Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

suspect holed piston - what should i replace (pistons, rings- anything else??)

I have a 2010 3l diesel with a suspect holed piston - description of symptom below
    I bought the car as is and got it cheap so this is not a whinge thread but more a what should I replace thread :-)

car starts with a hick up and runs rough, after starting it idles up to about 1100 and the engine is shaking a lot. Pull the oil filler cap and excess blow by - comes in regular big shots, not a heap of smoke but a bit, if I pull the dipstick I get the same woosh woosh woosh and smoke
    I connected a "Launch" scan gauge and it came up with 2 errors (no code just ad error) which both said injectors.

Car has done 190ks, So assuming there is no damage to the block apart from replacing pistons and rings and injectors (timing belt too I guess) is there anything else that should be replaced? - not looking to take to it with an open cheque book but whilst it is apart may as well address anything obvious

cheers
    Bill

bit hard to diagnose without a teardown , but i would start with a compression test ( even a finger over the glow plug hole will suffice ) then once the head comes off check to make sure the bore hasnt worn oval or has gouges from the cracked piston .

it just gets better - moving it onto a tilt tray last night to go to mechanic the engine seized/locked up.........

Should be easier to diagnose now! (gotta try and look at the funny side of this right!!)

possibly the piston has cracked in two and has now siezed in the bore. Ive also seen the pistons fail at the gudgeon pins in one motor - that motor had great compression but sounded like a bag of hammers

Should have gone the petrol This is exactly why I got my petty a couple of litres per 100km is much cheaper than a full rebuild the D4D is the engine that will ruin Toyotas reputation with diesel engines it should be called the common fail.

Quote Originally Posted by matstandage View Post
    Should have gone the petrol This is exactly why I got my petty a couple of litres per 100km is much cheaper than a full rebuild the D4D is the engine that will ruin Toyotas reputation with diesel engines it should be called the common fail.
    Read the post...

Quote Originally Posted by matstandage View Post
    And this adds what to the discussion?
    Steve

2010 Silver GXL Prado 150, D4D Auto, with a few non standard bits

I hope you got it really cheap then just buy a wrecked hilux or the engine and use that.

Out of control poster! mjrandom's Avatar
    Could be an opportunity to repower... with something different.
    Bluestorm mafia and maybe one or two other vices.
    My 150: http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread...-D4D-automatic

Quote Originally Posted by mjrandom View Post
    Could be an opportunity to repower... with something different.
    4BT cummins..
    Silver '04 KZJ120~Manual~GXL~Dobinson/Kings lift~Custom valved Ironmans~Detroit Locker~Endless Air~X9 Superwinch~Madman EMS1~TJM Dual Battery~Rhino Roof Tray~120W solar panel~Foxwing awning~Bushskinz UVP~Long Ranger water tank~Bushman fridge~Steinbauer P-Box~Beaudesert 2 3/4"~Airtec Snorkel~TJM Sliders~Prico Boost Gauge~BFG-KO2s~TPMS~GME TX3420~Front and Rear Cameras~Ultimate Camper hanging off the back!

Out of control poster! mjrandom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adrian5800 View Post
    4BT cummins..
    I was thinking along those lines.
    Bluestorm mafia and maybe one or two other vices.
    My 150: http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread...-D4D-automatic

Cummins 4BT is a BIG engine. 3.9L, Weight: 782 lbs w/ oil (355kg), 105 hp @ 2,300 rpm, 265 lb-ft @ 1,600 rpm

What is the weight of the Prado's KD engine?

Cummins Crate engine. 2.8L turbo.

https://cumminsengines.com/repower.aspx

Torque: 267 lb-ft @1500-3000 RPM
    Horsepower: 161 hp @ 3600
    Dimensions: 28.3 in (H) x 25 in (W) x 25.1 in (D)
    Engine Weight: 503 lbs (230kg)

Would it be possible to have emissions approval for the Cummins?
    2008 D4D M6 GXL [MT ATZ-P3][Whitey's Ironman 45710FE/45682FE+KTFR101H/Dob487][extended Roadsafe links][Polyairs][DBA T3/T2][amts diffdrop & recovery points][Tin175's stone guards][Bushskins BashPlate][ARB Sahara][IPF 900s][Snorkel][WindCheetah][MaxTrax][IC-440][Parrot Asteroid][ARB Fridge][Lifestyle 2nd Row Fridge Mount][ARB Compressor][Thumper][SandGrabbers][Cargo Barrier][Tigerz Awning][MCC Rear Bar]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast