Fraser Island - having a bad day

ntp
    Love the Outback............. Love my Prado.
    My Prado, My Extras
    4wdriving First Party - dןǝɥ ɹoɟ ןןɐɔ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Advanced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ntp View Post
    I'm sure the ramps should be in the raised position before the barge gets underway. Usually they are parked with the park brake on and the car in gear...but I can bet you they will have the ramps raised from now on. Imagine if a child was in a car seat at the time.
    SE Qld: GX 150GD, auto, (Feb'16 build): TJM T15 steel bull bar, 9,500lb TORQ winch, TJM side steps, Rhino Pioneer Platform (42102B 1928 X 1236 mm), front recovery points, Wynnum tow bar, Techonsha P3 brake controller, TNN Under body guards & rear Tyre step, UHF, TREKtable & LED strip light, Custom Fridge & Drawer assembly, Waeco CFX 50, 9inch illuminator 160W LED spots, 40mm lifted Dobinson Suspension (Zordo's)

We've been in many barges crossing water, and never have I seen one without a gate or ramp lifted to stop problems.

The owner of the vehicle should have left it in gear or 'park' with the handbrake on, but the ferry operator is in control of the vessel. I think it might cost them...

Even barge crossing the river on the Birdsville track side route, with the most basic barge ever seen, the gates were closed.
    2008 D4D M6 GXL [MT ATZ-P3][Dobinsons 314/487+MRR][Polyairs][DBA T3/T2][amts diffdrop][Tin175's stone guards][ARB Sahara][IPF 900s][Snorkel][WindCheetah][MaxTrax][IC-440][Parrot Asteroid][ARB Fridge][Lifestyle Rack & 2nd Row Fridge Mount][ARB Compressor][Thumper][SandGrabbers][Cargo Barrier][MCC Rear Bar][Tigerz Awning]

Totally agree. There'll be some please explains for sure.

Thankfully no-one was hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by brogers View Post
    I'm sure the ramps should be in the raised position before the barge gets underway. Usually they are parked with the park brake on and the car in gear...but I can bet you they will have the ramps raised from now on. Imagine if a child was in a car seat at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by photoprado View Post
    We've been in many barges crossing water, and never have I seen one without a gate or ramp lifted to stop problems.

The owner of the vehicle should have left it in gear or 'park' with the handbrake on, but the ferry operator is in control of the vessel. I think it might cost them...

Even barge crossing the river on the Birdsville track side route, with the most basic barge ever seen, the gates were closed.
    ntp
    Love the Outback............. Love my Prado.
    My Prado, My Extras
    4wdriving First Party - dןǝɥ ɹoɟ ןןɐɔ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Lurker
    The news story tonight indicated backpackers had the 80 series (hence the passports lost in the cruiser).

Thinking it was one of the hire land cruisers from Rainbow beach and that the ferry operators will be under scrutiny big time regarding their practices for transporting.

Interesting on the video footage that the biggest concern is who owns the 4wd, not if there is anyone inside at the time it went over.