance cover in the case of an accident if an additional road worthiness certificate is not sourced. I was told this by my insurance company and many posts on this site support this view. The insurance companies and police regs will tell you that the vehicle height cannot be increased by more than 50MM = 2" without an additional road worthiness certificate. This height is calculated from the original roof height from the ground so this also includes any bigger tyres you may have fitted. On these laws, most 4x4's I see on WA roads are non-compliant which is course doesn't matter until you make an insurance claim. I checked this out with insurers and police and websites prior to insuring my 4x4 and made sure all these details were listed on the policy.

Cheers.

David
    The rules have changed for Victorian Registered Vehicle's.

50mm of lift and 50mm of tyres.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Comment

I think every one Bar QLD come under NCOP now.
      Which is total 75mm combined lift for MC classed vehicle's

So

50mm suspension and
      50mm larger OD

But there is also a Rule for cars fitted with ESC.....
      no greater than 50mm lift total

Comment

Originally posted by slipperyskakadu View Post
        Loveeeee my Dobo's MRR's

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
        X2

Comment

Queensland

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Veh...ons.aspx#lower

Can I raise my vehicle’s ride height?

A vehicle's ride height can be increased in a number of ways. These include:
          • Tyre diameter increase
          • Raising a vehicle's suspension
          • Body blocks

The limit a vehicle's ride height can be increased is dependant on which combination of the above method(s) are used. Each of the above vehicle lift methods have a maximum allowable increase they can achieve (maximum suspension lift 50mm, maximum tyre diameter increase 50mm, maximum body block lift 50mm). The maximum total combined lift of the vehicle cannot exceed 125mm.
          Please be aware the maximum allowable limits specified above are not applicable to all vehicle types.
          For further information about the limits and requirements for raising a vehicle's ride height, please refer to the Minor Modifications publication (PDF, 816 KB) and the LS section of the National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification (PDF, 1.93 MB).

I have been told I can put 50mm large diameter tyres on my 4WD, they do this in other states and territories, is this permitted in Queensland?

Yes, the following types of vehicles can have their tyre diameter increased by up to 50mm or reduced by no more than 26mm from any tyre diameter designated by the vehicle manufacturer for that vehicle:
          • 4WD passenger vehicles specifically designed for off-road use (typically MC ADR category), or
          • 4WD goods vehicles and their 2WD equivalents if the chassis and running gear are essentially the same as the 4WD versions (N ADR category)

Please note: All wheel drive(AWD) vehicles, commonly known as soft roaders,are not to be considered as one of the above mentioned vehicles.
          Further information about fitting alternate tyres and rims, please refer to the Minor Modifications publication (PDF, 816 KB) and the LS section of the National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification (PDF, 1.93 MB).

SuspensionLowering or Raising of Vehicles
          A vehicle’s suspension can be raised or lowered by 50mm without specific approval, provided:
          • at least two thirds of the original suspension travel in either direction ismaintained
          • coil springs remain in locating seats on full suspension droop
          • the normal relationship between the front and rear suspension heights isnot unduly affected
          • replacement springs have the same or greater load capacity as theoriginal springs
          • suspension coil springs are not shortened by cutting or heating
          • leaf spring suspensions are not raised by the use of extended shackles, adjustable metal plates or by placing theleaf springs to the opposite side of the axle
          • if lowering blocks are used, they are either steel or aluminium
          •the vehicle maintains a minimum running clearance of 100mm and the requirements in Australian Design Rule (ADR)43 are met*
          the suspension of a vehicle fitted with Electronic Stability Control (ESC) may be modified without certification providedit is not combined with any other lift (i.e tyre and suspension, suspension and body block, etc).
          *Generally, a vehicle which maintains a minimum clearance of 100mm between the ground and any point on the undersideof the vehicle (except a point on a tyre, wheel, wheel hub, brake backing plate or flexible mudguard or mudflap) will meetADR 43.
          For more information regarding ground clearance and running clearance please refer to the LS section of the National Codeof Practice for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification.Page 4 of 15
          The following information provides some general guidance about raising a vehicle’s height

A vehicle lift up to and including 75mm combining both suspension lift and tyre diameter increase (maximum suspension lift50mm, maximum tyre diameter increase 50mm) is acceptable under self-certification.

A vehicle lift between 76mm and 125mm (inclusive) combining a suspension lift, a tyre diameter increase and a body lift(maximum suspension lift 50mm, maximum tyre diameter increase 50mm, maximum body lift 50mm) requires certificationand testing by the department’s Approved Person.
          Please Note: The above mentioned maximum tyre diameter tyre increase is for 4WD off-road vehicles. A passenger car orpassenger car derivatives must not increase their tyre diameter by more than 15mm.

For further information please refer to the LS section of the Queensland Code of Practice – Vehicle Modifications

SE Qld: GX 150GD Auto, (Feb'16 build): TJM T15 steel b bar, 9,500lb TORQ winch, TJM s steps, Rhino Pioneer Platform (42102B 1928X1236mm), front recovery points, Wynnum towbar, P3 brake controller, TNN Underbody guards, UHF, TREKtable & LED striplight, Custom Fridge & Drawers, Waeco CFX50, 9inch illuminator 160W LED spots, 40mm lifted Dobinson Suspension (Zordo's), ScanguageII, 30 Sec Wing Awning

Comment

Just did a 2" lift kit from Superior in my VX. Profender remotes, Dobinson Springs and new UCAs. We are planning on a Cape trip mid year. Had a local young guy/ workshop install it and it really was a mess. Took it up to Superior who put it on the hoist and re-did my ride heights and reset the KDSS. They still want to tweak it some more but I need to find the time. So my advice is to get Superior or one of its agents to do the installation.

Its only new but the lift is almost 3 inches at the moment. The ride is harsh and I have been playing with the shock settings and tyre air pressures to make it comfortable. The VX spends most of its time on the road day to day with no load other than maybe two passengers. It is OK when the VX is loaded. If these shocks are softened the rebound control is also softened. This means you wobble up and down and it is really uncomfortable. Probably travelled some 1000ks since the install so I am still waiting for it all to settle and I'm hoping that I find the right shock settings soon. My Missus is none too pleased.

Im not sure if the spring rates are wrong or the shocks need some re-valving or tuning done to them. Looking at the Dobinson part numbers the fronts were I think standard, the rears +400kg.

Superior have supplied me with heaps of gear for my Fourbys. All of it has been outstanding. They supplied me a 2" Tough Dog kit with 45mm adjustables for one of the Coil Cab Patrol utes and it is a beautiful ride. It might be going to the Cape instead of the 150 if I cant get this resolved.
            150 Vx D4D, Deluxe Arb bar, winch, Hayman Reece Towbar, UBP, P3 Tekonsha, 'n stuff.
            "When cooking on a camp fire it must be cool enough to cook on so it needs to burn down to coals, at least in parts. It is customary to drink beer while waiting for the fire to cool down.
            I recommend starting with a very big fire"-Vince.

Comment

Hey mumstruk,

What is the valving on the Profenders? I would ask Superior for dyno data. If they can't provide this data, I'd be returning them. If the valving range is not matched to the coils in the first place, no amount of adjustment tweaking on the Profenders will change that.

What are the part numbers on the Dobinsons coils?

Usually it's the valving that is not well matched to the coils. No matter what your coil rates are, you can always change the valving to match them.

I'll be interested to see what the Profender valving is like!

Best

Mark
              2006 GXL petrol auto. ARB deluxe bar x3 HID IPF's, ARB alloy roofrack, ARB awning, BFG A/T, Safari snorkel, Piranha breathers, Pacemaker extractors, custom Ironman 45710FE 436-569mm with Dobinsons 350, custom Ironman 45682FE 383-618mm with Dobinsons 487, Firestone kevlar 60psi airbags, 30mm extended Roadsafe links, AMTS bashplate and recovery points, ABR Flyer with Powersonic AGM.

Comment

i think my total cost was somewhere in the $4000 ballpark fitted.

The fitment was done by my local ARB dealer not at a ARB store itself

Can anyone tell me the height from the ground to the front and rear wheel arches of there 2" lifted kakadu, i need to level out the lean on mine and whilst playing with the adjustable coil overs i want to make sure the ride height is at its best and need a reference point as i measured a standard height 2017 glx in Toyota today and its sitting at nearly the same height as my lifted kakadu,
                Richombx
                Lurker
                Last edited by Richombx; 08-02-2017, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Approximate stock height (18"rims)
                  Front: 750-755mm
                  Rear: 790-795mm
                  Measured bottom of rim to top of wheel arch

Comment

Well who would have thought getting a lift kit would be such a drama

I ended up with the options of

- MMR Dobson ( I called 3 times and got 3 rear shock measurements ) lost confidence a tad
                    - ARB BP51s rear shocks are limited in travel
                    - Autocraft offer a bilstein platinum kit and various icon kits ( probably should have gone with them )
                    - signed up for full FOX 2.0 kit, paid in full with a 2 week wait apprently ..... 4 weeks later I am now told another 2 weeks or I can put bilstein shocks in the rear, not willing to mix and match shocks yet have not much faith in the fox ones being availble in 2 weeks either

Fairly frustrating how hard it is to be organised !!!!!!

Comment

I think there was a write up here about the "Platinum kit" Whitey?

Who did you order the FOX through?

Comment

Hey Phs,

I'm also interested to know who you got your FOX gear through? Last time I checked the rear lengths weren't great, but maybe they've improved since then? Have they told you what the valving is?

There's really nothing "Platinum" about the "Platinum Bilstein kit" that was sold by Autocraft, just standard 712/713 combination, which are a copy of the OEM valving. Besides the very low rebound of the 713, it is also ridiculously short, no good in lifted geometry. Autocraft are also banned from this forum and many others, I wouldn't go shopping there.

There are much better Bilstein combinations to put on your Prado, see here;

http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread...hs-and-Valving

If you're having to wait a long time, I'd ask for my money back. Unless your heart is set on FOX, there's a lot of other interesting shocks you can try.

Best

Mark
                        2006 GXL petrol auto. ARB deluxe bar x3 HID IPF's, ARB alloy roofrack, ARB awning, BFG A/T, Safari snorkel, Piranha breathers, Pacemaker extractors, custom Ironman 45710FE 436-569mm with Dobinsons 350, custom Ironman 45682FE 383-618mm with Dobinsons 487, Firestone kevlar 60psi airbags, 30mm extended Roadsafe links, AMTS bashplate and recovery points, ABR Flyer with Powersonic AGM.

Comment

Hi mark,

I have ordered the Fox gear through a local suspension dealer in Vic. But I'm assuming there coming from the only fox importer to my knowledge and I'm sure you can guess who that is.

I was very specific about the rear shock lengths, they wanted me to tell them but I put it back in there court saying you are supping me a kit to suit the Kakadu you tell me what what lengths I need. They told me the shocks they are supplying have the open length of 622mm. They asked about what gear the car had on it ect. No idea what valving is in them

Had no idea about autocraft they sell a lot of Icon gear for the Prado I just assumed they were good.
                          I am not stuck on a specific brand just want the best i can get, being a Kakadu a lot of people are not interested in even supplying a kit
                          The Fox kits looks good as they can supply a whole kit and the front is hight adjustable and can't say I have read a bad review about them

What other Kakadu kits can you recommend ?
                          As I can't see any reason why I could not get my money back move on or they could even supply another kit
                          Phs
                          Last edited by Phs; 03-03-2017, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Hey Phs,

For a Kakadu I'd definitely be looking at height adjustable struts to sort out any potential KDSS lean/ride height mismatch. The rear is a bit more difficult to sort out if there is a persistent KDSS lean as you'll then need to play with the heights somehow. My inclination would be to do a coil conversion and use slightly shorter free height coils so I could fit coil spacers of varying thickness to eliminate any lean. If you want to keep the airbags, that means you'll need to play with the pressure between bags to eliminate lean, a potentially more expensive solution than a coil conversion?

Regarding height adjustable struts, its down to what you prefer, hydraulic, monotube etc., oil volume, re-valving capabilities etc.

High oil volume big bore hydraulic twin tubes are just as good as big bore monotubes in the diameters that can be fitted on a Prado. That means struts like Ironman Pro for hydraulics, or basic fixed valving non-height adjustable Bilsteins can be turned into coilovers, see here;

http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread...ut-combination

Alternatively, you can import 60mm 6112 series Bilstein struts which are valved for US 4Runner/FJ etc., but can be revalved here in Oz.

Also in this category are big bore MRR Dobinson monotubes, plenty running them here on PP. Also the non-res versions are firing up now as well.

Depending on how much coin you have to burn, you can also look at the basic smoothie versions of FOX, Icon, King etc.

Most struts sold now can be rebuilt, lengths and valving modified. You can get whatever you like to fit in the Kakadu, you're not restricted, it's just down to what you prefer.

The rear is pretty straight forward, just flex it out and measure what shock lengths you need, bump and droop. That will shorten the list of manufacturers.

From your potential list in post #39 it sounds like you're keen on some decent monotubes.

There's plenty of alternative suppliers around who will ship direct to your door.

Best

Mark

Comment

Thanks for the info mark

From all the info I have gathered they should be able to lower the rear high on the 50mm raised airbag man kit by tweeking the sensors if needed

With the factory airbags having the option of running. In high mode ( 75mm lift ) I'd hope 50mm rear lift will not cause KDSS lean, but there are mixed stories
                              Quite like the self levelling airbag setup so really don't want a rear coil conversion.

What are your thoughts on the BP51 rear shock specs

Open: 603mm
                              Closed: 368mm
                              Shock travel: 235mm

With the swaybar disconnect on the Kak will this length shock limit wheel drop ?

If my supplier cannot fill this order soon I'll probably look into a kings kit.
                              Would have no dramas getting a bilstein kit but I would want it as a kit not me selecting individual parts as I am far from a shock detective also raises the issue of finding an installer if i source the gear my self

Cheers
                              Phil
                              Phs
                              Last edited by Phs; 03-03-2017, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Hey,

The biggest hassle is lifting too high on the BP51's and then the internal bypass doesn't operate in the main part of the stroke and the valving can suddenly drop away.

If you disconnect the swaybar then the shocks will be the limiting factor for droop. That is the way it should always be!

Give John at Zordos Suspension a call for Bilsteins;

http://www.zordos4wdsuspension.com.au/

Kings are here;

http://www.kingshocksaustralia.com.au/contact.html

Good luck!

Best

Mark

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                                mencisport.com
                                antalya escort
                                tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                gaziantep escort
                                gaziantep escort
                                asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                                erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                                atasehir escort tuzla escort
                                sikis sex hatti
                                en iyi casino siteleri
                                casibom
                                betticket istanbulbahis
                                Working...
                                X