Lurker

Squealing from engine bay - coasting and under load (intermittent)

Hey Gents,

Sort of over this now, but here's a long shot.

Coming home thru the tunnel in Perth today at 80km in overdrive ( auto ) I heard a squealing sound, thought it was something to do with the semi next to me, so it went for about 2 km, when I exited the tunnel I got away from him only to notice it was my vehicle, it was an extremely loud high pitched squeal, like a rock caught between the rotor and the back plate but higher pitched, to the point of being ear piercing!!

I slowed and it become intermittent, then stopped after 1km, it then came back fading in and out for the next 5 km.

Anyone got any experience with Turbos in the 2.8L
    Last edited by retro; 30-05-2017 at 08:46 PM.

Mine does a high pitched noise every now and again (but not that loud). Seems it is due to the DPF doing its thing. Another thread has mre on this.

Solved by either letting it pass or giving it 'some gas' over a few kms seems to help.

Lurker
    Hi Oz,

Mine did it again yesterday afternoon, it lasted for 2 km and initially faded in and out, again it was at around 1500rpm doing 60km, and was constant at its worst, DPF burn was not in process, and again was extremely high pitched bit not quite as loud, still disconcerting as we are planning a 15000km trip for 3 months in November with our young boys across Australia.

Lurker
    It did it again today for a prolonged period, only when under 1500rpm.

I had the same problem with my 3.0 i thought it was a rock stuck in the brakes but it kept doing under load and off load it would cut in and out almost like brakes metal on metal so i got it put on the dyno and it wouldn't do it of course then it did it every now and then like once for 3 seconds every 100km then it disappeared and hasn't done it again in about 800km so fingers crossed here.

Fan Belt Slipping ?

I have had no such noises from the 2.8, only the DPF burn causing the engine to rev higher while the car was idling.

Anyone else with this problem reported above? Hopefully somebody can shed some light as it's got me stumped.
    My 2014 GXL just started doing this exact same thing after being serviced last Monday. Have managed to get a bit of it on video today but definitely doesn't do it justice to just how loud and high pitched it is. Metal on metal and high pitched is exactly how it sounds. Under load and coasting. Usually around the 80 km mark for me. Manual transmission.

Will monitor over the weekend and back to Toyota on Monday if it continues.. But guaranteed it won't be doing it as soon as I take the tech for a drive...

I've had the exact same in a 2016 2.8L

It went in for warranty twice with it - but it appears only to occur when warm and when no mechanic is around. I don't think it's DPF related, however at the end of the Month I'm getting my DPF replaced under warranty so I will be able to cancel that out for sure come two weeks from now.

My 2014 gxl had that problem but it disappeared after about 1000km but it was not after a service it just appeared from know were keep us up dated on how you go I'm interested to see what it is.

Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by lordsword View Post
    Anyone else with this problem reported above? Hopefully somebody can shed some light as it's got me stumped.
    My 2014 GXL just started doing this exact same thing after being serviced last Monday. Have managed to get a bit of it on video today but definitely doesn't do it justice to just how loud and high pitched it is. Metal on metal and high pitched is exactly how it sounds. Under load and coasting. Usually around the 80 km mark for me. Manual transmission.

Will monitor over the weekend and back to Toyota on Monday if it continues.. But guaranteed it won't be doing it as soon as I take the tech for a drive...

Yes it's definitely not DPF related as my 2014 obviously doesn't have one.
    Drove to the beach this morning and started up about 10 minutes up the road so definitely not only when warm or been driving for ages. Interestingly I noticed, with the window up, that there was a high pitched ringing sort of noise coming from beneath the glovebox? Came one around the 80k/h mark same as the outside noise, under load or coasting and similar sort of pitch to radio interference? But radio off made no difference and AC on or off made no difference either. Is the ECU under there??
    Just clicked over 60K km and would be absolutely spewing if I didn't have extended warranty. Heading in first thing Monday morning armed with video of the sound and will take a tech for a drive. Love the car but this noise unsolved would dead set make me sell the car...

Lurker
    Hi Gents,

Well mine is still doing in. Managed to get 20 videos of it, managed to take the dealer for a 20km drive with it doing it.
    Left it with them, they took it out again and said they couldn't replicate it so they cant do anything about it.

Went back to Melbourne head office, same story, I asked them how are they going to replicate it in the workshop if it does it at 80 to 100km/h ?????

They refuse to do anything more until it completely fails, if that is when going across the Nullabour ( in 4 weeks time for our trip ) I am responsible to tow it to the dealer and my camper at my expense. Lovely.

I have requested a full transcript of all conversations and I am taking it to consumer protection.

If it cant be fixed im selling the vehicle.

I wont buy another Toyota again.