Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Out of control poster!
    Melb this minute elsewhere in OZ the next
    Quote Originally Posted by 120D4D View Post
    Only just noticed - What happend to the extra 1KD torques Mark?!
    The killerwasps look about right but torque should be up around 403 from memory.
    410nm

I think your calcs are not based on the Oz spec model and the lazy in my just googled the 1KD specs and up comes this chart - seems to line up with the owners manual.

1790-1kd.jpg

I'd like to see the chart redone with the 410nm curve for comparison purposes.
    Last edited by 120D4D; 20-05-2017 at 08:00 PM.
    Cheers
    Micheal.

2008 GXL D4D Auto. GOING... GOING... GONE
    2015 GXL 1GD Auto. And it begins again...

Shockie Maker of the Month Award Whitey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 120D4D View Post
    I think your calcs are not based on the Oz spec model and the lazy in my just googled the 1KD specs and up comes this chart - seems to line up with the owners manual.

1790-1kd.jpg

I'd like to see the chart redone with the 410nm curve for comparison purposes.
    Hey,

This is the same image I discussed in the url link in post #24. Toyota states maximum of 343Nm and then has a plot with around 400Nm in it.

What is correct? Where is there a reliable source of information stating that the Australian model 1KD has around 400Nm of torque?

Happy to redo the plot when I see that!

Best

Mark
    2006 GXL petrol auto. ARB deluxe bar x3 HID IPF's, ARB alloy roofrack, ARB awning, BFG A/T, Safari snorkel, Piranha breathers, Pacemaker extractors, custom Ironman 45710FE 436-569mm with Dobinsons 350, custom Ironman 45682FE 383-618mm with Dobinsons 487, Firestone kevlar 60psi airbags, 30mm extended Roadsafe links, AMTS bashplate and recovery points, ABR Flyer with Powersonic AGM.

Out of control poster!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    Hey,

This is the same image I discussed in the url link in post #24. Toyota states maximum of 343Nm and then has a plot with around 400Nm in it.

What is correct? Where is there a reliable source of information stating that the Australian model 1KD has around 400Nm of torque?

Best

Mark
    It's 410nm

Not a peek either, from memory a nice flat line comes in by about 1600-2800 rpm
    343 is a Hilux, 1400-3400rpm, less but more range.
    Last edited by Anth120playdo; 20-05-2017 at 10:13 PM.

Out of control poster!

From a Toyota page

"Pulling Power

Torque is what pushes you up rocky inclines and gets you out of holes. It's also what gives you the pulling power you need to carry or tow heavier loads. And the Prado is very big on torque.

And despite turning out 130kW of sheer direct-injected power, the diesel engine is also more fuel efficient than its V6 counterpart, enabling you to travel approximately 1700km per tank-full for the five door with an auto transmission and slightly further with a manual[J9]."

Love the drive of the torquey diesel turbo.

Lurker
    I think you are using the numbers from the Hilux engines. This site has good information.
    http://australiancar.reviews/1KD-FTV-engine.php
    http://australiancar.reviews/1GR-FE-engine.php

I did something similar last year with some numbers I found.
    Engines1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Anth120playdo View Post
    Love the drive of the torquey diesel turbo.
    You can always convert Power to Torque (that's what gears are for) but you can't convert Torque to Power...
    So I'd rather have more power than more torque!
    Go the V6...
    Rob.

Silver '08 GXL Manual V6. O/L B-Bar, Bilstein/EFS lift, M-T STZ tyres, Cibie Oscar spots, Rear Eaton E-locker.

Lurker
    This petrol vs diesel debate is getting old.

Sorry Anth, that is marketing spin and yes torque is most definitely converted to power. Power does the work, not torque. As per the formula posted by Whitey, power measured in Joules per second (Watts) being the force (Newtons) applied at a radius of 1 meter (Newton meters) from the center of the crank for 360 degrees (2xPi) every second (RPM/60). You can view this description as the force of the pistons rotating the crank. Having an engine with higher torque values at lower RPMs just gives you more power at low RPMs where it is usable all the time. The petrol having 200kw of peak power and 380Nm of torque when nearing reline is not really usable. Those figures amount to marketing spin as well. However, the petrol does have a nice gradual increase in power as RPM rises. The diesel shows that power drops off after 2800 rpm and this is why it will feel sluggish after that rpm.

As you can see from the graph I have posted above, the diesel generates more power than the petrol at every rpm below 3300. Therefore, if gearing is the same then the petrol can do the same amount of work as the diesel but at higher rpms. This is also why the petrol needs to tow in a lower gear to lift the rpm to produce the power needed to maintain the velocity so the torque converter can lock up. If the engine cannot provide the power needed at the cruising RPM, the torque converter will slip the whole time increasing heat (joules) in the gear box paid for by excess fuel consumption. Regarding acceleration, the petrol will rev past 3300 rpm pretty quickly and stay above 3300 rpm throughout the gears. Therefore the petrol will accumulate significantly more power faster and will accelerate far better than the diesel.

Diesels are more fuel efficient than petrols because they have higher compression. The higher the compression the more efficient an otto cycle heat engine is. The higher the compression the longer the stroke, the longer the stroke the greater leverage (torque) applied to the crank. However, the greater the stroke the greater the piston velocity per cycle and therefore max rpm is lower. Diesels can also run very lean when not doing much work (when at idle) whereas a petrol needs to maintain air/fuel stoichiometry at all times. When you add a turbo to the engine it can use even less fuel when doing little work because engine volume is usually lower but it can still produce similar power outputs as a higher capacity engine. When under load, wasted energy in the exhaust is transferred to the intake air which makes the engine more efficient. Therefore, comparing the fuel efficiency of a turbo diesel to a normally aspirated petrol engine that has a 33% higher capacity is like comparing night to day. The turbo diesel will win the fuel economy argument every time!

Knowing this, why is there a petrol in my driveway? The main reason is because I think that the diesel engine is in lemon territory with all the failures it has had. The fuel savings do not amount to a new engine in the 5 years I plan to own the car out of warranty. The second reason is the smile that appears on my face when I floor it.

On my 3rd V6, had a 95 V6, 120 V6, now 150 V6 (had a turbo diesel Prado before the 120 petrol) would never ever go back to a diesel. My 120 I could achieve low to mid 11's on freeway with mods but running standard profile tyres but A/T's. my 150 comes in under 11's (10.8 L per 100 to be exact) again freeway, loaded but no mods on my 150 (just starting) so expect figures to be the same as 120 was. Around town absolute worst for my 120 was 17.2 for a full two tanks, nothing over 10k round trip, giving it off at the lights etc. superb engine. Even the old 95 series V6 was super reliable, I don't need exhaust mods, chips, tunes, catch cans, watching injector values I just turn the key and go. My 150 the only thing I do and don't like is the torque range is higher in the rev range then the 120 was, but once that vvti hits 3500rpm in my 150 sings all the way to redline and doing 130 with out blinking (of course in NT 😜&#128540 as long as they are well serviced there is no reason you won't see over 500 thou. There's a few earlier ones popping their heads up with head gaskets going but only minimal and not all have had excellent service history. Super smooth, super quit, super reliable, what more could you want

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    Hey,

Best

Mark
    The chart is correct. The Gibraltar website is not.

Also the Oz spec 1KZ had 343NM.

Try this redbook link to confirm specs: http://www.redbook.com.au/cars/resea...POT-ITM-279593

Mr ok's post #30 also is relevant.

Failing that a local dealer that still has old 150 1KD brochures hanging around should help to convince you as I dont have access to a 1KD owners manual to post-up.

There is no Diesel vs Petrol issue for me, I'd genuinely like to see the correct specs charted.
    Cheers
    Micheal.

2008 GXL D4D Auto. GOING... GOING... GONE
    2015 GXL 1GD Auto. And it begins again...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    My 150 the only thing I do and don't like is the torque range is higher in the rev range then the 120 was, but once that vvti hits 3500rpm in my 150 sings all the way to redline and doing 130 with out blinking (of course in NT &#128540
    Modifying the air intake (removing the propeller thing and enlarging the hole to full size) and fitting a K&N filter made a nice difference on mine low down.

I have a diesel for towing and camping, but my petrol is so much nicer to drive as a daily driver.
    95 3.0 Camp Car, 150 V6 Daily Driver

So to the op.
    What did you end up getting?
    The one with the 3" lift?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123