Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New tyre time

Had Bridgestone 694's on my 120, great on road and off (esp. compared to factory Dunlop's), they did wear faster than expected on front left (Prado's weight and roundabouts). Put BFG AT's on my 150, while maybe slightly better off road certainly not great in the wet, noise wasn't noticeable. The wear seems better than the 694's as now at 55,000K. Reckon I will get 10-15% more life out them compared to 694's for cheaper upfront so happy with that.

Did have a big screw in BFG's once, took to my tyre dealer, he simply unscrewed it and said they were tough as nails and I was good to go, happy about that and closest I have been to a flat with them.
    Note prices for all main AT's seem to vary a fair bit time to time depending on supply and demand. When i bought 694's, BFG's were like $90 extra, when I bought BFG's for 150, 697's were $70 more and AT3's above or in middle of these prices.
    Anthony 2014 Graphite GXL TD Auto: BFG AT's, Oztrail Awning, Scangauge II, Red Arc SBI12, Tekonsha P3, GME TX3100, Engel 40L, iPad Mini on Ram Mount running Hema and TomTom maps, GPSMAP64 on Ram mount. Camper: 1996 Jayco Flight Outback.

When I bought my Grande V6 5 years ago it was fitted with Pro-Comp A/T 265/70R17 (which I'd never heard of at the time) that looked brand new, so I assumed the previous owner had them fitted just before the sale. That was at 90,000km on the odometer, when I finally wore them out and replaced with BFG A/T 265/65R17 a year ago it was up to 210,000km and I was pretty happy with the 120,000 I got out of them. But a few days ago I was rummaging through the glovebox and found the receipt for the Pro-Comps - odo reading was 59,000km! So it seems they actually lasted over 150,000km. Admittedly nearly all that time was city & highway driving but pretty impressive nonetheless.

I went with BFG for the replacements because the Pro-Comps don't seem to be widely available in Australia. The BFGs seem maybe a touch noisier on road than the Pro-Comps but other than that I can't notice any difference. My Pro-Comps had a slightly less aggressive tread than the BFG A/T with more rounded shoulder blocks, but the ones that seem to be available now (Extreme A/T) look a bit more aggressive. I never did any serious offroading with them so I can't comment on offroad performance. Still have one brand new Pro-Comp for the spare.

good luck with your choice.

I should also add that I never rotated them (except once I swapped fronts & rears) and they did wear slightly unevenly, so I probably could have got even more longevity out of them. I'm also not an aggressive driver, rarely go more than 105km/hour which probably helps.

BFG KO2s, Cooper ST Maxx, Mickey ATZP3 are the three best all terrain tyres for aussie conditions
    Last edited by mikenzaa; 12-01-2017 at 05:42 PM.

I've had two sets of Mickey Thompson ATZ's and I was really happy with them but they only achieved 50K and 55K.

I was close to due for new tyres last year before heading off to the Kimberley (4 month trip). I decided to get BFG's but my local BFG dealer suggested that I had about 10K left on the MT's so I thought I would get the new tyres in Darwin. No BFG's available in 265/70/17 when I got to Darwin and none in Broome either. I rang around and got a good price ($330 each) for Toyo Open Country II's in Broome, so I crossed my fingers, hoped for the best and headed off across the Gibb River Road on my dodgy old MT's. Got there with only one puncture and I managed to plug that.

The Toyo's seem fine, we came home across the Great Central Road with no worries, and they are now 15K old. They are a little quieter than the MT's but only time will tell what sort of mileage I get out of them.

IMHO the Toyos are worth considering.
    White auto 150 GXL D4D. Matts, plastics, ARB colour coded winch bar, Warn winch, IPF spots, Safari snorkel, dual batteries (redarc system), 2 OME lift, tow bar, Redarc electric brakes, air compressor, drawers with fridge slide, Engel 40 litre, cargo barrier, breathers, maxtrax, roof bars, sheepskin seat covers, TJM side steps/sliders and Toyo Open Country II tyres.

Lurker
    Thanks for the replies guys - really appreciate them. I'm down to the BFGs and Mickey Thompson ATZs, the the ATZs probably my first choice. However, they don't do a 265/65, only a 70. In NSW, this makes them illegal. Is it possible to get certification to run these as the slight increase in tyre height would be a bonus.

99.9% sure that 265/70/17 tyres are now legal in NSW on the 150 series Prado. The latest rules for 4WDs allow a 7% increase in diameter over the original tyre spec. 265/65/17 tyres have an O.D. of 776mm. 265/70/17 tyres have an O.D. of 804mm, an increase of 28mm or 3.6% - within allowed limits.

Have a look here:

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/...ifications.pdf
    White auto 150 GXL D4D. Matts, plastics, ARB colour coded winch bar, Warn winch, IPF spots, Safari snorkel, dual batteries (redarc system), 2 OME lift, tow bar, Redarc electric brakes, air compressor, drawers with fridge slide, Engel 40 litre, cargo barrier, breathers, maxtrax, roof bars, sheepskin seat covers, TJM side steps/sliders and Toyo Open Country II tyres.

Interesting to hear a few negative comments about BFG's in the wet. I've had two sets of BFG MTs and never noticed any problems in the rain - mind you its not as wet in Perth as it used to be, and some of the pressures people run are also interesting.

My current set of MTs have been through the Pilbara several times, into the Bungle Bungles, down the Canning Stock Route, along the telegraph track and beaches to Eucla, not to mention numerous tracks in the south west and Yilgarn, have done around 70,000kms, never had a puncture and been rotated once. I run them at 32/34 around town and 36/38 when fully loaded and recently dropped them down to 11 while climbing a monster sand dune near Bremer Bay and they still look like they have a few kays left in them. Here's a photo I took on the 28th December (of a suspension failure).

Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    99.9% sure that 265/70/17 tyres are now legal in NSW on the 150 series Prado. The latest rules for 4WDs allow a 7% increase in diameter over the original tyre spec. 265/65/17 tyres have an O.D. of 776mm. 265/70/17 tyres have an O.D. of 804mm, an increase of 28mm or 3.6% - within allowed limits.

Have a look here:

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/...ifications.pdf
    I must have had the old calculations where the difference went on circumference! It looks like 70 sections are OK. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Lurker
    Just to follow up on this thread, I went for Mickey Thompson STZs in 265/70. Got a pretty good deal - $310 each as they were previously ordered by someone else who changed their mind - so happy with that (BFGs were $355) Too soon to say how they are but they're quiet on the road and were more than capable on a trip in the Watagans yesterday.

Hector, a fine choice. I am sure you will be pleased with the capability of the STZ's, mine have been fantastic and I would buy them again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12