Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 14
  1. #1
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Melbourne VIC
    Posts
    23

    KZJ95 - adding a sub-tank

    Hi,

    Has anyone added an OEM sub-tank to a KZJ95? I would like to add an OEM sub-tank on mine but am not sure what would be the needed parts, in addition to the sub-tank and the gauge. I understand that I will also have to replace the dashboard center panel to accommodate the gauge.

    Initially, I would like to clear-up some points:

    1. I understand that there are two solenoids relating to the fuel tanks. Can the solenoid for the main tank be added to the existing tank (90L)?
    2. How many liters does the sub-tank hold?
    3. When refueling, to which tank does the fuel go directly? Will it go to the main tank first and then get pumped to the sub-tank via the solenoids?
    4. When one tank is empty, does the injector pump automatically choose which tank to pump from?

    Appreciate any input. Thanks!

  2. #2
    I have a dual tank 95 petrol model so i can answer maybe 2 of your questions 1 the fuel capacity is roughly 66L and 2nd the fuel filling neck has 2 distinct fuel necks that meet at 1 point i can supply a pic if need be

    Cheers

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    queensland
    Posts
    120
    I've got a KZJ95R.
    There's 2-chassis mounted solenoids and the pipes simply run from the tanks to the solenoids and then off to the injector pump. (That's fuel supply and fuel return)
    Sub tank holds 69L
    When you pop the filler cap, you'll see a "Y" neck with the front pipe going to the sub tank and the rear pipe to the main tank, it's quite simple.
    THere's no auto system. If you run a tank dry she'll stop and then you'll have to bleed the system to get her going again. It pays to do some test fills so you know how many litres are actually left at for example.
    There's a lot of gear involved, I suggest you find someone parting out a car rather than trying to source new.

  4. #4
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Melbourne VIC
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkev95series View Post
    I have a dual tank 95 petrol model so i can answer maybe 2 of your questions 1 the fuel capacity is roughly 66L and 2nd the fuel filling neck has 2 distinct fuel necks that meet at 1 point i can supply a pic if need be

    Cheers
    So I also need to buy a fuel intake pipe with the Y-neck.
    Thanks!

  5. #5
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Melbourne VIC
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by carco View Post
    I've got a KZJ95R.
    There's 2-chassis mounted solenoids and the pipes simply run from the tanks to the solenoids and then off to the injector pump. (That's fuel supply and fuel return)
    Sub tank holds 69L
    When you pop the filler cap, you'll see a "Y" neck with the front pipe going to the sub tank and the rear pipe to the main tank, it's quite simple.
    THere's no auto system. If you run a tank dry she'll stop and then you'll have to bleed the system to get her going again. It pays to do some test fills so you know how many litres are actually left at for example.
    There's a lot of gear involved, I suggest you find someone parting out a car rather than trying to source new.
    Thanks!

    I assume there a switch so i can choose between the two tanks? Is the switch the only one that controls the solenoids? can I switch between the two tanks anytime, even while running?

    I do agree with you about getting the parts from a part out or maybe from a wrecker. Another concern of mine at the moment is the wiring for the solenoids/switch so the two tanks and the gauge will function correctly.

    Do you have a wiring diagram of the switch and the two solenoids? I hope they're not connected to the ECU at that could be a red line.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    queensland
    Posts
    120
    Yes there's a selector switch on the dash. Not a complicated design, in fact a bit dumb in that you can have the low fuel light come on the main tank and change over to a full aux. But that main tank light will keep on annoying you, she doesn't turn off until you top up.
    It's a seamless change when you swap tanks, can be changed at any time.
    The diesels don't have in tank pumps, just the injector pump so they're quite simple.
    Not connected to the ecu.
    I'll have a look in my Haynes manual, I've never looked at that wiring.
    Would be the go to find a parted out car and grab everything.
    Look on the "Mighty 90's" Facebook.

  7. #7
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Melbourne VIC
    Posts
    23
    Thanks!

  8. #8
    Member CoreyTroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Illawarra NSW
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by carco View Post
    Yes there's a selector switch on the dash. Not a complicated design, in fact a bit dumb in that you can have the low fuel light come on the main tank and change over to a full aux. But that main tank light will keep on annoying you, she doesn't turn off until you top up.
    It's a seamless change when you swap tanks, can be changed at any time.
    The diesels don't have in tank pumps, just the injector pump so they're quite simple.
    Not connected to the ecu.
    I'll have a look in my Haynes manual, I've never looked at that wiring.
    Would be the go to find a parted out car and grab everything.
    Look on the "Mighty 90's" Facebook.
    My prado must have been modified.
    If the main tank light comes on, i switch over to the sub tank.
    The sub tank fuel guage starts to drop, and the main tank guage starts filling also.
    If the sub tank runs dry, the engine starts to splutter, and i need to switch back to the main. If the sub tank is dry, and the main tank light comes on, i have 60km until it is also empty.

    Only thing i would have liked was a low fuel light on the sub tank also, but as is works great for me. As stated, someone must have modified how my fuel tanks operate from factory.
    1999 Prado VX Grande White on Silver 3.4Ltr Auto

  9. #9
    Member CoreyTroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Illawarra NSW
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by carco View Post
    Yes there's a selector switch on the dash. Not a complicated design, in fact a bit dumb in that you can have the low fuel light come on the main tank and change over to a full aux. But that main tank light will keep on annoying you, she doesn't turn off until you top up.
    It's a seamless change when you swap tanks, can be changed at any time.
    My prado must have been modified.
    If the main tank light comes on, i switch over to the sub tank.
    The sub tank fuel gauge starts to drop, and the main tank gauge starts filling also.
    If the sub tank runs dry, the engine starts to splutter, and i need to switch back to the main. If the sub tank is dry, and the main tank light comes on, i have 60km until it is also empty.

    Only thing i would have liked was a low fuel light on the sub tank also, but as is works great for me. As stated, someone must have modified how my fuel tanks operate from factory.
    1999 Prado VX Grande White on Silver 3.4Ltr Auto

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    queensland
    Posts
    120
    The sub tank gauge wiring shows up in the early and late 95 wiring diagrams.
    I was surprised to see the ground for the low fuel light does in fact come from the ecu. No idea what that's about and the idea doesn't carry across to the main tank wiring.
    There's no fuel pumps in the late or early diesel models so your car is definitely not standard Corey.
    Standard diesel setup has a low fuel light in the main and the sub tank gauges.
    Petrol would be completely different, in-tank pumps etc.

  11. #11
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Melbourne VIC
    Posts
    23
    Thanks, can you post the diagrams?

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    queensland
    Posts
    120
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by carco; 30-03-2017 at 11:19 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •