Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ironman Foamcell Pros – big bore hydraulics for the Prado IFS

Hey all,

After recently fitting some custom valved Ironman Foamcell Pros to the rear of my Prado, I wanted to complete a similar exercise in the front and test some big bore hydraulic struts. Everything you want to know about the valving of the rear shocks can be found here;

http://www.pradopoint.com.au/showthr...the-Prado-rear

The reasoning behind using high critical damping at low velocity is discussed here;

http://www.pradopoint.com.au/showthr...uts-and-shocks

After reading both of those threads, you will quickly realise that my goal in pushing the limits of what can be done with strut and shock valving for the Prado is to enhance the off-road performance in a big heavily loaded up touring vehicle at GVM weight or more. I am thinking of the harshest service conditions, long hot trips along the Canning, Madigan or Talawana, hard days on the Telegraph Track or The Old Coach Road, pushing up the Carson River Track in the Kimberley, all places I want to explore in my Prado when it is loaded to the brim to survive in remote and tough conditions. If you think your Prado can’t go to these places, think again!

In that sense, Ironman big bore hydraulic foamcells are an excellent choice. These shocks are built for heavy duty performance. They are rugged large bore twin tube truck sized shocks which contain a huge amount of oil, and have a hard earned reputation for fade resistance and being able to operate at high service temperatures. The other very big plus for me with choosing Ironman Pros is you can pull them apart at home by yourself and service them and change the valving. No gas pressure complicating a strip down/revalve.

Usually when people think of hydraulics they think of Koni. Ironman go a big step further. Here’s a comparison of the 88-1712 Koni RAID with the Ironman 45710FE strut. Ironman body/shaft/piston head diameter = 65mm/20mm/45mm. Koni 88-1712 RAID = 55mm/16mm/36mm. The photo below shows my new struts;

So why revalve what is already a very good 45710FE strut!?

The biggest hurdle with correctly valving the Prado is controlling vehicle pitch in off-road conditions. The next biggest problem after pitch is body roll. If you don’t run the correct amount of rebound in your rear shocks, your Prado will handle like a pogo stick off-road. Due to the inherent scaling of the IFS motion ratio on the front, the IFS is limited to a practical maximum of around 20%C/Ccr critical damping. You can’t run a bleed shim any finer through the motion ratio scaling. The much higher nearly 1:1 motion ratio on the rear solid axle geometry allows much higher critical damping. Critical damping is how the strut/shock is valved at low velocity, and depends on both knee velocity and damping rate. Low velocity damping is what minimises undesirable kinematics such as pitch, body roll, squat etc. All of these kinematic modes become more pronounced as the sprung mass increases, and in heavily loaded tourers it can dramatically degrade off-road performance if there isn’t enough critical damping or enough rebound. Pogo stick dynamics will ensue. Due to the mid-ranged motion ratio of the IFS, the majority of the kinematic control of the Prado comes from the rear shocks. The rear shock is the most important suspension component in the Prado, and if you don’t valve it correctly you’ll never have the Prado work properly off-road. Further, as you increase the sprung mass by loading up the rear, the critical damping decreases, by around 20% up to GVM.

After testing my rear custom valved Ironman Pros with 90%C/Ccr off-road (decreases to 70% loaded), I could still feel significant squat under hard acceleration in deep sandy rutted out conditions. This tells me that the D563 Bilsteins I was running don’t have enough low velocity damping, particularly the rebound, which would minimise that undesirable squat. The D563’s are a fantastic mid-high velocity strut, but they’re missing that low velocity control. My rear Ironmans with 90%C/Ccr have gone a very long way to the performance I was looking for off-road, but the front end was definitely letting it down in certain conditions.

My starting point to fix this undesirable squat using Ironman Pros was to minimise the knee velocity as far as practical to give kinematically active struts in the 100-150mm/s range at the wheel position.

The plot below shows how this was achieved;

The solid purple line is the new custom 45710 valving compared to my old D563 valving. You can see that to achieve short knee velocities at the wheel position, you must use low knees at the strut position. In this case 50mm/s translates to around 93mm/s at the wheel position. Having the knee in the 100-150mm/s range is where you gain kinematic body control. The D563 has around 265N at 100mm/s at the wheel position. The new 45710 valving has around 720N, an additional 455N at the wheel position. There has also been an additional 210N added on the compression at 100mm/s. You can see that at mid-high velocity, the 45710 valving remains similar to the D563, with mildly softer compression and mildly harder rebound.

The effects of the additional 455N rebound and 210N compression at 100mm/s is very pronounced on the street, and I could feel the difference compared to my old D563’s immediately. There is minimal nose dive under braking, and minimal squat under hard acceleration, exactly the pitching motions I wanted to minimise during off-road conditions.

All good you’re thinking for picking up the kids from school and driving to soccer, well think again!

The comfort-handling relationship in suspension is inescapable. These two functions are intertwined, and the transmissibility of Force into the sprung mass is inescapable. You cannot have a smooth driving Cadillac on the street and then have a Trophy Truck off-road. Suspension does not work like that, so I want to be clear to everyone who is thinking about this suspension: you will feel this low velocity damping activate on the street on hard 40psi tire pressures. You will feel it as I said under braking and acceleration, but you will also feel it while driving at 40km/h over minor bumps/dips, it will activate and you’ll feel a small tug through the sprung mass. You’ll feel it activate through roundabouts. This is the price you pay for excellent off-road handling, you must compromise some of the comfort. You cannot have it both ways! Most of the kinematic low velocity tugging on the sprung mass you’ll feel on the street is coming from the rear shocks. As I said, the majority of kinematic control comes from the rear shock and it is the most important suspension component in the Prado. I have not compromised on this rear shock valving. It is valved to work off-road, and it is brilliant off-road and cycles superbly in the hottest and roughest tracks and conditions I could find at the time in my Prado which was well over GVM.

In the quest to satisfy both on-road comfort and off-road handling, Ironman offers two different rear shocks that fit the Prado, the 45682FE (80 series spec) and the 45682FEC (Prado spec), neither of which have enough low velocity critical damping and/or high velocity rebound.

To try and keep everyone happy, for the upcoming Ironman group buy I will be revalving the 45682FEC rear shock, which will give you the option to move back to the comfort spec valving on the street (using the same coil), as the original comfort spec valve stacks will be supplied to you, and you can put them back in yourself. You even have the option then to run comfort on the street and then switch to your off-road valving for big trips. I have been driving my Prado around with the custom off-road 90%C/Ccr low velocity damping in the rear shocks for quite a while now, and my opinion of it activating on the crappy streets of Brisbane is that it is still more comfortable to drive than my wifes Mazda. Keep in mind I like to feel what my suspension is doing, so my assometer is tuned in and I’m always feeling for the Forces and what they’re doing and how I can push the limits with them. Some of you may not notice it, feeling is subjective.

This valving will be for turning your Prado into an off-road weapon, particularly big heavy tourers in tough driving conditions. You will be able to push harder and keep on pushing through rough terrain that would have had you braking or backing off previously. If this is what you want your Prado to do then the coming group buy is for you!

In the last few days I’ve already pounded these struts across gutters and speed bumps, and they are surprisingly supple, better than my D563’s. I will be conducting some extensive off-road testing with the new struts very soon and will report all my findings back here!

Big thanks to the shock builder Kristian at Ironman for seeing this complicated and time consuming valving process through to the end!

Best

Mark
    Whitey
    Shockie Maker of the Month Award
    Last edited by Whitey; 20-09-2017, 06:47 PM.
    2006 GXL petrol auto. ARB deluxe bar x3 HID IPF's, ARB alloy roofrack, ARB awning, BFG A/T, Safari snorkel, Piranha breathers, Pacemaker extractors, custom Ironman 45710FE 436-569mm with Dobinsons 350, custom Ironman 45682FE 383-618mm with Dobinsons 487, Firestone kevlar 60psi airbags, 30mm extended Roadsafe links, AMTS bashplate and recovery points, ABR Flyer with Powersonic AGM.

tldr; can I buy some?
    Silver '04 KZJ120~Manual~GXL~Dobinson/Kings lift~Custom valved Ironmans~Detroit Locker~Endless Air~X9 Superwinch~Madman EMS1~TJM Dual Battery~Rhino Roof Tray~120W solar panel~Foxwing awning~Bushskinz UVP~Long Ranger water tank~Bushman fridge~Steinbauer P-Box~Beaudesert 2 3/4"~Airtec Snorkel~TJM Sliders~Prico Boost Gauge~BFG-KO2s~TPMS~GME TX3420~Front and Rear Cameras~Ultimate Camper hanging off the back!

Comment

Hi Mark,

So mine is a daily driver with some beach work and currently no real extreme offroad work, and although touring is in the plans down the track it is not in the near future. So with that being the case would l be better suited to the standard foam cells or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by adrian5800 View Post
        tldr; can I buy some?
        Hey Adrian,

Yep for sure! ...I guess I'm getting old, I had to look up that acronym!

As soon as I've tested them off-road and am satisfied I'll fire up the group buy.

Very soon!

Best

Mark
        2006 GXL petrol auto. ARB deluxe bar x3 HID IPF's, ARB alloy roofrack, ARB awning, BFG A/T, Safari snorkel, Piranha breathers, Pacemaker extractors, custom Ironman 45710FE 436-569mm with Dobinsons 350, custom Ironman 45682FE 383-618mm with Dobinsons 487, Firestone kevlar 60psi airbags, 30mm extended Roadsafe links, AMTS bashplate and recovery points, ABR Flyer with Powersonic AGM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rdae1981 View Post
          Hi Mark,

So mine is a daily driver with some beach work and currently no real extreme offroad work, and although touring is in the plans down the track it is not in the near future. So with that being the case would l be better suited to the standard foam cells or something else?
          Hey,

The comfort spec valving will still serve you well! The big advantage you have is you can revalve the Ironman Pros to the off-road hardcore valving later down the track, and you can do it in the comfort of your own garage!

Best

Mark

Comment

So Mark, if I am reading the above correctly, those with heavy front ends - steel bull bars, dual battery etc, but very light rear ends which are usually empty 90% of the time. eg. like my GX 150 which only has 5 seats, will need to go for the comfort shocks [standard Ironman??] rather than the hard core off road ones you are developing for the rear to avoid that old leaf spring harshness.As far as I am concerned firm is good but harsh is not too pleasant for rear seat passengers. I have noticed through these 2 threads a number of posters with this heavy front/ light rear most of the time setup. With my old 120 with the OME medium set up the firm front was great all of the time and the back was great when loaded but quite harsh when empty even with the polyairs as low as 4 psi. Is it true to say that in Prados a lot of the improved handling comes from the well set up front end you have developed but the ride quality is coming from the back end? Or are both a mix of front and rear setups? OR are rear springs a bigger issue than rear shocks when it comes to on road ride/handling? So complicated .Neil

Comment

Hey Neil,

It sounds like you're concerned about how the Ironmans will feel on the street, so let me try and put your mind at ease!

First of all, there is no "old leaf spring harshness" with the custom valved Ironmans I have developed. Both the struts and the shocks have been carefully matched to specific coil rates. If you were to run the incorrect coil with them, then yes the setup might feel uncomfortable. The choice of coil you run with is very sensitive to the compression valving you run. Take a look at this graph which I used in the other Ironman thread;

The lesson here is if you were to use for example a 280lb/in coil from the blue box and use it with a rear shock with 1100N compression valving in the green box, then yes that will not feel good!

The easiest way to understand coil selection for your vehicle is to start with your vehicle weights and desired ride heights, then fit the coil rates which give around a 10% difference in frequency between front to rear. Then you choose your valving around the those coil rates. There's more to it than that basic explanation, eg, you need to know motion ratios, wheel rates, satisfy certain handling criteria such as Olley etc., but this is the basic recipe.

Regarding the Prado, I've explained above that the rear shock is what gives the majority of kinematic control. The motion ratio on the IFS limits the low velocity critical damping to around 20% C/Ccr, the rear shocks can be as high as you like due to the solid axle geometry. Due to the inherent limitations of the front motion ratio, this means for an independent front/solid axle rear 4wd, the great majority of kinematic control comes from the rear shocks. Both comfort and handling (note they are two different things) are controlled mostly by the rear shock. So first of all you need to know your rear coil rate is appropriate for the shock you are running. Then you need to know if that shock has enough rebound in it to control undesirable body kinematics such as pitch, roll etc. Then you need to know how high to run the critical damping by carefully choosing the rebound knee velocity, which will define the low velocity damping rate (the C/Ccr % I have used above).

How much critical damping you put in the shocks will determine in a large way how much comfort you will feel, in both on-road and off-road situations. On the street on high tire pressures, high critical damping Forces generated by the shocks will be more easily transmitted into the sprung mass of the vehicle. Don't forget the tire also functions like a coil spring, a very stiff one at high tire pressures! So yes, you will feel high critical damping Forces become active on the street if you run a high critically damped rear shock in a Prado with high tire pressures.

Conversely in an off-road situation high critical damping in the rear shocks of a Prado is extremely desirable. High critical damping will stop the body pitching, heaving and rolling when you are driving on tracks which will articulate the suspension to its limits. You won't feel the critical damping Forces as much on lower tire pressures, nor when you have the Prado loaded up and have increased the sprung mass, which decreases the C/Ccr damping by around 20% up to GVM.

I can almost guarantee you that you have not felt the valving Forces from high critically damped shocks, unless you have driven a rally car or race car that has been set up in such a fashion, which they regularly are.

On this basis, for those who may find the high critical damping sensation undesirable from the point of view of majority street driving, but for those who still want correctly valved rear shocks, I will also be offering a lower critically damped version of my custom rear shocks.

Regarding the front struts, there is no need to worry about such things as they are inherently limited by the IFS motion ratio, and you will never feel more than 20% C/Ccr on the street. Most passenger vehicles run similar critical damping rates. You won't even know it is there until you stomp on your brakes and notice how minimal your nose dive is. The valving I have shown above for the front struts will work equally well on the street and off-road. In particular it will minimise squat and heave modes, something the Prado is kinematically very susceptible to. The 19%C/ccr at wheel position I've shown in the plot above is twice what you will see in the best off the shelf struts.

It is very hard to satisfy everyone when it comes to suspension, particularly those who want it to be comfortable on-road and brilliant handling off-road. The two cannot be had together, and a compromise must be made. In this sense, many manufacturers (including the big names) sell "all rounder" or "middle of the road" struts and shocks. Most buyers of suspension won't even know what they have, nor what the valving is. Not being critical, it's just the facts of life, not everybody knows how suspension functions, and it can be a very complicated procedure to get it correct, and there can be several interpretations of the correct valving/coil rate combinations, as I showed above for the rear shocks. Both that blue and green box above can be interpreted based on vertical g-load Forces, maximum shaft velocities and much, much, much, much more!

So I hope this gives you a better picture, that rear shock is a very important suspension component to get correct, the most important in the Prado!

The valving options for the rear shocks will all be presented when I throw up the group buy. There will be 3 options for the rear shocks, my top of the range high 90%C/Ccr shocks, a softer critically damped version of those which will also run moderately softer mid-high velocity rebound and compression, and the 3rd option will be the original comfort spec Ironman valving.

Your point about the polyairs, I find that no matter what pressure you run in the rear airbags, they always give a stiffer feeling to the rear of the Prado. You will always feel them in an unloaded rear going over speedbumps etc. Part of the problem is the high tire pressures on the street. Start with 37psi on cold tires as a maximum, they'll quickly generate a few extra psi as they heat up.

You will always be fighting the interconnected relationship between comfort and handling, the two functions are inextricably intertwined. Just always remember the majority of kinematic control comes from the rear shocks for a Prado, so that comfort/handling relationship is played out in the rear shock valving/coil rate combination.

I personally don't mind driving on the street in a vehicle with high critical damping, but some may not enjoy the feedback of this marvel of kinematic technology!

Hope this helps!

Best

Mark
              Whitey
              Last edited by Whitey; 20-09-2017, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Thanks Mark. A very clear explanation for us mere mortals in suspension terms! With this set up I am planning to avoid the Polyairs for precisely the reason you gave. They can always be added later if needed. Re. tyre pressures I find 32-34 psi works well around town. It is clear that it all boils down to the back end and the actual mix of shocks and coils. Roly poly squatting nose diver soon to be fixed.

Comment

Any chance those of us in Bris can join you on these off-road tests? haha. Sounds like a great day!

Comment

Hey all,

Was a great day of testing out the new struts up at Mt Mee;

Struts are fantastic off-road, no need to lift off going up A Break, just power through, suspension is cycling beautifully!

Best

Mark
                    Whitey
                    Last edited by Whitey; 20-09-2017, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Good to hear the off road testing is up to your standards. Waiting anxiously

Comment

Comment

Hi Mark, I am curious how your high 90%C/Ccr version and a softer critically damped version compare to a Bilstein 24-217897 in terms of rebound and compression valving curve?
                          Last edited by oneday; 04-06-2017, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oneday View Post
                            Hi Mark, I am curious how your high 90%C/Ccr version and a softer critically damped version compare to a Bilstein 24-217897 in terms of rebound and compression valving curve?
                            Hey Will,

The softer rear Ironman still doesn't exist yet, so I can only tell you at the moment I'm targeting around 20% lower than my 90% C/Ccr versions. It will hopefully be finalised by end of next week, so I can tell you more then. I don't want to take too much off, as this will just put more pitch, squat and body roll back in.

Unfortunately I don't have 24-217897 dyno data to model the critical damping, so I can only hazard a guess it will be somewhere in the 50-60% range. Off the shelf critical damping numbers for solid axle shocks can vary enormously dependent on the manufacturer, eg, BP-51 and Tough Dogs are very low, Bilsteins tend to be much higher, I'd say at least 50%.

Regarding the critical split between rebound and compression, for a Bilstein they can vary a bit, but for the rear Prado shocks, I'd say you'll be looking at around 150mm/s rebound knee, and somewhere in the 50-150mm/s on the compression.

There isn't a heap of C/Ccr in the mid-high velocity damping on a Prado Bilstein as it is strongly digressive, so you can always work backwards off say 10% to get a ballpark estimate of the rebound/compression ratio around the knee velocities.

The 24-217897 at 0.52m/s is 3700N/515N (as supplied by Jim from Quadrant). With 10%C/Ccr post knee, for 150mm/s knees you'd be looking at around something like 2600N/200N.

That rebound is pretty nice for that knee, I always like to see at least 2000N by 150mm/s, otherwise you'll end up with sloppy body roll etc. Compression is a bit too soft for my liking, I'd prefer to see around 400N at the compression knee so you'll see at least 800N at 0.52m/s.

For my softer version of the rear Ironman, I'd like to see at least 2000N/400N by 150mm/s on both knees, otherwise it will just be too sloppy. The rear shock controls the majority of the kinematics in the Prado, as the IFS motion ratio scales the critical damping severely at the wheel position, leaving you with typically a maximum of 20%C/Ccr on the IFS, it's too hard to run any finer a bleed shim.

Hope this helps!

Best

Mark

Comment

Your detailed explanation definitely helps. I am guessing the the comfort version could be in the 3500-3100N/850-800N range, therefore less rebound and more compression than the Bilstein.

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                              mencisport.com
                              antalya escort
                              tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              gaziantep escort
                              gaziantep escort
                              asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                              erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                              atasehir escort tuzla escort
                              sikis sex hatti