Defense Pack Blues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defense Pack Blues.

So I got the Defense Pack stuff when I bought the Prado new. Since found that it was a bit of a rip off getting it done through Toyota but you live and you learn. That is exactly why I don't touch Fruity Lexia any more.... anyhow....

A few days ago I received a letter from the Defense Pack people saying that I needed to have my "12 month checkup and inspection" done to keep my Defense Pack warranty in place. What?? Ok I thought that once this stuff was applied then that was it. No one told me anything about 12 month "services" needed to keep your Defense Pack stuff up to date and within warranty! I had the fabric protection, vinyl protection, clear coat paint protection, underbody rust protection, and security window tint done. It was sold to me as an apply once deal and then come back later to touch up if you want to! As the service costs $92.00 I'm really wondering if I should just let the warranty lapse and see if I can get this stuff done a little cheaper. I realise some of these coatings will eventually wear off but $92.00 a year seems like a bit of a cash grab. The real problem is that It's difficult for me to look at the car and actually see what's been done. Ok the underbody protection is easy to spot. But who knows if they actually did anything to the clear coat though?? They might just give it a bit of a polish and wait for me to hand the cash over. Couldn't tell a difference with or without the fabric protection on seats either. Once again I've no idea if it was actually done or not. Does anyone else bother with the Defense Pack "services"??????????? :?
    [b]#[/b] 2007 D4D GX [b]#[/b] Full Privacy Tint [b]#[/b] [color=#FF0000][b] Flinders Red [/b][/color] [b]#[/b] 2 x HID LightForce 240 Blitz [b]#[/b] ARB Winch Bar [b]#[/b] Alloy Rims [b]#[/b] Hilux Washer Jets [b]#[/b] Stebel Nautilus Compact Truck Horn [b]#[/b] ARB Alloy Roof Rack [b]#[/b] ARB Dual Battery System [b]#[/b] Charcoal Rough Country Canvas Seat Covers [b]#[/b] [color=#0000FF]Suspension:[/color]Autocraft Bilstein Shocks/Struts & Ridepro Coils [b]#[/b] [color=#0000FF]L.E.D[/color] Side Marker Lights [b]#[/b] ARB Onboard Air [b]#[/b] Pirelli Scorpion LT ATR 265/70's [b]#[/b][color=#0080FF]--Custom 3"exhaust---[/color]

Re: Defense Pack Blues.

Originally posted by IRON-PAWW
    A few days ago I received a letter from the Defense Pack people saying that I needed to have my "12 month checkup and inspection" done to keep my Defense Pack warranty in place. What?? Ok I thought that once this stuff was applied then that was it. No one told me anything about 12 month "services" needed to keep your Defense Pack stuff up to date and within warranty! I had the fabric protection, vinyl protection, clear coat paint protection, underbody rust protection, and security window tint done. It was sold to me as an apply once deal and then come back later to touch up if you want to! As the service costs $92.00 I'm really wondering if I should just let the warranty lapse and see if I can get this stuff done a little cheaper. I realise some of these coatings will eventually wear off but $92.00 a year seems like a bit of a cash grab. The real problem is that It's difficult for me to look at the car and actually see what's been done. Ok the underbody protection is easy to spot. But who knows if they actually did anything to the clear coat though?? They might just give it a bit of a polish and wait for me to hand the cash over. Couldn't tell a difference with or without the fabric protection on seats either. Once again I've no idea if it was actually done or not. Does anyone else bother with the Defense Pack "services"??????????? :?
    Mate, this stuff happens all the time. Makes my blood boil :evil: :evil: . No doubt, somewhere in the "small print" it talks about the annual service charge - these guys rely on the fact that nobody reads the documentation. That said; if you are confident the salesman did not mention the "services", it might be worth having a bit of a chat to "management". If the salesman did not inform you of the ongoing service, it would seem totally reasonable that the dealership wear the cost. Good luck with it.

Bear
    2005 4L V6 5sp Auto GXL. Not much gear!

Comment

IRON-PAWW,
      As I think you have already discovered the value of these products is dubious at best. I would suggest you accept the inital cost as a loss and move on, don't keep throwing money away.

Leachy
      EX-Prado Owner

Comment

I was hoping this was a new factory option of guided missiles on the roof to deal with the w4nkers on the road. Sadly disappointed. :wink:
        My 150 build - http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?27423-A-Random-approach-to-a-Bluestorm-150-GXL-D4D-automatic

Comment

Hmmm yeah Amen to that Leachy! This has all the hallmarks of one of those mobile phone scams that get people sucked in and then keep sending them bills whether they like it or not! Doubtless if I read through all that Defense Pack paperwork I got I'll find a small section outlining the "services"! I think at the end of the day you'd be putting on seat covers anyhow. Could probably also put a dash mat in as well as usually the dash is the first to show signs of sun damage. Though most modern cars don't seem to do too badly with that.

It was all a year ago now so my memory of what was said is hazy. I clearly remember being told that it was an apply once and you're set type scenario though. The salesman said in passing that they (Toyota) would tell me if anything needed touching up. I don't remember anything about yearly costs to keep the warranty up. If I went in guns blazing they'd probably stick my nose in said fine print and use the "read and weep" line on me. Might just do some reading tonight. Honestly though, I'm thinking I might just accept that I'm being taken for a ride and walk away from the whole Defense Pack thing. I want nothing to do with being scammed, and I really think that the added costs just aren't worth any benefits you might get.

Get the clear coat if you want but I think don't do it through Toyota. And maybe not through the Defense Pack crowd either. I admit I don't seem to have picked up scratches where I thought I would so there could be some benefit with the clear coat.

Heh! Sorry MJ. I'll leave it to you to start the roof mounted stinger missile thread!! :lol:
          [b]#[/b] 2007 D4D GX [b]#[/b] Full Privacy Tint [b]#[/b] [color=#FF0000][b] Flinders Red [/b][/color] [b]#[/b] 2 x HID LightForce 240 Blitz [b]#[/b] ARB Winch Bar [b]#[/b] Alloy Rims [b]#[/b] Hilux Washer Jets [b]#[/b] Stebel Nautilus Compact Truck Horn [b]#[/b] ARB Alloy Roof Rack [b]#[/b] ARB Dual Battery System [b]#[/b] Charcoal Rough Country Canvas Seat Covers [b]#[/b] [color=#0000FF]Suspension:[/color]Autocraft Bilstein Shocks/Struts & Ridepro Coils [b]#[/b] [color=#0000FF]L.E.D[/color] Side Marker Lights [b]#[/b] ARB Onboard Air [b]#[/b] Pirelli Scorpion LT ATR 265/70's [b]#[/b][color=#0080FF]--Custom 3"exhaust---[/color]

Comment

Well, at the risk of repeating myself.... I had the full protection pack applied to my car when new in 2004. Now, 4 and a half years later, the inside is still pristine, the outside has never needed waxing, the underbelly in a likewise condition. I have taken Pearlie off road on many occasions, including one especially long and very enjoyable trip through to the centre from Perth, the Tanami, Kimberley including Mitchell Falls, Kalumuburu, Gibb River Road (twice along the entire length) along the Savannah way via Cape Crawford, Borroloola to Lawn Hill, Cobbold Gorge to Innisfail and now beyond that. Went through river crossings, bull dust, copious rough dirt roads, beaches and clambering up lookouts. When I took her into get detailed, they didn't have too much of a job to get her back to the original condition. The paint protection has really held up very well considering that she has NEVER been garaged. They did not need to wax, only a buff to remove some surface scrapes from bushes! Even the detailing firm were impressedl. Now tell me that is not worth it!! I paid $1200 for the full kit and kaboodle when new which included electronic rust proofing and have had the yearly checkups. I don't get charged anything for the checks though. The warranty runs out at 5 years but the protection is quoted to last for the life of the vehicle. Anyway, I am glad I had it done and also glad that I am not a slave to the polishing mitt and have more time to get out there and enjoy the outdoors.
            One thing I do concur with is that I was never sure whether the job was done in the first place. I couldn't smell or see some of the products on Pearlie. I guess you just have to trust that they have done it. I do have car seat covers on (12 months) and thick rubber mats over the carpeted areas to keep some of the outside from getting ground into the inside but the rest is a la naturale.. I invite anyone to have a look .. if you can catch up with me. Look for the PP sticker.. Heading to Rockhampton then Brisbane over the festive season.
            On that point, I would like to wish everyone a happy and safe Christmas.

Cheers
            Gayle
            You're here for a good time, not a long time... Love my Prado...

Comment

I reckon you won't know if it's doing it's job for 10 years or more. then when there's a heap of faded cars the same colour and model as yours when your's looks pristine, then you can say 'it works'. To test the interior treatment, get someone to spew a cocktail of red wine and pasta over it and see how it cleans up. I had a red Pulsar that we had treated with a interior and exterior protectant at time of purchase and the above scenario happened... cleaned up fine. Also, every red Pulsar I've seen has faded paint, ours was almost like new (scratches aside) when we sold it, 15years old. We had our '97 Clubsport treated with 'Ming' exterior and it also looks like new when washed, although it's only 11years old. When we bought our Subaru (to replace the Pulsar) we didn't get any nor for the Prado (which replaced the Subaru). Both of these we sprayed a can or so of Scotchguard on the seats. We had one child puke it's lunch (boob milk) in the Subaru and it cleaned up fine.

So, do I think they do something... yes. Would I recommend them... probably not! A can of Scotchguard is a whole lot cheaper. If you turn your cars over regularly (leased, etc) then I can't see any point.

Nige.

Comment

Whatever benefit these treatments have, one thing for sure is that they are a scam by the dealers.

You can get better at a good detailer for less, and have it applied with more care. Whilst people who have paid for it will wax (sorry) lyrical about how good the vehicle looks after 5 years etc, I'd challenge anyone to pick it over another equivalently treated car without the protection after that time. I reckon save your money and get it properly detailed when it's 2 or 3 years old if you think it needs it. - It'll cost you less, and it will spark up the car when the 'new' has worn off.

We have 2 cars outside bought in the same year. One had the full treatment, and one did not. Both nearly 5 years old, both done about the same work and sit in the same shelter every day. You cannot tell which has had the treatment by looking at them. They came to us with the 'touch up to retain warranty' mumbo jumbo and we showed them the door. Waste of money.
                2008 D4D M6 GXL [MT ATZ-P3][Whitey's Ironman 45710FE/45682FE+KTFR101H/Dob487][extended Roadsafe links][Polyairs][DBA T3/T2][amts diffdrop & recovery points][Tin175's stone guards][Bushskins BashPlate][ARB Sahara][IPF 900s][Snorkel][WindCheetah][MaxTrax][IC-440][Parrot Asteroid][ARB Fridge][Lifestyle 2nd Row Fridge Mount][ARB Compressor][Thumper][SandGrabbers][Cargo Barrier][Tigerz Awning][MCC Rear Bar]

Comment

1 wales worth of fish oil
                  2 cans of scotchguard
                  1 Jar of wax
                  And the satisfaction of telling the dealer to wake up
                  Dont list all ya mods, you will only be more upset when i get further

Comment

Pearlie do the Defense Pack people pester you for 12 monthly re-applications??

The last few weeks have been a little bit of a blur for me being extremely busy and a funeral thrown in to add to the mix. In the middle of it all I dropped the the Prado in for it's service and just told them to "do what was needed" as I had other things to worry about. Well so this included the Defense Pack "service". Fair cop as I didn't specify. Just wasn't thinking at the time.

I've really only just looked at it properly in the last few days and jeez what a hash job. All over the roof of the car are what looked like big white scratches on first inspection. Nearly frikkin fell off the running boards. Turns out they weren't scratches but I think were some type of dried, poorly applied Polish. And I mean all over the roof. Had some rather nasty scratches in the drivers door paintwork as well which I'm certain weren't there when I dropped it in. No proof though. Got the drivers door scratches out with Autoglym Super Resin Polish though. Similarly I got the polish "leftovers" off the roof with a light work over with S R polish. Should have taken it back to the dealer and told them to sort it but done is done. Usually I'd be very vigilant about this sort of thing but things didn't work out that way this time.

So check the roof if you're having this done yourselves. Better yet, as suggested, find a reputable company to do it rather than going through the dealer.

Added to this they made a mess of my sovereign bar that I'd recently got nice and shined up. I've got not idea what the heck it was but all over it in blobs and liquid running marks, something had caused it to dull quite a lot. Not a biggie in the grand scheme of things I know but what the heck would cause that to happen?? Some type of car wash? Maybe a wash down at the Defense Pack workshop? I dunno but It took me a good hour to polish that crap out. Once again I probably should have taken it back and told them to sort it. You can still see some of the marks if you get the light right on it, but they'll polish out eventually I'd say. But Geez man!!!!

You guys really don't want to know what my 12 month service cost all up either.... Ouch.. :shock: Next time will be different...... Sure as the sun rises.... :evil:

Comment

Hello again Iron Paww.

Apologies for the delay in replying - have been wandering around the country side again. :lol: :lol:

With regards to my paint protection, it was a one-off application when new and a yearly check by Mr Toyota to ensure that it is all good. They didn't charge me for the privilege and give me a full report every check.
                      I cannot understand why you are having problems.
                      Did they use Naturgard? Perhaps they should have!

Pearlie is still shining...
                      You're here for a good time, not a long time... Love my Prado...

Comment

For many years now i haven't bothered with any aftermarket paint or fabric or rust protection.
                        Have just relied on regular wash and vacuum, and 3-6 monthly elbow grease and good quality polish eg Meguiars.
                        After a road trip eg Simpson crossing or Fraser Island, will generally spend a good day or two under/over/in and outside detailing the truck.
                        Previous Prado went 10 years and 300,000km before I upgraded, and apart from a little wear and tear, was in bloody good nick and no trace of rust.
                        Defence pack products i think are overpriced (good profit for dealer), and give a false sense of security.
                        2013 Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6 SE
                        Ex 2008 Toyota Prado 120 VX, D4D
                        Ex 1997 Toyota Prado 90 GXL, V6
                        Ex 1988 Mitsubishi Pajero V6
                        Ex 1986 Suzuki Sierra

Comment

Originally posted by rhs58
                          Have just relied on regular wash and vacuum, and 3-6 monthly elbow grease and good quality polish
                          This is the trick for sure. No special surprises or magic potions. Just elbow grease and regular maintenance.
                          [B][SIZE=4]ntp
                          [/SIZE][/B][COLOR=#000040][B][SIZE=1]Love the Outback............. Love my Prado.[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]
                          [I][SIZE=1][URL="http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w328/ntpryce/Picture23.png"]My Prado[/URL][/SIZE][/I], [I][SIZE=1][URL="http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w328/ntpryce/MyExtras.png"]My Extras[/URL][/SIZE][/I]
                          [B]4wdriving First Party[/B][COLOR=#0000ff] - [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#0000ff]dןǝɥ ɹoɟ ןןɐɔ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı[/COLOR][/B]

Comment

The after market products do work, however the dealer will try to sell them because they got very high margins on after market products. For example the dealer will charge you around $500+ for window tint, you can get it done elsewhere for $275 - 300.
                            Cheers,
                            Dustie

Self confessed PP addict!! hmm.. now thats not a bad habit is it......

Comment

So heck! You guys who've had the Defense pack stuff applied don't get pestered for 12 monthly "services"?? Freaking heck why does this stuff always happen to me?! :evil: I got a letter from the Defense pack guys themselves plus a pestering from the dealership. It certainly wasn't ever mentioned that the "servicing" of the defense pack stuff might be done free of charge. Nor was it mentioned about any "warranty" concerning the Defense pack stuff. I think the "warrantly" is just for the "oh crap" effect to make you rush out and keep the Defense Pack under "warranty".

I wasn't having a good time of it back then as I said and I didn't organise my last service like I should have. I think it is a good lesson for me and others to question exactly what the service entails and think for yourself weather the cost is worth it. I think if the dealerships spot a sucker in regards to extra costs they will move in for the kill.

Don't be that sucker.

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                              mencisport.com
                              antalya escort
                              tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              gaziantep escort
                              gaziantep escort
                              asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                              erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                              atasehir escort tuzla escort
                              sikis sex hatti