No announcement yet.

Sluggish acceleration, gear changes with abs and trc lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bit the bullet tonight and managed to get it out with a centre punch.
    MAF didn't look that dirty when I got it out, but I cleaned it and popped it back in. Didn't reset the ECU, because I don't want to mess up the way the abs and traction control are switched off at the moment.
    I noticed some folks mentioned an o-ring. Seems to have disappeared on mine (issue?).
    I screwed the MAF back in (and unscrewed again with the centre punch ) and took it for a quick spin around the block. It might need some more time to settle in but I can't see a massive difference. Maybe a bit more responsive (it revved quick the one time I floored it) but still slow on the gear changes. Dunno how essential the ECU reset is. Get it done once the mechanic sees it. Not driving it at the moment anyway.
    Reckon I've hit my mechanical limit for now. In a few pay days I'll take it to a mechanic and get the abs and tranny and throttle issues looked at and get some proper all terrains on it.
    Before:
    https://i.postimg.cc/Hs3JvK81/IMG-20200117-174107.jpg
    After:
    https://i.postimg.cc/4xpHXdmV/IMG-20200117-174551.jpg

Comment

Good you got it out in the end. Don't recall mine having an O ring but was not looking out for it. Hopefully your mechanic can sort out the gear change timing. Good luck hopefully it's not too much money at the mechanics.

Comment

Yeah I hope it's not too much money too. Just ordered some more of those screws (part number 9331914010 if anyone's looking). Thanks again for being super helpful guys. I'll update in a couple weeks once I get the diagnoses and the bill

Comment

Tho o ring looks okay to me. It is the large one at the top of the MAF unit body.
          The ECU reset will not muck anything up, if the sensors are in fault it’ll just recognise them again.
          Jim

Comment

I've cleaned mine and it made no difference, it's still gutless on hill climbs. I've replaced and gone through everything. Around town it's great, fuel economy is good just got no go when it strikes hills. Apparently that is quite common among the V6s.

Comment

Yeah, mine is certainly very gutless on hill climbs! Haven't really hit a proper climb in it yet (quite flat where I am now) but the one steepish hill I've attacked in it, it barely crawled up at 40kmh,a that was the one time it smelt a bit too. Subsequently did outback speeds and overtaking easy, just slow on the throttle. Will update in a couple of weeks once I find out what the problem is.

Comment

Are you sure this isn't due to gear selection as opposed to engine performance? Is there any difference in ECT PWR mode, or if you turn OD off? Not a permanent solution of course.

There is a transmission cable from the throttle to control 'fluid pressure'. Some call this a kickdown cable but I have seen various opinions on if that's its true function. Perhaps this is out of adjustment?

Like I said the other thing I had done along with the MAF clean was a tranny service. Maybe it's worth getting this done. You need to find an old school transmission guy though who knows what cable controlled throttles are.

Certainly after getting mine done it has improved a lot. I can now get up hills. No sports car for sure especially with a trailer but it will at least accelerate slowly up them and doesn't drop like a sack of ssss.

Comment

Did you give the hot wire inside the MAF a good spray and rinse? It is possible to read the trouble codes by bridging two pins in the OBD-M connector, I can't remember which two but should not be too hard to find out. The transmission cable is a simple adjustment to assist with kick down however from your description I think it is more a engine issue than a trans issue. I would be checking the intake system to ensure no leaks especially the IAC & associated piping.

To confirm it is or isn't the trans have you tried manually selecting a lower gear when accelerating?

Lee
                  02 VX, Toyota Alloy Bar, IPF 900XS with 50 watt HID, 50 mm Lift- Lovell Shocks n Springs, Safari Snorkel, large Pioneer tray, Pioneer In-dash, Alpine roof mount DVD screen -handled the Simpson and Innaminka roads, now with a little TRD blower & Unichip

Comment

You guys make good points. I don't think it's just the trans because the slowness isn't just related to gear changes. The delay in acceleration after pressing the pedal is beyond any other car I've driven, and happens even when I wouldn't expect a gear change. Overtaking at highway speeds in my Dad's Tarago you'll get acceleration as soon as you press the pedal and not necessarily a kickdown within sensible limits. In the Prado though, you've basically gotta hit the floor 4 or 5 seconds before you want to start speeding up, then wait... kickdown, lurch and power. You can be driving highway sometimes and gradually start depressing the pedal until you've pushed it quite a way and there'll be no difference (power, revs) at all. That all makes me hope it's something to do with the throttle sensor or something. If I find time might try to figure out how to have a look at that myself too.
                    I gave the MAF a good clean. Still waiting for the replacement screw to turn up out here and then I'll give it a test drive, and mess around with the OD and lower gears; will report back.
                    I'll do my best to find a good mechanic out here (I'm out back) - have already got an eye on a bloke who's been recommended to me by multiple independent people here. Hopefully he knows his trans. Will visit him in a week or two.
                    Cheers all.

Comment

Working...
                    X