Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Any news on this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by retro View Post
    Hi Gents,

If it cant be fixed im selling the vehicle.

I wont buy another Toyota again.
    I hate to say it, as I bought this car as a long-termer and bought a Toyota because of their reputation, but I'm in the same boat. The DPF gets replaced next week. If they can't fix the squealing sound after having another go, then its not something I can live with either. The plus side is the resale, but after only one year I'll be taking a hit regardless. Never thought I'd be feeling this way about a Toyota!

I've also got an engineer mate who's also a mechanic (he builds old Toyota's from scratch) who I'll be taking for a drive shortly. If between him and Toyota not being able to fix the problem, it's up for sale.

Advanced Member
    Check if there is an expansion joint in the exhaust pipe. Mine squealed after going offroad. Probably because dirt got in between the sliding parts. I sprayed mine with clear grease and all sorted.
    2008 GXL D4D + Option Pack 1, Safari snorkel, factory alloy bar, dual battery system, Lovells TFR-118/TRR119 Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Prodigy P3 brake controller, factory tow bar, Orac coupling.

Ok slight update.
    Been in and out of town the last couple of weeks so haven't been able to keep an eye on it 24/7 (the issue).

Actually got under the car again late last week and noticed my drivers side rear OME suspension is leaking oil, and have emailed ARB and they're ordering me in a replacement. Not sure whether this is the reason for the noise, but hey I'm open to anything at the moment that may be an easy fix.

Next, the expansion joint as mentioned above was given an above liberal dose of WD-40 last night but lo and behold, the noise was there on the drive home from work (which is when it usually rears it's ugly head)

So next up this afternoon I got my big spray bottle of Mech-Oil (pretty much WD-40) and coated the whole underside of the car, including the wheel arches, brake callipers, drive shafts and pretty much any moving part underneath, and so far on the drive home tonight (again, usually when I'll hear it best) there was nothing. Definitely got my fingers crossed this has muted it as taking it back and forth to Toyota doesn't seem like my idea of fun.

Will keep everyone posted and will put up a video of the sound tomorrow for others to check out. Sounds like it's not an isolated issue...

Update to this - but I will put it in the DPF and White Smoke entry... but my squealing has gone (fingers crossed)

Dammit. Spoke to soon. After the DPF replacement, it ran sweetly and without a whistling/ squealing/ bearing sound for around 1500km's. This was a far cry from the every 70km's (almost like clockwork in the same place coming home from work) that I was getting. However, I have only just today heard the sound back again - not as bad, but it's how it started last time. All the same sounds, and it's getting worse again. I give it another 6 months or so for Toyota to fix (the local Toyota are aware of two others with similar complaints) else it's on the market. This really is annoying and so far I have spent more on warranty on this car than any other one I have owned (yet I turned to this brand because it was meant to be one of if not the best for long-term reliability).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12