Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by photoprado View Post
    Why would Toyota design and install balance shafts if there was 'no issue'?

Are you sure? If so, just pull them out and let us know what the results are...
    I know they remove them on the 3RZ's, but there is a bit more required than just ripping them out:

"Counter Balance Shaft Removal Kit 3RZ
    This kit is designed to eliminate the balance shafts in a 3RZ engine. Used primarily in race applications where the balance shafts are removed. Kit includes new bearings replacement inserts, billet aluminum install driver, and oil squirter to keep the chain properly lubricated. Drill Bit and Tap to plug oil galley."

and this is a 4 cyl diesel, not the smoothest engine ever designed. Mine shakes like a beeatch even with the balance shaft.

So what do the rest of the timing gears look like? Has the damage transferred to all the others?
    Last edited by t303; 22-04-2017 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by photoprado View Post
    Why would Toyota design and install balance shafts if there was 'no issue'?

Are you sure? If so, just pull them out and let us know what the results are...
    I am am getting the ends of the shafts cut off so that I can put the end part back in to plug the hole will just leave the gears off.

Quote Originally Posted by t303 View Post
    I know they remove them on the 3RZ's, but there is a bit more required than just ripping them out:

"Counter Balance Shaft Removal Kit 3RZ
    This kit is designed to eliminate the balance shafts in a 3RZ engine. Used primarily in race applications where the balance shafts are removed. Kit includes new bearings replacement inserts, billet aluminum install driver, and oil squirter to keep the chain properly lubricated. Drill Bit and Tap to plug oil galley."

and this is a 4 cyl diesel, not the smoothest engine ever designed. Mine shakes like a beeatch even with the balance shaft.

So what do the rest of the timing gears look like? Has the damage transferred to all the others?
    The removal kits you can find are needed because the shafts are run of the chain. Take the shafts out and the rest stops working so its not just as straight forward as the 1KD motor.

A quick search on NewHilux will show many 1KD motors that have had balance shafts removed with no problems.

All the other gears look OK Just the one balance shaft gear and the oil pump drive gear.
    As Im not putting the balance shaft gear back in I wont need to replace that just the oil pump drive gear.

Either way I will be able to let you know from personal experience soon.
    At this stage I don't have anything to loose and 8k to save.

Blog Entries
    *gets popcorn*

This ought to be good...

**steals Piggy's popcorn**
    Stan Miko

- 2007 120 Series 3.0L D4D

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234