Thread: Beach 4WDing

Lurker

Beach 4WDing

Hey guys,
    I just picked up my first prado, A 2014 VX D4D.
    I'm so pumped to get it off road. I have had next to no experience so I'm in need a few tips.
    I have a house down at Culburra Beach, South Coast NSW so I'm looking for beach and off road tracks easy to medium that I can take my family on without getting into much strife (I Have a 4 and a 2 year old kids)
    And what basics should I bring along with me as far the car goes (apart from general stuff like food and toys) I'm talking like a compressor for the tyres after I deflate them and things like that.
    Thanks heaps for the help guys, p.s this forum is kick ass!!!

Hey mate,
    As far as beach driving goes, not much is needed besides low tyre pressures. Maxtrax can come in very handy when you get stuck though.
    Also some recovery gear such as rated points, shackles and a snatch strap just in case.

Advanced Member
    Tyre pressure and momentum are the 2 single important things to beach driving. Get that right and you're good as gold.
    2007 GXL V6 - ARB Bullbar with LED lights, snorkel, extractors, 2 1/4" dual exhaust, K&N filter, dimpled/slotted rotors, headrest dvd players, Ebay Satnav/reverse camera, GME 3100TX, Tigerz11 Side awning on custom brackets with Maxtrax mounts, 300W Invertor, ARB Underbody protection, Lightbar and STZ 265/70 tyres.
    Wish list in order I'll get them: Sliders, 2" lift, E-locker, Winch bar with winch.

As others have said, reduced tyre pressures (depending how soft the sand is) and momentum are the main things. I would recommend that you carry recovery gear, rated tow points front and a tow hitch rear at a minimum, snatch strap, shovel and maxtrax are very good for a sand recovery.
    Study up and know when the high and low tides are.

Probably the most important thing is to have FUN!

[2007 GXL 120 3.0L D4D Auto] Mods: Bilstein Shocks & King 2" Lift Springs - 265/70/17 Cooper AT/3s Tyres - ARB Deluxe bullbar - LED Spotlights & Worklights - Snorkel - BushSkinz bash plates - 2.2m Alloy Overlander Full Rack - 2.5m Wanderer Awning - GME TX3120S UHF & GME AE4703 6.6dBi - Milford Cargo Barrier - JVC indash DVD - Maxtrax - Pulling a heavily modified Jayco Dove Pop Top Camper

If your new to 4wding.

Go with a mate first. Learn what to do
    11/06 kdj120 gx wide body auto

And don't forget to turn off the traction control...

Have a read of this thread http://www.pradopoint.com.au/showthr...n-Sand-Awesome!

Have fun!!

I would avoid getting close to tide level until you fell comfortable with driving on the beach stay high and dry, u dont want to be the pin up boy for pradopoint :P
    Follow The Zuttas OZ ADVENTURE on FB...https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Z...9452033?ref=hl