• Show
Clear All
    OutbackJock
    Lurker

• OutbackJock
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonW View Post
    Success!
    Got mine replaced today for $0.00, (5yrs, 10months after initial purchase).
    Good outcome, but it was no more of an outcome than I was entitled to under Australian Consumer Law (ACL).
    For those stuck with an MY14 Toyota with a failed audio unit displaying the perpetual rebooting screen here are my research notes that may help you out:
    • The unit was built by Fujitsu –Ten that has since been absorbed by the Denso group;
    • There appears to be many reported failings from around the World, all with the same symptoms of the “continuous reboot screen”;
    • There is a lot of talk about this online, particularly on North American Rav4 and Corolla forums from 2015 onwards;
    • The defect is a hardware issue, potentially a “defective CPU on the circuit-board”;
    • The defect is known to Toyota Australia and they are replacing them outside of the warranty period;
    • Toyota are replacing them outside of the warranty period because they are good guys/girls….NOT!!!
    • Toyota are replacing them because they fail the “acceptable quality” guarantee provided to Australian consumers under the ACL. It is what the Law compels them to do!
    • The remedy of a minor failure under the ACL MUST be provided free of charge, and within a reasonable time-frame;
    • Guidelines warn dealers not to use terms like “goodwill” when referring to fixing these problems outside of warranty because that is implying that you DO NOT have rights under the Law and it is illegal for them to suggest this to you;
    • The problem with these MY14 audio units has proven to be so widespread that you could make the case that each, and every, unit imported by TMCA, and sold by the dealers, suffers the same latent defect;
    • How long it takes this defect to become apparent may not be relevant under ACL if you can make the case that the vehicle was imported/sold with the defect;
    • If you are reading this in 2025 and your MY14 Toyota audio unit has just failed with the continuous reboot screen then this is not a matter of chance, this is the surfacing of a latent defect that has been carried by your audio unit for over a decade; Take action, seek your remedy!
    • Not applicable to me, but from what I can see the ACL consumer guarantee protects subsequent owners, not merely first owners (unless the vehicle is purchased at auction);

When you talk to your dealer don’t pussy-foot around. You’ve done your research, you know the issue, you know your ACL rights.

It may go something like this:
    PP: “Hi, I’d like to submit a warranty claim with Toyota Australia”
    Dealer: ”No problem sir……... err actually, it looks like you are outside of your warranty period”
    PP: ”Yes I know that. To be more specific, I would like to seek a remedy under the consumer guarantee provisions of the Australian Consumer Law, through Toyota's warranty claim system”.
    Dealer: “OK, what is the issue?”
    PP: “My MY14 Prado audio unit in a continuous reboot loop”
    Dealer: “yes, understand…..we’ll contact TMCA and get back to you”
    {1 week later}
    Dealer: ”Hi Toyota have agreed to supply a new unit free of charge, we will require $50 to fit it you, would you like us to order the unit?”
    PP: ”Yes order the unit please, but since this work constitutes a remedy under the ACL it MUST be provided completely free of charge. That is what I would like to happen”
    Dealer: “Oh, I’ll have to talk to my manager……..Hi there, we will install the unit free of charge, see you next week”
    PP: “Thank-you”

Please post if you have a win!
    I have just had the exact same issue and tried this approach (via a Melbourne dealer) but the response from Toyota Australia ("Guest Experience Centre") was a flat 'NO' because they said that "the issue with your Vehicle is not considered to be a defect as it is a maintenance item not covered by warranty and reasonably expected to be required due to the age and mileage of your Vehicle."

It seems like there is no consistency from one case to another and Toyota Australia can act with complete impunity. It feels like I'm being fobbed off without any form of recourse.

Any ideas what I can do? Is Consumer Affairs Victoria likely to be interested / helpful?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by JenB View Post
    Thank you everyone for this information I am glad I found the forum.

My car battery died about a month ago, RAC came out and replaced it said it was the original from 2014, RAC knew about the reboot problem and kept power during the swap but it has still gone into the reboot system.

I went into Toyota Wangara (WA) and they took photos and said they would contact Toyota Australia to request the out of warranty replacement...They didn't and just told me the next day it would not be replaced. I have now contacted Toyota Australia myself and they have come back saying that TMCA will not replace the unit.

Is there any one in WA that has had this issue and had success in having TMCA replace the unit?

Any help would be greatly appriciated
    RAC are therefore liable.

Leave a comment:

• JenB
    Moderated member

• JenB
    replied
    Thank you everyone for this information I am glad I found the forum.

My car battery died about a month ago, RAC came out and replaced it said it was the original from 2014, RAC knew about the reboot problem and kept power during the swap but it has still gone into the reboot system.

I went into Toyota Wangara (WA) and they took photos and said they would contact Toyota Australia to request the out of warranty replacement...They didn't and just told me the next day it would not be replaced. I have now contacted Toyota Australia myself and they have come back saying that TMCA will not replace the unit.

Is there any one in WA that has had this issue and had success in having TMCA replace the unit?

Any help would be greatly appriciated

Leave a comment:

• Audiobuzz

• Audiobuzz
    replied
    Ive had the dealer that I bought the car from refuse to even lodge a claim with Toyota Australia. They flat out lied to me initially telling me that they had lodged a claim and it was refused but when i pushed them for a reference number for the claim they admitted that they hadn't actually contacted them and they had made the decision locally. Flat out disgusting and I'll be contacting their management. They've lost a future customer as I'll be buying my next prado from a different dealer.

Leave a comment:

• LolsBoy
    replied
    I have today had the Radio/Nav System in my 2014 GXL Prado replaced (Continuous reboot situation). I was originally quoted $600+ for parts and labour costs on top. I took the issue up to the management of the dealership rather than the "service department". I was able to persuade dealership management that the problem that I had was common to my vehicle. The service department knew of the problem as well. The vehicle was purchased NEW from my local dealership in 2014. I was also able to inform them through the information on this forum that MANY cars have had systems replaced at NO cost in out of warranty situations. They therefore agreed to replace same at NO cost to myself.

The issue that instigated my reboot problem was changing the battery. The first time this happened in 2017 the 12v supply to the car was maintained during the swap over process. No requirement to engage a radio reboot. I would therefore suggest if you own a 2014 Prado and you need to replace the battery; try to ensure that power is maintained in the swap over process. You MAY avoid a reboot and also a dispute with your Prado supplier.

Cheers all, and many thanks for the information provided via this Forum.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I would likely suggest accepting it. not too bad a price in reality fitted. The car is a number of years out of warranty. They could refuse to keep the offer if you push.

Leave a comment:

• prado2r
    replied
    Toyota Australia have agreed to cover half the cost of the part, so $803 to supply and fit a new unit. Not sure if should accept this or lodge a dispute? Does anyone have any experience lately with a positive outcome?

Leave a comment:

• prado2r
    replied
    Hi All,

My 2014 facelift Kakadu has just started to continuously reboot. Have been into my local dealer to report and said that others have had them replaced by Toyota Australia. Of course I got the "I doubt it very much, forums can say anything doesn't mean its true haha!"

Thanks to everyone who has shared the experience on this issue, gave me the confidence to go in and ask and not leave till they agreed to contact Toyota Australia

Will let you know how I go

Leave a comment:

• HTH6066
    replied
    Thank you SimonW, I have a 2015 GXL, have booked our family car in for an inspection. will update with progress

Leave a comment:

• SimonW

• SimonW
    replied
    Well done Dex. I'm glad that you had a win, especially considering the twist of purchasing at auction.

I presume that when dealers charge labour on these remedies it is a cheeky double dip on their behalf. Toyota Australia has paid them an allowance to do the work but they then try to lever a little more money from the punter too.

Not a lawyer here but I suspect that an obligation of the dealership (under ACL) is to correct the issue to the satisfaction of the punter. If the dealer makes an offer to fix the problem that includes a payment to them, then the acceptance of that offer by the punter implies that the punter is satisfied and the dealer has therefore fully executed their obligation.

Ultimately the punter can choose to accept an offer that includes labour fees, or they can insist on what is their right under Law ie for a Consumer Guarantee remedy to be provided free of charge and within a reasonable timeframe.

It gets up my nose when dealers are cheeky like this. I'd encourage everyone to stick up for their own rights.

Leave a comment:

• Dex

• Dex
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonW View Post
    Success!
    Good outcome, but it was no more of an outcome than I was entitled to under Australian Consumer Law (ACL).
    For those stuck with an MY14 Toyota with a failed audio unit displaying the perpetual rebooting screen here are my research notes that may help you out:
    • The unit was built by Fujitsu –Ten that has since been absorbed by the Denso group;
    • There appears to be many reported failings from around the World, all with the same symptoms of the “continuous reboot screen”;
    • There is a lot of talk about this online, particularly on North American Rav4 and Corolla forums from 2015 onwards;
    • The defect is a hardware issue, potentially a “defective CPU on the circuit-board”;
    • The defect is known to Toyota Australia and they are replacing them outside of the warranty period;
    • Toyota are replacing them outside of the warranty period because they are good guys/girls….NOT!!!
    • Toyota are replacing them because they fail the “acceptable quality” guarantee provided to Australian consumers under the ACL. It is what the Law compels them to do!
    • The remedy of a minor failure under the ACL MUST be provided free of charge, and within a reasonable time-frame;
    • Guidelines warn dealers not to use terms like “goodwill” when referring to fixing these problems outside of warranty because that is implying that you DO NOT have rights under the Law and it is illegal for them to suggest this to you;
    • The problem with these MY14 audio units has proven to be so widespread that you could make the case that each, and every, unit imported by TMCA, and sold by the dealers, suffers the same latent defect;
    • How long it takes this defect to become apparent may not be relevant under ACL if you can make the case that the vehicle was imported/sold with the defect;
    • If you are reading this in 2025 and your MY14 Toyota audio unit has just failed with the continuous reboot screen then this is not a matter of chance, this is the surfacing of a latent defect that has been carried by your audio unit for over a decade; Take action, seek your remedy!
    • Not applicable to me, but from what I can see the ACL consumer guarantee protects subsequent owners, not merely first owners (unless the vehicle is purchased at auction);

When you talk to your dealer don’t pussy-foot around. You’ve done your research, you know the issue, you know your ACL rights.

Dealer: ”No problem sir……... err actually, it looks like you are outside of your warranty period”
    PP: ”Yes I know that. To be more specific, I would like to seek a remedy under the consumer guarantee provisions of the Australian Consumer Law, through Toyota's warranty claim system”.
    {1 week later}
    Dealer: ”Hi Toyota have agreed to supply a new unit free of charge, we will require $50 to fit it you, would you like us to order the unit?”
    PP: ”Yes order the unit please, but since this work constitutes a remedy under the ACL it MUST be provided completely free of charge. That is what I would like to happen”
    Dealer: “Oh, I’ll have to talk to my manager……..Hi there, we will install the unit free of charge, see you next week”

Thanks for this detailed information.

I also had the issue with the unit being stuck in an infinite reboot loop in my MY14 Prado.

Happy to report that Toyota covered the replacement unit without any discussions and they had it ready to install within 10 days. They did charge me for labour though. I didn't push back on it because I did in fact purchase the car from Pickles so there is a chance the usual consumer protections do not apply in my case.

But for anyone else not in this situation, I fully agree you should get them to cover labour as well.

If for whatever reason you can't get Toyota to play ball, during my research I came across this mob which is most likely cheaper than paying full price at Toyota:
    https://electronicrepairs.com.au/ind...m/toyota-prado

They quoted me $495 + $44 return freight.

Leave a comment:

• brassjc
    replied
    Hey guys, update from me. Seems my unit went dead due to bad rear connection. If I go over a considerable bump the head unit either turns off or restarts. After I observed this, I can pretty much make it die or restart by going over a speed bump. So that’s mine solved.

I’m completely underwhelmed with the functionality of the stock unit anyway so am looking for an upgrade. I find it really hard to see the screen, particularly when reversing.

Keen for any suggestions, hoping for navigation and better iPhone functionality eg carplay

Leave a comment:

• SimonW

• SimonW
    replied
    Success!

{1 week later}

Leave a comment:

• SimonW

• SimonW
    replied
    #metoo.
    Happened today.
    Bugger!
    2014 GXL Facelift.
    I knew it was coming. Reverse camera was staying on for longer and longer after Drive was selected.
    I see above that Ausbass had some luck with Toyota Australia. I'll give it a shot.
    SimonW
    Last edited by SimonW; 16-01-2020, 09:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Elsmicko
    Lurker

• Elsmicko
    replied
    Newby here! Thanks for having me. I changed a failing battery yesterday and I too now have the constantly rebooting screen on my 2014 GXL. First time something as dumb as this has happened to me after owning 5 Toyota 4WD’s, the last three being Prados! Surely this isn’t cause for replacement of the whole head unit! Sounds like a cop out by Toyota here....

Leave a comment:

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
mencisport.com
antalya escort
tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
deneme bonusu veren siteler
gaziantep escort
gaziantep escort
asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
atasehir escort tuzla escort
sikis sex hatti