No announcement yet.

Petrol or Diesel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok, so im going for the Petrol V6, now i have found 1 i like, its modded with the usual fruit, uhf, ARB bull bar, snorkel and considerable suspension mods.
    3 inch, springs shocks and control arms, its a 2004 so only 4 speed auto, but haven't seen it in person yet.

Comment

3" is a big lift for a prado. Id suggest talking to Whitey about the suspension mods before buying it. He is local in BNE.

Comment

Originally posted by Piggy View Post
        3" is a big lift for a prado. Id suggest talking to Whitey about the suspension mods before buying it. He is local in BNE.
        how do i get in contact with whitey?

Comment

Originally posted by Piggy View Post
          Go to just under pradopoint logo in one of the toolbars.
          Forum Actions> General Settings > Thread Display options > Set thread cutoff to a longer period.

This is most likely the issue.
          thats got it sorted, thanks piggy

Comment

Originally posted by Whitey View Post
            Hey Maty,

A second hand petrol is definitely cheaper than a diesel.

For a running cost comparison that includes the service schedule and at least x1 injector change for the diesel, have a read of this;

http://www.pradopoint.com.au/showthr...ost-comparison

Post #139 on the final page shows the average savings/year vs fuel economy.

Power and Torque for 1GR-FE vs 1KD-FTV;

In terms of reliability, read this thread on the problems with diesel injector seats;

http://www.pradopoint.com.au/showthr...-seats-Egr-Scv

Every bit of information you want is in the above.

Your last question about reliability: aside from potential oil leaks, the 1GR-FE is a very reliable engine that is low maintenance. The 1KD-FTV is a high maintenance engine that can be problematic and turn into an expensive rebuild if not carefully maintained and injector values/oil pickup/egr monitored carefully. The 1KD does not go well with chip upgrades and the pistons are on the weaker rather than stronger side. Conversely, the 1GR can be supercharged with a bolt on supercharger/exhaust kit, with to date no reported issues.

Hope this helps!

Best

Mark
            Whitey, what advice have you got for me regarding 3 inch loft in a v6? as far as i know its ome shocks with superior springs and control arms.

Comment

Hey,

The 1GR-FE timing cover leak was in 04-08 vehicles;
              http://www.pradopoint.com.au/showthr...IY-fix-at-home
              It was also common to see blown head gaskets around #6 cylinder in early 04 models.

The timing cover leak is probably one of the most common oil leaks to keep an eye out for on the 1GR-FE, more of an annoyance than anything major.
              Best
              Mark
              Whitey is spot on. You can notice evidence of this leak if you look at the timing cover/rocker cover area just behind the Power steering pump on a V6. It may appear a bit oil damp and dirty.

Mine appeared at 200,000 kms. It is there and sometimes after a hard run you will smell a small bit on exhaust. However it uses less than 100ml of oil between 10k services. So its not a big leak.

It was cuased by a casting mark flaw in the timing cover, the sealant wears out between 150-250k kms and it leaks, some do some dont.
              Its a bit of work to fix it, if you can be bothered TBH. Its not that big a deal. It was corrected in 2008 vehicles with a revised casting of timing covers.

Comment

I've just got a 2006 petrol manual 6 speed. Love driving it. More kw than a 4.5 petrol cruiser or a 4.5 v8 diesel. Smooth,responsive and comfortable.
                I'm off diesels though as I've been burnt twice bad.

Comment

Only just noticed - What happend to the extra 1KD torques Mark?!
                  The killerwasps look about right but torque should be up around 403 from memory.
                  Cheers
                  Micheal.

2008 GXL D4D Auto. GOING... GOING... GONE
                  2015 GXL 1GD Auto. And it begins again...

Comment

Originally posted by 120D4D View Post
                    The killerwasps look about right but torque should be up around 403 from memory.
                    Hey Michael,

I plotted these curves in my own software from internet plots of the power/torque curves that I had in my old notes. I just interpolated off the internet plots.

To check the accuracy of my interpolation and if the torque curve actually corresponds correctly with the power curve, I just did the old fashioned calculation;

Power = (torquex2xpixrpm)/60

My calculated power curves are given as the dashed lines below, so the 1KD torque curve I had was pretty accurate, but the 1GR curve was slightly out, see below;

This appears even more confusing if you read the official blurb on Toyota sites;

https://www.toyota-gib.com/eng/vehic...s/engines.html

None of the maximum power or torque figures match the dyno plots presented for both the 1KD and the 1GR.

The maximum torque quoted on that Toyota website is 343Nm, which matches the Euro-IV compliant dyno data I have for non 5 speed transmission. The 5-speed automatic transmission has max of 360Nm as in the plots above.

I'm guessing the data I have shown is for Euro IV spec 120. In any case, the torque curve definitely reproduces the power curve for the 1KD.

I know the Wiki also mentions different torque for different markets;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_KD_engine

On that basis I'm guessing the Toyota website I linked to above has quoted 343Nm max for the Euro IV compliant 120, but shown the dyno data for the Australian market?

Sorry I haven't investigated much more than this, but if someone can definitely throw up a link to the engine flywheel power/torque curves for the Oz spec 1KD, I'll happily plot it up!

Best

Mark
                    2006 GXL petrol auto. ARB deluxe bar x3 HID IPF's, ARB alloy roofrack, ARB awning, BFG A/T, Safari snorkel, Piranha breathers, Pacemaker extractors, custom Ironman 45710FE 436-569mm with Dobinsons 350, custom Ironman 45682FE 383-618mm with Dobinsons 487, Firestone kevlar 60psi airbags, 30mm extended Roadsafe links, AMTS bashplate and recovery points, ABR Flyer with Powersonic AGM.

Comment

410nm

Comment

I think your calcs are not based on the Oz spec model and the lazy in my just googled the 1KD specs and up comes this chart - seems to line up with the owners manual.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1790-1kd.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	656074

I'd like to see the chart redone with the 410nm curve for comparison purposes.
                        Last edited by 120D4D; 20-05-2017, 08:00 PM.
                        Cheers
                        Micheal.

2008 GXL D4D Auto. GOING... GOING... GONE
                        2015 GXL 1GD Auto. And it begins again...

Comment

I think your calcs are not based on the Oz spec model and the lazy in my just googled the 1KD specs and up comes this chart - seems to line up with the owners manual.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25428[/ATTACH]

I'd like to see the chart redone with the 410nm curve for comparison purposes.
                          Hey,

This is the same image I discussed in the url link in post #24. Toyota states maximum of 343Nm and then has a plot with around 400Nm in it.

What is correct? Where is there a reliable source of information stating that the Australian model 1KD has around 400Nm of torque?

Happy to redo the plot when I see that!

Best

Mark
                          2006 GXL petrol auto. ARB deluxe bar x3 HID IPF's, ARB alloy roofrack, ARB awning, BFG A/T, Safari snorkel, Piranha breathers, Pacemaker extractors, custom Ironman 45710FE 436-569mm with Dobinsons 350, custom Ironman 45682FE 383-618mm with Dobinsons 487, Firestone kevlar 60psi airbags, 30mm extended Roadsafe links, AMTS bashplate and recovery points, ABR Flyer with Powersonic AGM.

Comment

Hey,

This is the same image I discussed in the url link in post #24. Toyota states maximum of 343Nm and then has a plot with around 400Nm in it.

What is correct? Where is there a reliable source of information stating that the Australian model 1KD has around 400Nm of torque?

Happy to redo the plot when I see that!

Best

Mark
                            It's 410nm

Not a peek either, from memory a nice flat line comes in by about 1600-2800 rpm
                            343 is a Hilux, 1400-3400rpm, less but more range.
                            Last edited by Anth120playdo; 20-05-2017, 10:13 PM.

Comment

From a Toyota page

"Pulling Power

Torque is what pushes you up rocky inclines and gets you out of holes. It's also what gives you the pulling power you need to carry or tow heavier loads. And the Prado is very big on torque.

And despite turning out 130kW of sheer direct-injected power, the diesel engine is also more fuel efficient than its V6 counterpart, enabling you to travel approximately 1700km per tank-full for the five door with an auto transmission and slightly further with a manual[J9]."

Love the drive of the torquey diesel turbo.

Comment

I think you are using the numbers from the Hilux engines. This site has good information.
                                http://australiancar.reviews/1KD-FTV-engine.php
                                http://australiancar.reviews/1GR-FE-engine.php

I did something similar last year with some numbers I found.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	Engines1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	656075

Comment

Working...
                                X