Announcement

Collapse

  
See more
See less

Oh dear - engine issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Oh dear - engine issue

    Did a drive up into the Brindies today - bit damp and cold but me and a mate had a good time. Did about 98 kms through lots of trails.

    On departing the Cotter River on an up hill climb on bitumen I noticed that the oil warning light was flashing at me. I had to drive about 1km to find a safe place to pull off the road. Shut down and opened up the bonnet.

    Nothing obvious - checked oil level. Fine. No excessive heat - no oil leaks. Restarted the engine and the light came on and there was a bit of clatter from the engine. Shut it down immediately. There was no loss of power and it cranked over fine. Thinking maybe a blocked screen.

    Ended up on the back of a truck to my favourite Pardo servicer (Gary Sheppard Auto in Queanbeyan).



    Not looking forward to the diagnosis tomorrow.
    Last edited by OldGreyFart; 13-05-2016, 04:20 PM.
    Terry
    Canberra
    2008 Prado 120 D4D and 2010 Jayco Swan Outback

  • #2
    These issues are quite serious.

    Did you let some butchers remove your injectors to check valve clearance.

    What year & Klm's & service history regarding injectors, including any r&r. ?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Chicken
      That's a bummer OGF. Hope the outcome is not too serious.
      I've been reading a fair bit recently on PP about problems with 120 diesels and I'm starting to wonder if I made the right decision when I bought my 2009 D4D brand new.
      Looking forward to your next update. Good luck...
      You sure did! Awesome vehicle.
      Just do the things that need to be done regarding egr & injectors.
      Don't let butchers do this work. Lots of examples of injector ports not being cleaned, also reusing the seats/sheets.
      Leads to big problems like above.
      The old problem was copper seats.
      The new problem is poor workmanship & practises.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Anth120playdo View Post
        Did you let some butchers remove your injectors to check valve clearance.

        What year & Klm's & service history regarding injectors, including any r&r. ?
        2008 120 GXL. Bought at 110,000 in 2013. Now currently 165000 km. Had injectors (Baileys Diesel) , major head job, timing belt, water pump done at 125000. Serviced every 5000 kms. I trust the guys implicitly at Gary Sheppard Auto in Queanbeyan.

        But who knows? I will find out Friday.
        Terry
        Canberra
        2008 Prado 120 D4D and 2010 Jayco Swan Outback

        Comment


        • #5
          Garage rang this morning - they are pretty sure it is a cracked piston. At this stage cause unknown. They will pull the engine down next week.
          Terry
          Canberra
          2008 Prado 120 D4D and 2010 Jayco Swan Outback

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by OldGreyFart View Post
            Garage rang this morning - they are pretty sure it is a cracked piston. At this stage cause unknown. They will pull the engine down next week.
            Sounds odd.

            Comment


            • #7
              That's a bugger OGF, particularly if you've been doing all the right things vis a vis maintenance and injectors.
              White 2008 Toyota Prado 120GXL - see here: [URL]http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?33659-Spike-s-120GXL-Build-Up[/URL]

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Chicken
                Thanks Anth, I love the encouragement.
                I must say that to date, I am really impressed and pleased with the vehicle. Only just done 90,000 kms. I know that's a bit low but we have been stuck on a poultry farm for the past 13 years and we are breaking free at the end of the year, hoot hoot.
                I have been reading your threads about diesel maintenance and to replace the injectors at 120,000 so maybe I should start thinking about that. Would you recommend Toyota to do this or are some of them butchers as you say?
                I have been looking after Prados & Hiluxes over 10 years & I have never had one I have serviced or worked on have a cracked piston. I have owned them & still do, I'm very confident.

                These days it's about all I do, injectors, egr, Scv, etc. I do see a lot of problems from other workshops.
                I don't recommend Toyota or anywhere, because I have seen & heard it all. But you could find a good one?
                People thinking they have got the gun techs on the job & turned out wrong.
                You don't get your local mechanic to rebuild your auto trans, this CRD Injector job is a bit like that, you need to find a CRD or 1kd guru to do it, preferably 1 man show, like all the best mechanics. Consistency.
                Yes start thinking about it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Anth120playdo View Post
                  I have been looking after Prados & Hiluxes over 10 years & I have never had one I have serviced or worked on have a cracked piston. I have owned them & still do, I'm very confident.

                  These days it's about all I do, injectors, egr, Scv, etc. I do see a lot of problems from other workshops.
                  I don't recommend Toyota or anywhere, because I have seen & heard it all. But you could find a good one?
                  People thinking they have got the gun techs on the job & turned out wrong.
                  You don't get your local mechanic to rebuild your auto trans, this CRD Injector job is a bit like that, you need to find a CRD or 1kd guru to do it, preferably 1 man show, like all the best mechanics. Consistency.
                  Yes start thinking about it.
                  Could not agree more! people that are small business and 1 man shows always care more because there next job is only as god as there last and word of mouth counts.
                  Arb colour code deluxe bar, safari snorkel, lightforce venom HID's, GME uhf remote face, redarc tow pro, redarc bcdc 1240, pioneer platform, 40" curved light bar, dual battery, 3" SS exhaust, EGR mod, trans cooler upgrade, provent catch can, scangauge 2, diesel care secondary fuel filter, Tin's bash plates and actuator gaurd, 2in Bilstien and kings lift,

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Who's to say the piston wasn't damaged before the injector change-out and finally gave up on the drive. How many other D4Ds, who had sump screen blockage cleaned and replacement seals fitted to injectors also do not have piston/ring/bore/bearing damage from lack of lubrication. Time will tell.
                    Dave
                    Views expressed are mine alone and are not intended to compromise the integrity of my employer nor offend those who may read such views.
                    Bugger Bali, get out and see Australia before we sell it all to China.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Anth120playdo View Post
                      You sure did! Awesome vehicle.
                      Just do the things that need to be done regarding egr & injectors.
                      Don't let butchers do this work. Lots of examples of injector ports not being cleaned, also reusing the seats/sheets.
                      Leads to big problems like above.
                      The old problem was copper seats.
                      The new problem is poor workmanship & practises.
                      Agree with Anth. Since my D for Detonation @ 73K I have been doing all the maintenance, including injector change out at 118K, and with regular monitoring via techstream the car has performed extremely well given where it has been and what demands I put on it.
                      Dave
                      Views expressed are mine alone and are not intended to compromise the integrity of my employer nor offend those who may read such views.
                      Bugger Bali, get out and see Australia before we sell it all to China.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Baileys injectors failed?
                        2008 GXL D4D + Option Pack 1, Safari snorkel, factory alloy bar, dual battery system, Lovells TFR-118/TRR119 Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Prodigy P3 brake controller, factory tow bar, Orac coupling.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          OGF, hope you get it all sorted mate .

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Bushbasher View Post
                            Who's to say the piston wasn't damaged before the injector change-out and finally gave up on the drive. How many other D4Ds, who had sump screen blockage cleaned and replacement seals fitted to injectors also do not have piston/ring/bore/bearing damage from lack of lubrication. Time will tell.
                            True, but I think the point here is the description of oil light flickering is a separate problem to a cracked piston.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Looking more like the 'traditional' blocked oil pick up, oil starvation failed big end bearing story.

                              After consulting with #######, have discussed with GSM and they will first check the pick up and photograph, remove injectors and wipe down and photograph and then inspect and photograph the seats. Need to establish the cause because it may become a Bailey's warranty claim.

                              On reflection I had notice the occasional 10 second cloud of smoke on start up - quite light but no noticeable rattle.

                              Just checked my service history. Normally serviced every 5000 kms. During a big trip last year over 2 months did a 6500 km service in Darwin but left the next one till I got home and it was about at 8000. Last one I let it go 10000 - that is at 160,000. Just turned over 165,400 and was due for service when it failed. Injectors were replaced at 124,906 in August 2014. BDG warranty says 24 moths and 40,000 = 164,906 that is I am about 600 kms over!!

                              This should be interesting.

                              I will post pics and keep PPers in the loop.
                              Last edited by OldGreyFart; 16-05-2016, 04:41 PM.
                              Terry
                              Canberra
                              2008 Prado 120 D4D and 2010 Jayco Swan Outback

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X