Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anth120playdo View Post

More tech tips:
    You should clean the MAF sensor when changing the air filter.

More often when in dusty conditions.

Whenever you have a symptom, check the basics, like blowing black smoke, or using too much fuel, even rattles to name a few. Could be the cause or a contributor.

The MAF is on the clean side of the air box, so how can it get dirty?
    They do, so look after your filters.
    One other tip, I use grease on the seal on off-roaders. It definately reduces dust.

Cleaning the MAF:

Carefully unplug, don't pull the wires.
    Remove 2x Phillips screws. Put aside.
    Carefully withdraw the maf from the box & inspect.
    One is the air intake sensor you can easily see & other hot wires are hidden. Shine a light & you will see.
    Don't let anything touch them.

Toyota procedure is to use only compressed air to blow clean.
    We use crc brand maf cleaner, do not use other products. Do not let anything touch the sensors wires.
    Once done, as per directions on can, blow dry with compressed air.

Wipe out the hole on the air box.
    Put a tiny bit of Lube on it.
    Check the o-ring on the maf looks ok, if not replace.
    It should easily slip into the box if you have lubed it nicely.
    Put 2 screws back, just nip them don't be heavy handed & pull the plastic threads out.
    Plug in, your done.

Share it like it, because it's simple & important maintenance that many techs don't do.

Best to have correct signals getting sent to computer.

Cheers,

Anth.
    Can you add the oring size and TOYO dont sell them.

Comment

Mine went on my V6. The local mechanic had a box of O rings from which to choose. Cost next to nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by davo94 View Post
        Can you add the oring size and TOYO dont sell them.
        Don't know the size. But best not to break them :-)
        Sorry.

Comment

Check & clean your map filter

More tech tips:

Clean and inspect your map filter.

As pictured.
          The part number is included.

If you see oil running down, it may be cracked. Naturally replace it.

If it looks ok spray carby cleaner through it, till it flows clean, then blow dry with compressed air.

It's important this is clean & not leaking so the correct signals are sent to the computer.

If you notice increased fuel use or it's a bit slow or sluggish to boost, this may be your issue or a contributor.

Often not checked in standard service centers.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Anth.

Comment

Hi all,

my O - ring on the maf sensor is broken. Phoned Toyota who do not sell as a part, and only have the whole unit at a couple hundred bucks.

Presume I will need to take it in and match it up at a parts supplier (Cov's or Veale's here in WA) ,before I do has any else needed to buy one and if see where did you source it from.

Thank you

Mark
            2009 GXL D4D - Auto

Comment

Originally posted by Mark120 View Post
              Hi all,

my O - ring on the maf sensor is broken. Phoned Toyota who do not sell as a part, and only have the whole unit at a couple hundred bucks.

Presume I will need to take it in and match it up at a parts supplier (Cov's or Veale's here in WA) ,before I do has any else needed to buy one and if see where did you source it from.

Thank you

Mark
              Its an O ring.. Any O ring supplier, CBS etc will have something..

Comment

Originally posted by Piggy View Post

Its an O ring.. Any O ring supplier, CBS etc will have something..
                I know itís an O ring I was asking if any one has actually replaced one and where they got it from.

You would think any O ring supplier would be able to match it, 5 stores this arvo and no one had one. They are thinner than standard rings so will keep on looking.
                2009 GXL D4D - Auto

Comment

CBS has them, Partouq, Toyota, Amayama. https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/9009914141 Same as Subaru ones too. plenty available around Aust.

Comment

Got an O ring from Toyota parts department for the MAF sensor when I first started cleaning the unit some moons ago. Just a precaution looking at how thin it is, however the original is still going strong.
                    1GRFE Engine, but my point is the availability from Toyota parts if you deal with an interpreter that knows thier stuff.
                    cheers
                    Troy
                    SOUTH AUSTRALIA GATEWAY TO THE OUTBACK!
                    2003 GXL V6 AUTO 120 CHAMPAGNE MICA [DUNE]
                    LIST OF ACCESSORIES GROWING, WISH LIST SLOWLY DECLINING

Comment

Nice work mate
                      11/06 kdj120 gx wide body auto

Comment

I come across this thread and took a look at my vacuum filter. As Anth noted it was cracked so I ordered a new one. While I waited for the part to arrive, I cleaned the old one and used nail polish (not my own lol) to seal the cracks. I noticed straight up more low down power, better torque and quicker response from the motor. I'm not talking a huge improvement, it was supple but noticeable. Note my vehicle is 9 years old (147,000 km) and noticed it was getting a bit doughy in the last few years. Next week ill be checking the throttle body for carbon build up.
                        Silver 120 Series Diesel GXL 2009 with Option Pack 2, king Springs 2" Lift with 'H' front spring, MT ATZ 4-RIB, Dual Battery, Deluxe ARB Bull-bar, Winch, Towbar, Anderson 50 amp plug at the rear, Weather Shields, Bonnet and Head Light Protectors, Rubber Mats inc Cargo mat, UHF Ariel, Portable Uniden UHF plugs into areal, On-board ARB Compressor, Brains Black Box TG150 Protector, Rear Black Duck Seat Covers.

Comment

Working...
                        X