Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask me anything.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you all know that I'm new to Prado Point. I've just bought my first Prado and have come here to join this epic community. I only have a basic knowledge of diesel mechanics but I have a super experienced skill set in technical photography, lighting, water photography, photographic philosophy, high end retouching and digital marketing, so where I may lack in the car knowledge department I will more than make up for in the photography department.

Hit me with anything!

Peace
    Tim.

What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
    [B][SIZE=4]ntp
    [/SIZE][/B][COLOR=#000040][B][SIZE=1]Love the Outback............. Love my Prado.[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]
    [I][SIZE=1][URL="http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w328/ntpryce/Picture23.png"]My Prado[/URL][/SIZE][/I], [I][SIZE=1][URL="http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w328/ntpryce/MyExtras.png"]My Extras[/URL][/SIZE][/I]
    [B]4wdriving First Party[/B][COLOR=#0000ff] - [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#0000ff]dןǝɥ ɹoɟ ןןɐɔ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı[/COLOR][/B]

Comment

African or European swallow?
      White 2008 Toyota Prado 120GXL - see here: http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread...20GXL-Build-Up

Comment

How do you photograph the moon. I have only basic skills but when zoomed in to the moon I only get a white spot, none of the crater features. I am guessing it has something to do with how long the shutter is open but I tried several different settings.

Comment

Originally posted by ntp View Post
          What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
          Well it depends on what sort of mods the DOT will allow to the birds plumage..

Comment

Originally posted by MDS69 View Post
            How do you photograph the moon. I have only basic skills but when zoomed in to the moon I only get a white spot, none of the crater features. I am guessing it has something to do with how long the shutter is open but I tried several different settings.
            When shooting the moon:
            1 - Use a tripod, always.
            2 - Under expose quite a bit, probably about 2 to 3 stops or even more if the contrast between moon and sky (bright to dark) is quite high like at midnight.
            3 - Get out of the wind - It will shake your camera and give you motion blur.
            4 - There are many different times of month to shoot the moon (obviously), what this means is that the angle of sunlight changes the way you see definition on the moon (craters etc), so if you want to see the shadows formed by mountains and craters on the moon your best bet is when the moon is at or around one of it's half phases. Full moons are cool but you won't see definition because all of the shadows on the surface are filled in by direct light.
            5 - The moon is best shot in context of an environment (in my opinion), eg. when it is on the horizon and you can see the foreground very well.
            Shoot on dusk or dawn when the lighting is also even - Below is an example of mine..

Comment

If your camera has spot metering or centre metering use that and focus on the moon and will still probably want to underexpose a little more.
              2009 120 GXL D4D, TJM Bull Bar, Winch, Safari Snorkel, ARB Lift, ARB Lockers, Black Widow Drawers

Comment

Welcome aboard Tim from a relative new forum member myself.

I have a Lumix G85 m4/3, if I want to attempt to shoot some astro photography (milky-way) but I've had trouble setting the focus to ensure the shots are crisp given it's dark and hard to find a focus point.
                I've got an upcoming trip to Canada and would love to get some great night long exposure shots.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanders View Post
                  Welcome aboard Tim from a relative new forum member myself.

I have a Lumix G85 m4/3, if I want to attempt to shoot some astro photography (milky-way) but I've had trouble setting the focus to ensure the shots are crisp given it's dark and hard to find a focus point.
                  I've got an upcoming trip to Canada and would love to get some great night long exposure shots.
                  Switch to manual focus and then set it to infinity. Sometimes you can back it off a smidge. test shots are the way to get it exact. I use various but a good rule of thumb is say ISO 1600, F4, 20 seconds.. Depends on your camera, some wont like high ISO settings without introducing noise (Grain). I use a D5 so its no issue. If you go too long in your exposure, you'll get blurred stars from the earths movement. A shorter focal length lens is your friend here, as longer lenses reduce the time you have to play with. anything from a 12-34 is ok, optimum I find is around a 17 or 24mm lens.

There is the old 500/600 rule.. Some use 500, I use 600.. Divide it by your lens and it gives you a theoretical maximum of time you can have the shutter open for before you start getting star trails (Blur) EG a 24mm lens. 600 / 24 = 25 (seconds) whereas 500 / 24 = 21 (roughly). these are the times before your stars will create trails. Theoretically and pretty close to practical as well. Longer lenses will lead to very short shutter times meaning not enough detail(light) will enter the lens.
                  Last edited by Piggy; 18-04-2018, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Hello Tim, re: Milky Way Photography: Camera: Canon EOS 500D (Kiss X3)

Any comments or other suggestions would be most welcome please Tim.

I use a tripod, (of course), but, and it's counter intuitive I know, but I now turn image stabilization off, (apparently when using a tripod Image stabilisation can get "confused" and make things worse) ...I find a focus point on the horizon during the day and note it or mark it on the focus ring, as others have said it can be a smidge off the actual infinity marking on the focus ring. Also, to stop minute camera shake I use manual mirror lock up, and also a remote control for the shutter release so you dont move the camera Try a few settings...but some basic rules of thumb that I try and remember for the Milky Way/Southern cross/two pointers etc.,
                    Auto focus off, image stabilization off, set a High ISO number, set a small F stop number, set focus to infinity, set mirror lock up, use remote shutter controller...anything else I need to do/change?

I'm considering a wide angle lens for astro-photography ...something with a wide aperture, say f 1.4 and a small focal length around say 25 mm... any suggestions for something that will definitely be compatible with this camera
                    SE Qld: GX 150GD Auto, (Feb'16 build): TJM T15 steel b bar, 9,500lb TORQ winch, TJM s steps, Rhino Pioneer Platform (42102B 1928X1236mm), front recovery points, Wynnum towbar, P3 brake controller, TNN Underbody guards, UHF, TREKtable & LED striplight, Custom Fridge & Drawers, Waeco CFX50, 9inch illuminator 160W LED spots, 40mm lifted Dobinson Suspension (Zordo's), ScanguageII, 30 Sec Wing Awning

Comment

I use the 500 rule. See if your camera also has a setting to remove high ISO noise, essentially it takes a shot with the shutter closed and takes this away from the open shot.

My 150 build - http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?27423-A-Random-approach-to-a-Bluestorm-150-GXL-D4D-automatic

Comment

Hi Tim and Welcome. Great idea to contribute your skills. I will subscribe and monitor this conversation. I reckon you should add to your profile by including your vehicle details. Happy traveling and enjoy the Prado!!
                        2004 120 - 1KZ Diesel, Custom Ironman 45710FE 436-569mm with Dobinon C59-352, Custom Ironman 45682FE 383-618mm with Dobinson C59-627, 30mm extended Roadsafe links,, Recaro Drivers Seat, ARB Delux Bull, LED Driving Lights, 1200lb winch, BF02's, LED's all round, Cage Rack, Duel Batts., Airtek Snorkel, Awning, Black Widow drawers and barrier, 40L Engle Fridge- all fun!

Comment

Working...
                        X