Last week I think my head let go - check engine light on, temp off the chart, pull over, plenty of steam, overflow cap blown off, rad cap overflow blown off and loads of steam spewing out... I haven't topped her up to check for bubbles yet, and I haven't pulled the head off yet, but all the signs are there. The motor has done 320k though, so I'm not complaining.
I'm thinking about doing the job myself, and starting to research options. I need advice on the following:
1. I can get a bare head or one with valves and cam already fitted - what are the reasons why I wouldn't go with the bare head i.e. why spend more money on the complete head?
2. Apart from the rad and water pump, what else should I replace while I'm in there?
3. As the car isn't a daily driver i.e. it can be off the road for a bit, what else should I do/replace/refresh while I'm in there e.g. rings, etc?
4. Apart from AMC (which seems the most expensive option) what other decent (preferably Ozzie made) heads should l I look at?
5. Are there any good how to blog style posts on doing this job that I should read through?
Any other tip or things to think about will be appreciated as well.