TPMS Review - DigOptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TPMS Review - DigOptions

I recently bought a tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS) through Matt at Dig Options. Initially it was sent to me by Matt to test and evaluate and I was happy enough with its performance to pay for it.

Final pricing is yet to be announced, but in the interests of being open I paid what I understand to be Matt’s cost price.

In the pictures posted I have blanked out the branding on this particular unit. This was done on Matts request as it was a demo unit supplied for evaluation by the manufacturer, future units will be re-branded to Matt’s business.

Whilst I’m happy to answer technical questions on the unit, please be aware I have no business association with Matt/ Dig Options and all sales enquiries should be directed to Matt, either by PM or Email;

Email: [email protected]

PM:PM Matt

My understanding is Matt is happy to offer a % discount price to Prado Point members if you contact him directly through email or PM (i.e.; not purchasing through Ebay or their upcoming direct website)

The basic unit comes with 4 sensors and I have ordered an additional 2 as I rotate through 6 tyres.

The Dig Options TPMS has the following features:
    - Colour LCD screen.
    - Can monitor up to 27 tyres
    - Displays both pressure and temperature both as a number and in bar graph format.
    - Uses what is apparently a common valve fitting that is easy to obtain (the sensors don’t fit the Toyota valves)
    - Displays signal strength and battery condition of each sensor.
    - Also displays the vehicles battery voltage.
    - Visual and audible alarms

The unit is manufactured in Taiwan and comes well packaged and seems to be made from quality materials/plastics, with a very good fit and finish.

The instruction book is also a reasonably good effort, much better than Chinese sourced products. It’s printed on glossy paper, has colour pictures and a reasonably good English translation with only some minor gramma errors that I could spot.

When reading the instructions the unit at first seems a little hard to program but once you power it up and actually use it, it’s really quite simple.

The head unit has a colour LCD display and can be either mounted via the supplied foot or vent mounts (some double sided Velcro is also supplied). Power comes from what looks to be a reasonable quality, fused, metre long lead with cigarette lighter style plug.

The sensors themselves are the internal type with a claimed battery life of 5-7 years.

Obviously if you don’t have the ability to break a tyre bead yourself then they need to be fitted by your local tyre shop.

For those fitting themselves I found you only need to break the bead on the valve side as there is just enough room to fit the sensor without having to resort to taking the whole tyre off the rim.

The sensors are quite light and have not affected the balance of my MTZ’s, but I would suggest a tyre balance would be a good idea soon after fitting.

The original Toyota valve compared to the new one (far right)

I tested pressure (using both a VDO and Jamec-PEM gauge) and temperature (using an industrial infra-red thermometer) and found the pressure readings shown to be within a PSI of either gauge (and the gauges within a PSI of each other).

Temperature was also within 1-2 degrees of readings taken.

The specs rate the unit at +-3 degrees and +- 1.38 psi.

I’ve now been using the unit for the last 2-3 weeks and it has performed as expected. The only niggle being it’s hard to read the display at angle. It has to be mounted flat to the driver’s line of sight or it can be very difficult to read in bright light.

The plug could easily be removed and the unit hard wired.

Here the unit is in "Function mode", normally the vehicles battery voltage is displayed where the "FUN" is.

Mick
    [CENTER][B][I][SIZE=1][COLOR=blue]1KZ-TE Turbo Diesel, 5 speed manual, 3.5 inch lift, 265/70/17 Mickey Thompson MTZ, D-Tronic chip, Boost controller, mandrel exhaust, dump pipe, modified intake, ARB steel bar, Magnum winch, Safari snorkel, rear drawers, half cargo barrier, dual batteries, Uniden UHF, Sat Nav, reverse camera, Magellan XL , Tjm bash plates, ARB alloy roof rack, rear telescopic work light and numerous other modifications!!!
    Now with 3BAR MAP sensor & 18PSI Boost![/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B][/CENTER]

Re: Product review - DigOptions TPMS

Great write up Mick,

It is one of the things I suggested he look at when he was asking for ideas. I guess a few other people must have as well.

Cheers Neil
    White 2013 GXL 79 series dual cab, ARB GVM Upgrade, ARB Delux winch bar and scrub bars, GME TX3440 and much more to come

Comment

Thanks Mick. For me, the fact ill need to break my bead to fit the new valve is a downfall.. its a shame they cant be sourced to fit.
      I found the Caska head unit when I was researching head units for the prado and these have the option to be a TPMS (see here at 2mins 33sec: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rDLkZwsMCE&NR=1) I wonder if DigiOptions head units could be upgraded to do the same?
      [b]Silver 2008 D4D Auto GXL[/b]
      [url=http://www.pradopoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6032]My build up[/url]

Comment

Great write up Mick,

It is one of the things I suggested he look at when he was asking for ideas. I guess a few other people must have as well.

Cheers Neil
        Thanks Neil,

This fell into my lap, he asked me for ideas as well and I just happen to be in the market for a TPMS at the time.

Matt has a second, different unit on it's way to me to compare with this one so watch this space for further info.

I'll also update with correct pricing as soon as Matt lets me know.

Thanks Mick. For me, the fact ill need to break my bead to fit the new valve is a downfall.. its a shame they cant be sourced to fit.
        I saw the internal sensor as a bonus and it was something I prefered to have over the screw in style (for example TyreDog) which to me seem a little vunerable to damage and/or theft.

Breaking the bead on a tyre isn't that hard, I'll post some pics down the track when I have time, but basically I use the old "Bush" technique of using the Toyota jack under the towbar which, while fiddley, is quite effective. It took me about 15min each tyre to fit the sensors.

I imagine most will get their sensors installed at a tyre shop. I have no idea what this would cost, so if someone does maybe they could let us know.

Matt is also sourcing screw on style sensors for those that want to go with that option (this may be the second unit he is sending me for testing)

Mick
        [CENTER][B][I][SIZE=1][COLOR=blue]1KZ-TE Turbo Diesel, 5 speed manual, 3.5 inch lift, 265/70/17 Mickey Thompson MTZ, D-Tronic chip, Boost controller, mandrel exhaust, dump pipe, modified intake, ARB steel bar, Magnum winch, Safari snorkel, rear drawers, half cargo barrier, dual batteries, Uniden UHF, Sat Nav, reverse camera, Magellan XL , Tjm bash plates, ARB alloy roof rack, rear telescopic work light and numerous other modifications!!!

Comment

Great post Mick, thank you for your evaluation.

Guys, we have one more TPMS to evaluate and will make our decision based on a number of factors including quality and features. We hope to release these items within 6 to 8 weeks. Hopefully the same time our website will launch. In the meantime, we're looking to road test the model we decide on, through various conditions.

Thank you all for your interest in our products and support.

Comment

TPMS Review - DigOptions

Like MickL, I also purchased a TPMS from Matt at DigOptions to review.

Please not, I purchased this and am in no way tied to Matt, or DigOptions, just providing an honest review!

So, first things first. Why purchase a TPMS (Tyre Pressure Management System)?. To start off with, I'm sure most people here are running tyres that are individually $400 minimum. With the TPMS it'll detect a leak/puncture a lot sooner than you will! The longer you drive with a puncture, the more damage you do, the less likely it is you can get it safely repaired. So I figured the initial outlay of less than one tyre was worth it, giving me a sense of security and lets face it, one more gadget in the cabin . One thing I did find interesting though, is the relationship between the pressure and temperature of the tyres. Say I started a trip at 40psi and 20 degrees C, after a couple of hours driving my temperature had gone upto 35-40 degrees C and the pressure had gone upto 42psi. I also found that being in the sun made bugger all difference to the temperature of the tyres.

The sensors are of the internal variety, meaning your tyres will need to be stripped in order to install them. I don't have any pictures of this process as I took it to the local tyre place to fit them up. It cost me $140 to strip 5 tyres, install the sensors, balance and rotate the tyres and a wheel alignment, pretty cheap if you ask me!
            Now, from all accounts that I've heard, the internal sensors are more accurate than the external and as a bonus you don't have to worry about some kid coming and simply unscrewing them off your tyre. Battery is quoted to last between 5-7 years which means you don't really need to worry for a fair while!

The unit itself is pretty simple and very effective, smaller than a GPS unit and is powered by a 12V socket. It has a great colour LCD screen which is a lot clearer and visually appealing than all the other units out there I have personally seen. You can mount it using a base pad which comes with double sided tape, or alternatively utilise the vent clips, enabling it to be clipped onto one of your fan vents quite securely.

This particular one is able to monitor upto 27 tyres, more than enough for most of us here! I'm running 5 so in case I have to use the spare, I've still got all 4 running tyres monitored. The unit displays the following functions all at the same time:

- Tyre pressure
            - Tyre temperature
            - Signal strenth
            - Sensor battery level
            - Main battery voltage
            - Alerts for leaks, under-inflation/over-inflation and high temp
            - Audible warnings for the above

The unit scrolls through displaying one tyre at a time, for 10 seconds, unless there is an issue with that tyre in which case it will display for 15 seconds accompanied by audible beeps.

Although not the best picture, it gives you a good idea as to the layout of the unit. On the left is the pressure displayed digitally, with the circular bar graph above it displaying your tyre pressure as a percentage to what you have set as an 'ideal' pressure. The same goes for the right hand side, except that is set for temperature. The centre picture of the car shows you which tyre it is monitoring by having that tyre flash, battery strenth is to the above left of the 'car' and signal strength to the above right. Bottom left is where the warning indicators come up, and bottom right is your battery voltage.

Just the two buttons control all the functions and are very easy to use.
            I'll admit now I thought it was going to be an absolute pain in the behind when going off road and dropping your pressures. Obviously the unit will detect this as a leak and start beeping (which would drive you insane quite quickly). Upon going through the instructions and giving it a go, it only takes a maximum of 10 seconds to reset the tyres to a lower pressure. What about the spare though? It'd now be showing over inflated, but another 10 seconds (which you can do once and this setting will stay) and you can tell the unit to ignore the spare tyre for now, so no more beeping!

The manual itself is very well written and extremely easy to follow, with heaps of colour pictures to help you along the way.
            The 12V socket also seems to be of good quality and I'll shortly be opening mine up to hardwire the unit in, I've already got enough cables floating around the cabin!

I'm sure I've forgotten a few things, so ask here or cantact Matt.

Here's also a link to MickL's review of the same unit, he's got a few more pics for people to go off. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7760&p=107749&hilit=tpms+revie w&sid=3652163feaa9fac77ea5225e4137feab#p107749

Feel free to contact Matt at DigOptions:

Email: [email protected]
            PM: http://www.pradopoint.com/ucp.php?i=pm& ... ose&u=8471

Here's one last pic to give you an idea of size. Don't think I'll mount it here, still haven't decided!

<Rob> '12 Prado GX - https://www.pradopoint.com.au/forum/general/my-rig-build-up/32702-i-m-back-with-a-2012-150-gx-toorak-tractor

Comment

Mounted and hard wired the TPMS head unit today, also fitted the final two senors (I rotate through 6 tyres)

In the end the only location I was happy with was in the center console, this ment a couple of mods for the unit to fit.

First was cutting the mounting foot to suit/clear the gear stick boot, next I removed the USB style power socket and soldered the leads directly to the board and ran the cable through the back out of sight.

I also removed the antenna, re routed the cable and hot glued it to the back of the unit.

Mick

Comment

Re: TPMS Review - DigOptions

How'd you relocate the antenna? Did you open the actual unit up? Might look at doing the same thing... sounds like a good idea! Mounting position is also good...
                <Rob> '12 Prado GX - https://www.pradopoint.com.au/forum/general/my-rig-build-up/32702-i-m-back-with-a-2012-150-gx-toorak-tractor

Comment

How'd you relocate the antenna? Did you open the actual unit up?
                  Yes I had to open it up. The antenna has a short lead that is soldered on the board. You can either unsolder it and drill a new, small hole in the back, or if you dont fancy soldering; make a hole big enough to pass the connector through (after unscrewing the antenna).

I just used a hot glue gun and glued the antenna sideways in the groove where the aircon vent clips went.

Mick

Comment

Sweet, thanks for that Mick. Will no doubt open it up, I'm quite comfortable soldering so I might do exactly what you did!

Comment

Hi Guys,

I bought this exact unit but for 8 wheels a few years ago from http://www.zartronix.com , they have all the accessories as well.

I notice you guys are soldering on the antenna cable...they sell an antenna extension cable or its free depending on the kit you buy ! :lol:

It has been a great little unit, we monitor 4 vehicle tyres plus the spare. When we get away it monitors the campers 2 tyres plus spare. I bought the remote as its much easier than inflating and deflating tyres to learn the tyre posistions, especially if you get a flat & need to swap the tyres around. Can be hardwired easily so monitors your tyres 24/7. Has a great tow function to enable or disable the camper.

Cheers Zubey

Comment

Zubey,

You'll need to update your profile with your location.

Comment

Anyone know if Matt has a TPMS that works with the indash GPS unit they are also selling? Would be great to have this all intergrated into a single unit rather than two things to.
                          [COLOR=#000080]Nick[/COLOR]
                          [URL="http://pradopoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5308&sid=bcbebadd30673f1ac72047e6e8a93d79"]2006 TD GXL Evolution & Trips[/URL]
                          [URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Schaffer/prado][IMG]http://www.fuelly.com/smallsig-metric/45547.png[/IMG][/URL]
                          [img]http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Schaffer71/Avatar/CooperCreek.jpg[/img] [img]http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Schaffer71/Avatar/BendlebyRanges.jpg[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Schaffer
                            Anyone know if Matt has a TPMS that works with the indash GPS unit they are also selling? Would be great to have this all intergrated into a single unit rather than two things to.
                            Hi Nick,
                            Nice to hear from you. My apologies for the late reply. We road tested a few units from the same supplier as VMS which has the built in TPMS. Besides the point of not going ahead with this unit, from our research most 4WDers prefer the whole valve as opposed to the cap. Reason being it's far easier to inflate and deflate with the valve-type as opposed to the the cap-type (VMS and Caska/polaris type) which can also easily be ripped off when 4WDing. With the cap type you need to take the small lock tool and firstly unlock and then unscrew the cap before you can inflate/deflate. We are working to add this functionality to a premium unit however, we definately will not go down the sensor cap path.
                            I hope this makes sense.
                            Matt

Comment

Can we have an update on TPMS that are being tested / used by people here and input as to what brand they are using with good and bad points associated with that brand as I am not convinced that these TPMS are 100% as of yet. As a result I am holding back on buying one...
                              Winston.

White 2009 120 Series D4D GXL manual.

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                              mencisport.com
                              antalya escort
                              tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              gaziantep escort
                              gaziantep escort
                              asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                              erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort