1GD 2.8 DPF Class Action

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1GD 2.8 DPF Class Action

Did I hear right, multi million $$$ class action launched against Toyota Australia for "faulty" DPF system.
    Going back to 2015 release models.

About time. The system is faulty. Toyota should have sorted it.
    Last edited by kizbot; 03-08-2019, 09:27 AM.

Comment

i have no idea how Toyota gonna deal with it ? add an extra switch ? it is not a real fix for the issue !!!

Comment

Am very interested to see what happens I’ve had no issues with mine “14,000km touch wood but would like to know what will happen if it does play up.. we had a Hilux that went back about 6 times to get it fixed and it still having issues

Comment

The switch does nothing unless the dpf is about 180% full.

Comment

What I find interesting is that the same engine in the UK and EU does not have DPF but instead has the adblue which from what I have read has less issues
            2011 150 D4D, TJM T13 Bullbar, TJM Airtec Snorkel, TJM Awning, Hayman Reese towbar, BFG all terrains, Hella Spotties ([B]Sold[/B])

Comment

Originally posted by fourbyfour View Post
              What I find interesting is that the same engine in the UK and EU does not have DPF but instead has the adblue which from what I have read has less issues
              In Europe the 1GD has DPF+SCR (adblue). But as long as I know there are no major issues with the DPF here... May bé different software configuration or better quality of diésel...

Comment

Originally posted by ferktm View Post

In Europe the 1GD has DPF+SCR (adblue). But as long as I know there are no major issues with the DPF here... May bé different software configuration or better quality of diésel...
                Thanks for the correction regarding the DPF I saw this article that Toyota here are looking at introducing the adblue as well https://mr4x4.com.au/toyota-expected...ll-out-adblue/
                2011 150 D4D, TJM T13 Bullbar, TJM Airtec Snorkel, TJM Awning, Hayman Reese towbar, BFG all terrains, Hella Spotties ([B]Sold[/B])

Comment

An attachment was emailed to me today which said Toyota should:

1. file and serve its defence by 18 October 2019; and
                  2. provide the Applicant with lists of information useful to the issues in the case by 18 October 2019 including:
                  a. a list of all Toyota models fitted with a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) that were offered for sale, exchange or lease/hire-purchase during the Relevant Period; and
                  b. a list of all models of Toyota vehicles that Toyota has determined are affected by the Potential DPF Issue, including where the motor vehicles and installed DPF Systems were designed and manufactured.
                  The information to be provided, and the defence to be filed, by Toyota will assist with narrowing the issues in dispute between the parties.
                  The Court made orders for discovery under which Toyota is required to provide the Applicant with important documents relating to the facts and issues in the case.
                  The second case management hearing is listed for 7 November 2019.

Comment

I've been following this since I bought my Prado early last year. According to AutoExpertTV (John Cadogan) at least part of the legal argument is that Toyota continued selling vehicles knowing there was a technical issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmvAwjE2gg4

I surmise from various posts that the white smoke problem is the usual problem of a DPF Diesel not driven enough (thus frustrating the regen process) and compounded by the 5th injector feature of the 2.8l engine.
                    The 5th injector and its combustion chamber appears to be fouling up.
                    I anticipate that the fix for existing vehicles will be through regular inspection and maintenance during planned maintenance periods (at least I'm hoping that Toyota will add it the maintenance tasks if they don;t have a permanent fix).

Some interesting videos on cleaning the 5th injector unit (and how fouled they can get):

1GD-FTV 5th injector clean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdZACWORMMg

White smoke 1GD 2GD Hilux Prado Fortuner 5th injector DPF Clean and Burn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiCvqnsAD0w

My 2018 Prado has had good runs on the highway and long remote tracks.
                    Ive done 42,000Kms in 18 months and keep track of the DPF readings on my Scanguage.
                    The DPF works well on tracks when grinding along in 4Lo, and overall is functioning satisfactorily, so far.........
                    Last edited by RPP; 14-09-2019, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kakadulover View Post
                      i have no idea how Toyota gonna deal with it ? add an extra switch ?
                      I wasn't even offered a switch when Toyota took my car for re-programming. They said it was not necessary. My Prado is 2016.
                      September 2016 GX Auto, D4D, Black, Stock standard.

Comment

Working...
                      X