Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhino Hide for 150 Series

Hi everyone,

I recently came across this product at a 4wd show hosted by Ronny Dahl. It's basically a big fridge magnet that covers both sides of your car, it can be painted and is held on with strong magnets- The idea being that it protects your car from branches etc. The product looks super interesting and they are taking pre-orders for the 150 Prado now. Those of us who order early get it for half price.

I've no financial or other ties to them, I just thought it looked interesting for those of us who are a bit precious about our paintwork

https://rhinohide.com.au/
    Last edited by Atherton; 25-01-2018, 08:51 AM. Reason: Spelling

I've seen these before but they never had an for the Prado. They must have added the prado skins to their product offering.

Comment

Added Prado as an option about a week ago. It's a pre-order however.

Comment

Ordered mine. $1299. The pre ordering saves you $700 as the normal price for other cars is around $2K.

Comment

Wow.

When you want to sell the Prado, $1299 would be way more than a refresh and you never have to attach stuff to your vehicle.
          2008 D4D M6 GXL [MT ATZ-P3][Whitey's Ironman 45710FE/45682FE+KTFR101H/Dob487][extended Roadsafe links][Polyairs][DBA T3/T2][amts diffdrop & recovery points][Tin175's stone guards][Bushskins BashPlate][ARB Sahara][IPF 900s][Snorkel][WindCheetah][MaxTrax][IC-440][Parrot Asteroid][ARB Fridge][Lifestyle 2nd Row Fridge Mount][ARB Compressor][Thumper][SandGrabbers][Cargo Barrier][Tigerz Awning][MCC Rear Bar]

Comment

I dunno mate, paint is pretty pricy. Get a few marks that go through clearcoat, paint and into metal and that's going to be more expensive to do a proper job on than it is to buy these things. I've already got a few battle scars on mine, and my arse puckers up every time I hear that screeching noise when driving through the bush.

Comment

The website states;

"Rhinohide is rated for off-road use at wind speeds not exceeding 80kmph, any on-road use is at the customer’s own risk"

So what are you supposed to do with them when you have a fully loaded car while you drive on the road to get to your off road destination? They seem too bulky to to just throw in the back of the car.

Comment

Sure, repaint is pricy, but a buff and polish will eliminate everything except a scratch past the paint to the metal.

The Prado isn't a Porsche or Ferrari, it is an offroad capable 4wd. Minor scratches are normal.
                2008 D4D M6 GXL [MT ATZ-P3][Whitey's Ironman 45710FE/45682FE+KTFR101H/Dob487][extended Roadsafe links][Polyairs][DBA T3/T2][amts diffdrop & recovery points][Tin175's stone guards][Bushskins BashPlate][ARB Sahara][IPF 900s][Snorkel][WindCheetah][MaxTrax][IC-440][Parrot Asteroid][ARB Fridge][Lifestyle 2nd Row Fridge Mount][ARB Compressor][Thumper][SandGrabbers][Cargo Barrier][Tigerz Awning][MCC Rear Bar]

Comment

Sure scratches are part of taking these things offroad- I get that, you'd be a mug to expect that all bush tracks are cleared like highways. I'm just a bit precious with my paint, and I think these aren't a bad way to ensure that your Prado always looks its best when on and off the tracks.

EDIT: Just thought that I'd add; if it was an old 40 series landcruiser or something, scratches wouldn't bother me (and they don't, I use our one to mow down wattle trees all the time when I want to go somewhere off a firebreak on the farm). I just have a different approach when the car is 30+ years newer and in much better condition.
                  Last edited by Atherton; 28-01-2018, 09:09 PM.

Comment

They don't roll up but remain as panels from the product video of the FJ.
                    If you have experienced D4D engine failure, please complete this survey ​http://goo.gl/forms/bpJSYjq0Zx
                    My Rig Build up

sigpic

Comment

Amts is correct, I've got the bull by the tits there- They are panels that stack into a bag (not roll), just looked at Ronny Dahls perth 4x4 expo vid that he did and according to an interview with a rep they weigh about 12 kilos all up. Looks like the normal way to transport them is on a roof rack (which realistically would be the only spot you'd fit them and be able to easily get to them. Personally I think I will get good use out of them, there's so much Lantena in my part of the world in a lot of the 4x4 tracks that the car cops a hiding everytime I go out on any decent stuff. The ability to mitigate that horrible noise of screeching branches on paint is worth the cash for me tbh. The group I go with have old bangers (GQ's and 80's) and they're always willing to commit to gnarlier stuff than I am (even though the prado with it's traction control is probably the more capeable 4x4- none of them have diff locks which would probably change that). Yes I know it's precious, and maybe it'll change as I have it for longer, I've still got that new car (for me) feeling and I hate to see it damaged at all.

Comment

Ok, of course anyone can make a decision to buy something that others don't consider for their own use.

The basics I have that prevent myself thinking these are a good item to buy:

-> High cost.
                        -> Speed limit using the panels because the panels will get blown off at 80kph+ speed.
                        -> Storage when removed on the trip.
                        -> Problems re-applying the panels on a dirty 4wd during a trip: Might scratch the paint applying and removing it later. Sections of our trips have areas at speed limit 100-110 and low speed rough sections.

Comment

After going out on the weekend and putting a large scratch on a few doors I decided it was best to order some. (And get the scratch buffed out or dealt with).

Shame there is a delay. Let's hope they get the minimum order quantity.

Comment

Hey Guys, when you get your rhino hides please show us some photos of them installed on your vehicles.
                            Prado 150 / ARB summit bar-recovery point-alu roof rack / Safari snorkel / 2 inch lift-custom valved Foam Cell Pro shocks-Dobinsons springs / Dual batteries / Stedi LED fog lamp-headlight-DRL conversion-42 inch light bar / Kings 9 inch LED spotties-awning / Kaon cargo barrier-alu rear door table / Engel 40ltr fridge / Dunn and Watson alu fridge slide-cage / TJM recovery hitch / HKB alt voltage booster / [COLOR="#808080"]Next mods BFG AT KO2's, 110W solar panel[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by juz View Post
                              Hey Guys, when you get your rhino hides please show us some photos of them installed on your vehicles.
                              I will. It's gonna be ugly grey. At least it will be removable ugly. But I reckon if I don't do something to protect it my metallic storm, (I know - very poor colour choice) vehicle will soon be a real eyesore.

Comment

Working...
                              X