Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a 2014 Prado VX 3.0L with 152,000 km safe from the injector problem?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a 2014 Prado VX 3.0L with 152,000 km safe from the injector problem?

You are probably sick of these questions, but I like the car and am worried that the model is not new enough to avoid the problem. I am buying it from a Toyota dealer and the salesperson says that if it is after 2012 then it won't have a problem. (I will check the maintenance history as well.)

If it is vulnerable to that problem, what model is safe?

Or is the probability of the failure low enough to ignore?

I am buying it so I can stop using my range rover sport in the high country - I therefore need it to be reliable.

Thanks for your help!

As far as I know the final upgrades including stronger or at least redesigned pistons didnt become 100% used until Jan 2013. Supposedly these started appearing from Oct 2012 and were phased in. No idea if that is solid or a bit of guff from the service guys.
    My 150 build - http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?27423-A-Random-approach-to-a-Bluestorm-150-GXL-D4D-automatic

Comment

Thank you mjrandom. It is a good sign that the dealer is providing me with the correct information - and great news that the car should be OK.

Comment

Seems not, I saw one last year 2014 with under 90k kms on it cracking a piston. Due to injectors out of wack.. Luck of the draw.. Makes the Petrol look much better on paper..

Comment

There is also plenty of evidence of 12 and 13's cracking pistons..

Comment

Thanks Piggy. Today I spoke to a different dealer and I received a different answer... I was told that I would get a warning before any damage, and besides, I could ask the dealer to perform a "burn off". You give them your car, they hook up the computer and it sets the idle rate very high, generating a lot of heat which burns off the gunk. That sounds pretty low-tech, but he said newer models have a button that will start this process for you. It sounds like a self-cleaning oven...

But he also said it is pure luck of the draw, there is a very low probability of it occurring, and that "every" diesel in Australia is susceptible because of our dirty fuel...

Comment

Run Techstream and get the relevant injector values, then you know exactly where the injectors are at. The washers should not be an issue on a 2014.
              [B]Steve[/B]

2010 Silver GXL Prado 150, D4D Auto, with a few non standard bits

Comment

Ummm, dont think the 2014 has DPF .. Post Sept 15 I understand? Meaning that your car will NOT perform a DPF burn.. and in now way will that help with injector issues or cracked pistons that the Prado D4D (Designed 4 detonation) has..

Comment

Which if no DPF means your mechanic has no idea whatsoever...

Comment

Was the mechanic at a Toyota dealer? as if so it has given me even less confidence than I had before!

Comment

Working...
                    X