Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Rockingham, Perth
    Posts
    377

    ISP severs with naked DSL

    Hi All,
    been with iinet over 8 years now and with the NBN ready their now planning to charge for calls something thats all ways been free with DSL can any one recommend an ISP that does that at a good price ?, we're only light users (about 60 gig a month) so we dont need top of the range, back up and after sales is essential had a gutful of trying to understand what someone in South Africas saying I honestly cant understand a word they say so an Aussie company would be a good start ,
    thanks in advance,
    Dave
    Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

  2. #2
    I use Boom broadband, no contract, $70 a month for 25/5 unlimited data plus a phone although calls are charged. I use an internet phone for outgoing calls from a VOIP company called Australia phone so you don't need a phone provided by your ISP at all.
    There are many companies to choose from, one regularly pushing their wares in Rockingham shopping centre (could be Dodo?) who I have great fun telling them that they are more expensive than my present ISP. They only offer 12/1 (download/upload speed) for similar price.
    Oddly enough I was thinking of changing to a WA based ISP as it does affect websites such as channel 9 streaming. The channel 9 website detects your location from your ISP and mine being in Melbourne gives channel 9 Victoria. (Hope this makes sense, bit off topic re a Prado lol)

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Rockingham, Perth
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLynn View Post
    I use Boom broadband, no contract, $70 a month for 25/5 unlimited data plus a phone although calls are charged. I use an internet phone for outgoing calls from a VOIP company called Australia phone so you don't need a phone provided by your ISP at all.
    There are many companies to choose from, one regularly pushing their wares in Rockingham shopping centre (could be Dodo?) who I have great fun telling them that they are more expensive than my present ISP. They only offer 12/1 (download/upload speed) for similar price.
    Oddly enough I was thinking of changing to a WA based ISP as it does affect websites such as channel 9 streaming. The channel 9 website detects your location from your ISP and mine being in Melbourne gives channel 9 Victoria. (Hope this makes sense, bit off topic re a Prado lol)
    Thanks for that John, just need to get a few more and the best way is by word of mouth, so please keep them coming,
    Regards,
    Dave
    Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Townsville QLD
    Posts
    220
    I use optus. 25/5 $90 Unlimited Data and as my mobile is with them I get $20 off brining it down to $70
    So far no problems. Don't use a home phone as I get unlimited calls and txt with my mobile for $40.
    So $110 for unlimited home NBN unlimited calls and txt from mobile and 10gig 4g data

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by Danda View Post
    Hi All,
    been with iinet over 8 years now and with the NBN ready their now planning to charge for calls something thats all ways been free with DSL can any one recommend an ISP that does that at a good price ?, we're only light users (about 60 gig a month) so we dont need top of the range, back up and after sales is essential had a gutful of trying to understand what someone in South Africas saying I honestly cant understand a word they say so an Aussie company would be a good start ,
    thanks in advance,
    Dave
    Hi Danda,

    We have NBN with IINET and all phone calls are free? Yes I agree the call centre has certainly gone down hill in last few years. I am sure most ISP's are the same with respect to after care service. Double check the contract you are signing for as my calls a free on VOIP.

    Regards
    cuda
    2016 2.8l 6spd Auto Prado Crystal Pearl VX, Dual Battery, Pro Racks, Towbar.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Rockingham, Perth
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by cuda View Post
    Hi Danda,

    We have NBN with IINET and all phone calls are free? Yes I agree the call centre has certainly gone down hill in last few years. I am sure most ISP's are the same with respect to after care service. Double check the contract you are signing for as my calls a free on VOIP.

    Regards
    cuda
    Thats odd I rang them and fluked an Aussie centre and he said as soon as I join the NBN they will start billing all calls and promptly blamed the NBN ??? unless maybe the plan I'm on (59.95) ? that was my whole point how can they charge for calls on naked dsl when their free it's like charging for tap water aye ?
    Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by Danda View Post
    Thats odd I rang them and fluked an Aussie centre and he said as soon as I join the NBN they will start billing all calls and promptly blamed the NBN ??? unless maybe the plan I'm on (59.95) ? that was my whole point how can they charge for calls on naked dsl when their free it's like charging for tap water aye ?
    Yep its the plan your on. I am on the higher one. You need to pay $79/month to get the free calls and no rental.

    https://www.iinet.net.au/internet-pr...broadband/nbn/
    2016 2.8l 6spd Auto Prado Crystal Pearl VX, Dual Battery, Pro Racks, Towbar.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by Danda View Post
    Thats odd I rang them and fluked an Aussie centre and he said as soon as I join the NBN they will start billing all calls and promptly blamed the NBN ??? unless maybe the plan I'm on (59.95) ? that was my whole point how can they charge for calls on naked dsl when their free it's like charging for tap water aye ?
    Yep its the plan your on. I am on the higher one. You need to pay $79/month to get the free calls and no rental.

    https://www.iinet.net.au/internet-pr...broadband/nbn/
    2016 2.8l 6spd Auto Prado Crystal Pearl VX, Dual Battery, Pro Racks, Towbar.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Rockingham, Perth
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by cuda View Post
    Yep its the plan your on. I am on the higher one. You need to pay $79/month to get the free calls and no rental.

    https://www.iinet.net.au/internet-pr...broadband/nbn/
    Bloody crooks is what they are lol ,
    thanks for your help buddy but I think I'll be leaving iinet anyway as the service cant make up for the price it's just too bad
    regards,
    Dave
    Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

  10. #10
    Junior Member malloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    49
    I've worked for 2 of Aussies biggest telcos in the past. iiNet service has been going steadily downhill since being bought by TPG, and ufortunately there's not many big ISPs left with Aussie call centres now.

    If you're going NBN in a new area I'd pick an Optus bundle. You'd get better pricing from some of the smaller resellers, but the way NBN Co price bandwidth most of the small players have to oversubscribe, which means slow speeds during peak hours when everyone's watching streaming TV. Worst case it's slower than ADSL

    Optus will oversubscribe too but they'll have more customers, so it's less noticeable.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Rockingham, Perth
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    I've worked for 2 of Aussies biggest telcos in the past. iiNet service has been going steadily downhill since being bought by TPG, and ufortunately there's not many big ISPs left with Aussie call centres now.

    If you're going NBN in a new area I'd pick an Optus bundle. You'd get better pricing from some of the smaller resellers, but the way NBN Co price bandwidth most of the small players have to oversubscribe, which means slow speeds during peak hours when everyone's watching streaming TV. Worst case it's slower than ADSL

    Optus will oversubscribe too but they'll have more customers, so it's less noticeable.
    Helpful info there thank you but slower than adsl ? is that possible ????????? (lol) no as said we've got a year in September so we're just going to play it out and see who's got the best deal then,
    thank you guys the info is all good,
    regards,
    Dave
    Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

  12. #12
    Junior Member malloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Danda View Post
    ... slower than adsl ? is that possible ?????????
    It's crazy that we've invested so much into a network that's barely better than what we had

    Most of the time it'll be faster. In peak hours (evenings) it can be slower, especially if you're on fibre to the node (green boxes on your street), not fibre to the home (white box on your house). Despite changes in the right direction NBN pricing for ISPs is still fairly out of whack and most can't afford to buy enough bandwidth to cover everyone in peak time, especially the budget ones.

    Waiting until closer to the cutoff time is a good idea, you'll have more resellers in your neighbourhood to choose from (the smaller ones will only start selling when there's enough interest). ADSL and NBN signals also interfere with each other, so while ADSL is still active the NBN signal runs in a lower power mode. When ADSL it turned off after the cutover they ramp up the NBN signal, which improves speeds by a few Mbit.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •