Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 25
  1. #1
    Junior Member malloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    49

    malloc's 2010 150 GXL

    I'm new to the forum, thought I'd start a build thread to get things going.

    Bit of back story first... I picked up a mint condition 2010 GXL recently for a great price and with only ~30,000k's on the clock. I think the dealer was having trouble selling it because the log book is a bit screwy, one entry goes backwards in k's. I phoned all the service centres that had stamps in the book and it all checked out, looks like someone just wrote the wrong number in there. I also had a toyota mechanic mate look over it and he said it was barely broken in.

    It's a petrol, and I would have preferred a diesel, but all the 150 diesels in my price range had too high k's. The alternative was a pajero but I'd prefer a petrol prado over a diesel pajero Edit: After owning the petrol for 6+ months and hiring a diesel for a work trip I have no regrets, the petrol is perfect for what we need.

    This is what it looked like after picking it up. It came with a toyota factory half-bar, which I wasn't a big fan of...



    Here she is after a few mods...



    Mods so far include:
    - TJM T13 bar in black
    - airtec snorkel
    - rhinorack pioneer platform with front rail
    - micky thompson ATs
    - big red light bar
    - Uniden UHF

    Really happy with the mickey thompsons, pretty aggressive tread for an AT but they're not too noisy on the highway, and they ate up the rocky tracks in the Flinder's recently. I reckon the light bar has already paid for itself after spotting a couple of near-miss roos.

    More mods to come, I'll post some more info soon.
    Last edited by malloc; 14-03-2017 at 09:05 PM.

  2. #2
    Junior Member malloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    49
    Forgot to mention the first mod I did... I had to adjust the garage so I could fit the prado in

    Removed some timber from the top, lifted the motor, rails, springs etc and cut some steel handles from the back. Overall it's almost 300mm extra clearance, and as an added bonus I don't hit my head all the time now


  3. #3
    Junior Member malloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    49
    Tip for others with pioneer platforms wanting eye bolts for tie down points. Genuine rhino ones are $42 for 4, but you can make up your own for less.

    I bought 12 slot channel nuts for $25.50 from here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/M8-Slot-C...-/191838852471

    M8 eye bolts are $1.25 from Bunnings: https://www.bunnings.com.au/romak-35...-bolt_p3961212

    Plus a few more $ for packs of M8 washers and split washers.

    You can make up 12 for about $50.


  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    Forgot to mention the first mod I did... I had to adjust the garage so I could fit the prado in

    Removed some timber from the top, lifted the motor, rails, springs etc and cut some steel handles from the back. Overall it's almost 300mm extra clearance, and as an added bonus I don't hit my head all the time now

    Hah ! Me too.

  5. #5
    Looking good malloc! I did a similar thing with the eye bolts for the Rhino platform. Bought the bolts from Bunnings and used aluminium flat bar, I think is's 8mm x 20mm, cut into lengths and drilled and tapped as many as I needed :-)

  6. #6
    Junior Member malloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    49
    I have a Grande MK III winch on the way from the 4wd superstore. The plan is to mount the control box under the bonnet and use the remote because my light bar is mounted where you'd usually stick the control box on the bar. Not the most user friendly setup, but I don't see myself needing it often.

    I'll be doing a Tasmania trip later this year without other people to pull me out of trouble, so a winch will give me some peach of mind. It's cheap @$350 + postage but PP reviews seemed ok. They had a slightly more expensive Kings-branded model for pre-order, but the specs seem pretty similar and I'd rather a model that's been tried and tested by other PP members.


  7. #7
    Out of control poster! amts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    9,309
    Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    Tip for others with pioneer platforms wanting eye bolts for tie down points. Genuine rhino ones are $42 for 4, but you can make up your own for less.

    I bought 12 slot channel nuts for $25.50 from here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/M8-Slot-C...-/191838852471

    There's a good reason why Rhinorack don't recommend using those channel nuts on the Pioneer Platform. I wouldn't use them specifically for tiedown points with ratchet straps.
    If you have experienced D4D engine failure, please complete this survey ​http://goo.gl/forms/bpJSYjq0Zx
    My Rig Build up


  8. #8
    Addicted PP Member fido666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,936
    Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    I have a Grande MK III winch on the way from the 4wd superstore. The plan is to mount the control box under the bonnet and use the remote because my light bar is mounted where you'd usually stick the control box on the bar.
    I have a Grande winch too (think it's a MKII though) and I have the control box mounted in the channel of the T13 bar next to the winch's gear box on the right. I had to get longer cables put on the box though, supplied cables just that bit too short. Works fine as you can reach the clutch lever and the plug on the control box through the square opening in the front of the bar.
    Kaka Latte Club SWMBO
    2009 Toyota Prado 150 Kakadu V6 Auto, TJM T13 steel Winch Bar, Tigerz11 Grande 12,000lb winch, IPF 900XS spotties with HID globes, Uniden 7760NB UHF, BFG KO2 265/70/17 rubber, Dobinsons C59-726 front springs, Roadsafe Recovery Points, Bushskinz Bash Plates, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Roo Systems Awning, Traxrax.

  9. #9
    Junior Member malloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by amts View Post
    There's a good reason why Rhinorack don't recommend using those channel nuts on the Pioneer Platform. I wouldn't use them specifically for tiedown points with ratchet straps.
    Thanks for the heads up. I picked these because they're the same nuts as the ones included with some of their other accessories (shovel holder, front rail), but looking at their eye bolt kit I can see it comes with longer channel nuts, and I guess there's a lot more pulling force on an eye bolt than a shovel holder. I'll look at swapping them, or maybe just shelling out for the real kit after all.

  10. #10
    Junior Member malloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by fido666 View Post
    I have a Grande winch too (think it's a MKII though) and I have the control box mounted in the channel of the T13 bar next to the winch's gear box on the right. I had to get longer cables put on the box though, supplied cables just that bit too short. Works fine as you can reach the clutch lever and the plug on the control box through the square opening in the front of the bar.
    Thanks fido, I found your winch install thread, heaps of good info. I'll be copying your mounting location

  11. #11
    Addicted PP Member fido666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,936
    Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    Thanks fido, I found your winch install thread, heaps of good info. I'll be copying your mounting location
    No probs, The guys who installed the box (we did the winch itself with some help from the Vic PP crew) made up a custom bracket to attach the control box to the bar but I don't have any schematics for it sorry.
    Kaka Latte Club SWMBO
    2009 Toyota Prado 150 Kakadu V6 Auto, TJM T13 steel Winch Bar, Tigerz11 Grande 12,000lb winch, IPF 900XS spotties with HID globes, Uniden 7760NB UHF, BFG KO2 265/70/17 rubber, Dobinsons C59-726 front springs, Roadsafe Recovery Points, Bushskinz Bash Plates, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Roo Systems Awning, Traxrax.

  12. #12
    Junior Member malloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    49
    This is probably old news to everyone else, but I only just figured it out...

    The rear shovel holder was hitting the barrier on my wife's work carpark with the rack on. I noticed another prado drive past with theirs mounted upside down, so I've done the same thing. It fits in now, and I reckon they're a bit easier to use this way as well


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •