Blog Entries

10.4" tesla-style vertical screen android navigation radio

So I spotted this on a US - Lexus FB Group page. It looks pretty schmick if it works. Waiting to hear feedback from the guinea pigs first though. It will also control your A/C if you have the Vx/Grande style push button Climate Controls as opposed to the manual controls. You will be able to load whatever android Navi program you wish along with other apps. (TorquePro etc...) It says it is also WiFi capable via hotspot or the like. Cool...

Here's the link to the supplier - Who wants to go first?
    https://phoenixandroidradios.com/col...rado-2003-2009

Last edited by craigm; 18-12-2017 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Changed hyperlink
    2004 V6 Grande. BLACK - Sahara Bar, IPF 900s HID's, Aurora 40" LED Bar, Runva 11XP Winch, Airtec Snorkel, Whitey’s Custom Valved Ironman Foam Cell Pros with Rear Coil Conversion, ARB Rear Locker, Pro Comps on ATX Killer Rims, GME 3400 UHF, Dual Batt with SBI12,, Pioneer Platform, Sandgrabbas, DRIFTA Drawers, Maxtrax on TraxRax, ARB 60l Fridge, Supa-Peg Awning, Diff Breathers, AJ120 Sliders
    My Rig Here

I almost bought a 12.1 inch screen unit for my 2015 GXL but the Chinese supplier said that it would not work on a right hand drive car so I took a chance with a 10 inch version. You must have read all my posts about it? The supplier also said that it was only suitable for left hand drive but as it was about half the price of the unit that replaces the aircon controls I took a gamble.
    The android part is brilliant, as you say you can run whatever navigation program you want, not what Toyota restricts you to, I recently updated my maps to 2017 Q3 and of course torque pro runs with a BT adapter etc etc.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the heads up re right hand drive and potential canbus issues John. I also see this mob also make the 12.1 for the 150 Prado (2009 - 2017). I have flicked the reseller an email querying the RHD & Canbus compatibility and will see what there response is.
    2004 V6 Grande. BLACK - Sahara Bar, IPF 900s HID's, Aurora 40" LED Bar, Runva 11XP Winch, Airtec Snorkel, Whitey’s Custom Valved Ironman Foam Cell Pros with Rear Coil Conversion, ARB Rear Locker, Pro Comps on ATX Killer Rims, GME 3400 UHF, Dual Batt with SBI12,, Pioneer Platform, Sandgrabbas, DRIFTA Drawers, Maxtrax on TraxRax, ARB 60l Fridge, Supa-Peg Awning, Diff Breathers, AJ120 Sliders
    My Rig Here

Looks great but I do worry about these touch screens making their way into vehicles. I've got a small screen for the HVAC controls in my commodore and you have to take your eyes of the road to look at what you are doing as there is no tactile or sound feedback. I know it is the future and hope they introduce voice control or some sort of decent haptics into them.

Yes I do agree about the safety aspects, however I do think that Toyota have gone too far by disabling the ability to look for an address in the navigator whilst moving. I am not suggesting that this could be done by the driver but surely it would be simple to detect that a passenger was in the front seat? I can remember when using the factory navigation my wife trying to input an address in stop start heavy traffic quickly enough while the car was stationary, a very frustrating experience.
    The cheapo Chinese android units like mine already have voice control, so it can be used on say google maps, and it does recognise even my agricultural Norfolk accent very well.