Lurker

Redarc Tow Pro for 2017 Prado

Has anyone fitted a Redarc Tow Pro trailer brake controller to a later model Prado?
    I have a new 150 and need to fit this soon.
    Any suggestions appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Follow the instructions they supply, pretty easy and foolproof

I installed a 'classic' Redarc controller in my 2012 Prado 4 years ago. I installed the adjustment knob to the right of the drivers knee but I always kept hitting it, getting in out. So I put it in the centre console near the usb port. I found that the ideal place because you could find it without looking. It's also an easy position to install the wires by simply uninstalling the glove box and passenger side kick panel and tucking the wires up under the left hand side of the centre console.

I've just ordered the the 2018 GXL with the leather upgrade and heated seats and noticed there is no port in the centre position any more. I'll be installing a tow pro elite when I get it.

IMG_2171.jpg

Therefore I'll need to find a new position for it when it arrives in Jan. Hopefully a position I don't need to look for it while driving. I know its all automatic but its nice to get to it quick. I only carry a Malibu ski boat behind for towing.I've been told, with electric over hydraulic brakes that the tow pro works better in manual mode. I don't know how true that is but I'll find out soon enough.

When I installed the classic model , I ran the the positive and negative wires straight to the the starter battery (don't forget the CB) and then run the trailer and brake wire straight to the trailer pin. I can't remember if I wired it in prior the ECU or straight to the pin. Saying that others have sent the brake wire to the brake pedal instead but make sure you get the correct wire. I think i 6mm wire was what was recommended. Also remember with the tow pro that the unit can't move so it needs to be firmly installed. I've seen installations using strong double sided tape but I'm unsure on how effective that is. I'd be interested to hear others opinions as I'll be fitting a tow pro elite very soon. I hope that helps

Out of control poster! mjrandom's Avatar
    This is pre facelift. Easy install. Pink or purple wire off brake pedal. Everything else as per instructions.

Bluestorm mafia and maybe one or two other vices.
    My 150: http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread...-D4D-automatic

Lurker
    Make up a small mounting plate and mount it up under the steering column, there is a threaded hole on it.
    A piece of gal sheet metal with four nutserts and a hole drilled for mounting (nutsert gun from AutoOne $60).
    I ran the Sidewinder brake harness kit to the rear.
    Buy the switch bezel from Redarc instead of modifying the original.
    2017_TowProElite_Install_Brkt.jpg
    2017_TowProElite_Install001.jpg
    2017_Switches_DualFunction.jpg
    2017_TowProElite_Install.jpg Tow Pro Installed, there is a bracket near the steering column that you can bolt the unit to.
    Last edited by Halsey; 06-12-2017 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Added installed photo

Lurker
    Some excellent ideas there, thanks Halsey