Installing Usb outlets for 2nd and 3rd row areas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Usb outlets for 2nd and 3rd row areas

Just acquired a KDJ120 Grande. We got this to take over the touring/camping/towing duties from my tired HZJ80 and to replace the wifes old ford territory as a daily driver.

one of the things all vehicles lack in the modern age of electronic gadgetry is sufficient charging outlets for the rear spaces. With 3 rather argumentative kids who usually neglect to charge their devices ready for a trip and fight to no end over the (usually) 1 charging cord i want to provide them a point each.

i had a quick look at the prado yesterday morning and in the second row, i didn't see any places that jump out as a good spot to install a usb socket without sacrificing the good door trims, except for possibly the pointlessly included ashtrays in the door (seriously, who the f#%@ smokes in cars anyway) where i thought I could run a cable to the ashtray and fit a narva dual usb socket to just under the lid so it could be hidden from view with the lid shut. Any thoughts on this? The cente seat space is a little trickier as the air con controls are at the back of the centre console/ fridge.

The 3rd row is easier as there are pockets and such that can hold a usb socket. And the trim damage/alterations are never as concerning in the cargo spaces.

any space i decide to use I'd prefer that any cords and such could be quickly and easily put out of the way.

In the back of the console of our GXL with rear AC there is a pocket in the bottom below the AC controls. I fabricated a blank panel and fitted to it a pair of dual USB sockets that flush mount. These are wired in a heavy duty cable direct to the fuse box next to the steering column and fitted a piggy back fuse for protection.

Comment

Hi Solidute
      Nice pick up there with the Grande mate.
      I myself had fitted the Narva round dual USB 81134BL, to the rear of the center console in our 2003 GXL.
      However I had no A/C controls or cooler box to deal with.
      I like your idea of utilizing the ash trays in the doors.
      One of these also found its way into our front console, in a spare factory switch cut out.https://www.narva.com.au/products/63218BL and works great.
      Thinking that it would be a good fit for the ash trays also.
      Cheers mate going out to measure now.
      Troy
      SOUTH AUSTRALIA GATEWAY TO THE OUTBACK!
      2003 GXL V6 AUTO 120 CHAMPAGNE MICA [DUNE]
      LIST OF ACCESSORIES GROWING, WISH LIST SLOWLY DECLINING

Comment

2x post
        SOUTH AUSTRALIA GATEWAY TO THE OUTBACK!
        2003 GXL V6 AUTO 120 CHAMPAGNE MICA [DUNE]
        LIST OF ACCESSORIES GROWING, WISH LIST SLOWLY DECLINING

Comment

Working...