Changing Rear axle seal

Hi All,

Found a fairly decent oil leak on my left rear axle.....Z2L3OKbfSWGWhtBQ14y1xw.jpgZ2L3OKbfSWGWhtBQ14y1xw.jpg

Time to pull it apart.....
    06 120 GXL 1KZ-TE man, modified exhaust, K&N, OME 2",spacers, Sovereign BB, Safari Snorkel, Hella 4000, 33" muddies, ARB 60L fridge / slide ,custom rear drawer, cargo barrier and table, Ironman 9500lb Winch, TJM underbody guards, DIY Radiator bash plate, Outback Ideas recovery points, AJ's sliders, CKMA12, lockers, ext rear breather, UHF, dual batt, SBi12, ARB alloy roof cage, ARB side awning...

Hi Fourbyphil
    Can you tell us more about this repair? I found a leak on my wheel that look like diff oil. I've been told that you cannot just replace the seals, you need to replace the whole hub assembly. Cost of the parts alone is $300 with similar for labour. My 120 is now 13 years old with 190K on the clock. When I first saw the leak I thought it may be a good idea to get both done considering the age, but now I'm not so sure.
    2004 GXL V6, full house
    My build up here http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread...ng-2004-GXL-V6

You can replace just the seal but you should also get the oring too that goes between the axle tube and flange.

Drain diff oil, unbolt the brake.caliper, remove disc, remove the 4 Bolts holding the axle carrier flange to the axle tube and it will slide out revealing the seal.

$300 for labour is reasonable but the parts is a bit exxy. You may also want to check the handbrake shoes and brake pistons at the same time while is all out.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomslang View Post
    Hi Fourbyphil
    Can you tell us more about this repair? I found a leak on my wheel that look like diff oil. I've been told that you cannot just replace the seals, you need to replace the whole hub assembly. Cost of the parts alone is $300 with similar for labour. My 120 is now 13 years old with 190K on the clock. When I first saw the leak I thought it may be a good idea to get both done considering the age, but now I'm not so sure.
    Replacing the whole hub sounds like your informant may have been thinking of the front axels?
    SOUTH AUSTRALIA GATEWAY TO THE OUTBACK!
    2003 GXL V6 AUTO 120 CHAMPAGNE MICA [DUNE]
    LIST OF ACCESSORIES GROWING, WISH LIST SLOWLY DECLINING

Front hub seals are also individually replaceable