Rust protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rust protection

In keeping with that this topic seems to be about - that is "Rust Protection", not specifically ERPS but certainly inclusive, I have decided that indepth discussion on how the system mechanics, electromagnetism, electronics, electric potential, etc is not important, but a basic understanding must be achieved.

What is important is whether or not they do what they claim to do or not. Suffice to say that whether you use one or not is your own choice! I cannot (and will not) comment, however, on the quality or suitablity of individual units from any manufacturer. I will say that a correctly designed system that is installed in the correct way and maintained to a high operational standard will reduce the amount oxidation that occurs over the life of a vehicle (or any other plant machinery, such as, but not limited to trailers & caravans).

Originally posted by Matty & Loz
    While I agree with your theory of more reactive metals corroding first over 'lesser' reactive metals, the battery will not work as an ERPS! This is because to prevent rust the body must be at an equal potential (that is everything at the same voltage +/- a point or two), with an ERPS this is done by attaching the pads to various points over the body and chassis, then monitoring the potential and injecting voltage to the pads to cancel the effects (complex system) alternatively - injecting a low constant voltage to the pads to equalise potential difference (simpler system). The battery however, 12v, is connected to the chassis only at one point, it then has many return paths through the body all of different voltages (due to volt drop through cables and body resistance to battery, distance to return point is also a factor) and many different loads (due to the different currents drawn and returned by the cars electrical systems). In effect no one point of the car will be at the some potential as the next!
    My original explaination, is not fully correct. I had thought at the time, it would be enough to quell the idea of a battery not being sitable, I'll open the idea further with more detail and less generalisation.

I will clarify a few terms first:
    • Rust refers specifically to iron oxide, the by product of the process oxidation which is created by chemical reaction between iron/steel and oxygen.[/*:72lrpx63]
    • The terms 'Protection' and 'Provention' do not adequately explain the nature of what the system does, as oxidation CANNOT be prevented. However, an ERPS does slow the process, but must be used in conjuction with other metal protection methods - such as painting & cleaning.[/*:72lrpx63]
    • Specific formulae for the oxidation process, potential differences during the process and other scientific details are outside the scope of this post.[/*:72lrpx63]

The ideal theory behind how one of these small electronic units works is to turn the body of the car into a capacitor. This reduces the effects of electrolysis by 'negatively charging' the cars metal framework, this increase in electrons hinders the chemical reactions that cause rust, details of which are outside of the scope of this post.

A misconception of this unit is that the pads are 'electrically connected' to the cars body, however, this is not the case such as you would find with a body earth or mounting bolt for a bracket. The term connected, in this case, refers to the pads being stuck to the body using adhesive, and requiring no removal of existing paint work. These 'capacitive couplers' (or pads) form the basics of a completed capacitor, the car body (negative conductor), the adhesive (dieletric insulator), and a metalic film contained within the pad (positive poductor).

The 'electronically controlled' module varies the potential difference applied to the capacitive couplers. The couplers are wired in parallel to each other, allowing the module to control each individually to another. This allows the module to meticulously control and measure the capacitance at each coupler by increasing/decreasing the potential difference, all within a very specific and limited range which in turn creates an electrostatic charge (via capacitive coupling) also within a very specific and limited range.

The adhesive couplers are as important to the systems operation and the control module itself, and signs of wear or a failure of the adhesive material will affect the effectiveness of the unit.

In summary, these components serve to induce a measured and specific negative electrostatic surface charge on the metal surface being protected (your vehicle's body for instance) thus capacitive coupling treats the metal body as if it were the negative half of a capacitor. This negative surface charge serves to interfere with the normal electrochemical corrosion processes that create corrosion on metals.

It is important to note, that this system alone will not adequately protect your car. As demonstrated in an unofficial blog post I stubbled across on the net in our seach for a simple explaination. The person who performed the test, even states that their knowledge on the mechanics of the problem is lacking. However, the photos included over days demonstrate the effectiveness of an ERPS.
    Rust Protection Experiment

Originally posted by prado_chia
    Your car battery is actually a ERPS...
    Ok the battery is not technically a ERPS but acts like one...
    I am yet to see a car battery do anything of the above, and while you explainations are correct in which metals react more or less with other metals, it can only be applied to metals that are in contact with each other. And if the lead from a battery is in contact with the steel body work of your car - there are much bigger issues that surface and penetration rust issues within the body work.

I believe ERPS works but for $500 I would probably not buy it.
    The cost of the system cannot be compared with simpler, maybe even backyard, ideas for rust protection.

a kg of Zinc should sacrifice itself to about a kg of potentially rusting iron
    Weight consideration within vehicles is a large part of design, adding a kg of zinc bar is not practical not efficient - as ideally the larger the surface area contact the better the protection provided and this is achieved, practically, by having zinc moulded around a piece of flat bar and then welded to the surface if the equipment being protected. I doubt many people will want this option for their pride and joy. It should not be considered that a 1:1 ratio of zinc oxidation to iron oxidation.

About voltage drop, voltage drop in chemistry tells you whether it is spontaneous, so the potential or voltage is smaller between Zn and Fe, so corrosion will occur slower than Al and Fe because this has a larger potential. I know the length of the car will have a drop across the front to the rear like electrical transmission lines and the ERPS will have pads to short circuit the system to get a potential but isn't the cross sectional area for current carrying capacity of steel for the car thru the body great than the copper wire used for the pad from the ERPS? Or I guess it is because that copper is 5.6 times more conductive than iron that makes it short cut the system. And then I guess you don't want to buy a ERPS that uses steel cables. But I believe the cars cross-sectional area will be greater than the cross-sectional area of the ERPS cable. A few mm thick assume a 2m x 2m box for the prado area => 4 sides x 2m x 3 mm or 0.003 m = 0.024 m2 = 240 cm2. But then copper is 5.6 times that of iron so a copper cable should be 42 cm2... pretty damn big cable or if you use a 1 cm2 copper cable I guess you would need a 42 times potential or something like that... so a 1:42 step-up voltage transformer will be required... I guess this is what a ERPS does.
    Incorrect. Your general understanding of electrical and the operation of an ERPS have become confused and intertwined. We must move this discussion away from the battery, it is not, will never be, and cannot be used in any way to reduce the rate at which oxidation occurs. It is only a battery.

Like to hear your thoughts because a ERPS is lighter than a Pb acid battery and the Pb acid battery is only 50% efficient at best and when new as the 50% of weight is useless dead weight since the plates surface is only utilised. Does some one have the weight of a ERPS? I am guessing no more than a 1 kg. Also could it cause a explosion? Voltage drop across a tank of fuel if not on the surface could cause an explosion or if the pad was just off a bit.
    I am not even sure what you are impling here, it is confusing and net very well thought out - the efficiencies of a battery are not relevant, and regardless of efficiency the 'waste' is not available for use somewhere else???. The ERPS will weigh in at approximately the same as a BCDC1220 battery charger from redarc, the weight of the small cables minor and the adhesive couplers not even worth considering. Voltage drop CANNOT cause and explosion, only a spark or pressure can cause an explosion.

As a finishing note - I will not enter into further discussion regarding the battery, or kg's of zinc being added to a car's panel work as a viable alternative for a small electronic unit. My original post was indicitive of just that the electronic rust protection systems work and that a battery would not - this has infact become well and truely out of control. I find myself wondering why I ever openned my mouth at all.... Too think that this post has only touched on the basics of how this sytem works and already 2 pages in length.

Cheers Matt
    2014 D4D 150 GXL Automatic - CHARCOAL

Comment

Apologies Matty

Didn't mean to waste your time/wind you up? a bit? - I am genuinely interested in this because I have a passion and a degree in chemistry. I was about to buy one of these from an Adelaide company. Until it got me thinking.

I think it is good that we are having health discussions because I am learning about how the ERPS works from your perspective.

Thanks for your expertise, I have limited background in electronics (a few classes in uni and not my favourite subject) and time to answer my post.

I will clarify in short form...

1."...there are much bigger issues that surface..." other issues like clock memory and alarm that take a small load right? Or is there something else?

2."The cost of the system cannot be compared with simpler, maybe even backyard, ideas for rust protection." It is a backyard method I an proposing using zinc by it will work. Zinc is used also used on galvanised steel to stop rust, in paint for rust prevention, oil and gas facilities to prevent rust and hot water systems to prevent rust not just backyard applications.

3."a kg of Zinc should sacrifice itself to about a kg of potentially rusting iron" not the whole car weight only the amount of exposed steel surface only - depends on how much rust you see on your car.

4."Incorrect. Your general understanding of electrical and the operation of an ERPS have become confused and intertwined..." I thought it needs to be connected to flow the electrons across? Otherwise I don't know how it would work? Unless magnetic induction? Then this would be safe... if not and it connects to the surface and there is a gap it would cause a spark right? So the pads stick to the surface via magnetism?

ERPS are ran by batteries so I only refer in this context:
      5."I am not even sure what you are impling here, it is confusing and net very well thought out..." From my electrochemistry class at uni my professor (pHD in Electrochemistry - Lead acid batteries) was talking about how only the surface is used in the reaction and that some lead batteries are 50% efficient in terms of weight - cheap makes. The more expensive ones with Antimony or other elements make the Pb more spongy/more surface area and are 80% efficient so 20% is dead weight - waste in terms of weight this is what I mean. Note - these 80% efficient batteries soon turn to the cheap batteries by re-crystalisation and the sponginess gets filled by the lead.

6. On second thought the Aluminium cans won't work since the Aluminium oxide will stop corrosion - you will need to physically need to strip the surface every time. Zinc oxide how ever will turn into dust and will continue to work.

7. I guess the ERPS is not water proof and if you use a small pieces of zinc the water would not matter - as much.

Hope you have time to answer... Y/N answers would suffice with few words. I numbered the paragraphs to avoid "".

Cheers
      prado_chia
      2003 Grande-2nd hand, Silver, Diesel, Safari Snorkel, Parkside Towbar, Rola low profile x-bars, Tojo Roo Bar, ARB Air-Comp.

Comment

No need to apologise mate, it is after all just a discussion! Differing opinions and understanding levels.
        What is upsetting is that this is the second time i've written a reply - internet explorer crashed and i lost the first one!!!

1. I believe your quoting me? I was trying to imply that for differing metals to have a scrificial metal effect on each other they must be in direct contact. So if the lead from inside the battery was in direct contact to the car body work - then the bigger issue would be acid in the engine bay (busted battery). As for sacrifical metals, the its more the individual points of connection that whould be a concern not the over all system. However, due to the low reactive nature of copper, lead, tin, gold, silver, aluminum they are ideal for use in electrical as they have low effect on each other.

2. Agree, zinc will work! but in land based protection methods zinc is usually applied in a hot dipped, or galvanic process with covers the entire surface, not in moulded blocks such as in the marine industry. Where marine the zinc is usually fully submerged within the accelerating medium. They also need maintenance, and a clean metal contact, so for a car this means stripping paint and perferably welding to chassis. ERPS, expensive initial cost, low maintenace and sticky pad adhesive application.

3. Rust cannot be prevented, can only be slowed or reduced. Regardless of the method(s) of protection.

4. No actual 'electrical conection' between the ERPS and the body of the car (exception being the supply of power). The pads are electrically isolated, same as the internals of a capacitor. I should say that to describe it as 'turning the car into a capacitor' would not be ideal, it should be something more like 'negative polarization of the car by means of electrostatic charge' - complicated, i know.

5. Not sure about the spngy part of the lead? I would have assumed that a greater number of plates used to increase surface area, or at least variations in plate surface design. Correct charge curves from effcient and correctly designed units will reduce the crystalisation effects. And alternator is only capable of boost charge, and not designed for getting the best out of your expensive batteries. Still, this wont effect the ERPS unit, unless the battery has actually failed, the ERPS is a low power unit.

6. Agree with the aluminum oxide requiring removal to continue protection. this type of anode is much better used in more corrosive environements, where acidic levels eat away the oxide. Zinc oxide breaks away and the remaining zinc continues to protect - correct, still i don't think the best solution, see 2. touching up a weld job with a zinc based primer works, but a complete coat works better.

7. Waterproof is a difficult term! Would i high-pressure wash one, probably not. A dunk in a river, more than likely ok. Most units are designed for under bonnet use and as such are protected against these events with encapsulated bodies and often some epoxy resin filling. Don't quote me on that - but assume the manufacturer has covered this already. Best to follow installation guidelines. And ensure the purchase suits how you want to use it.

I'm no metalurgist - you'd know more about the individual metal reactions than me - that is just how i understand it to be from what i have seen. As for the electrical side, i think i've covered it fairly well, if there's anything your still unsure about let me know, maybe better in a PM, i'm not sure how far off the threads topic this is getting.

Cheers Matt
        2014 D4D 150 GXL Automatic - CHARCOAL

Comment

7. More serious pieces of equipment should have an IP rating written on them:

Comment

Thanks Matty

I get free electrical advise from an expert/electrician free of charge! Good discussion.

Cheers
            prado_chia
            2003 Grande-2nd hand, Silver, Diesel, Safari Snorkel, Parkside Towbar, Rola low profile x-bars, Tojo Roo Bar, ARB Air-Comp.

Comment

I had a electronic one put on my 120 when bought new in 08 and got the letter to say it had to be inspected every twelve months on it's birthday not only were all the inspection point miles away and only open on a few days a week but they wanted to charge me to make sure there product was working????? I do like the idea of them but some other people on here come up with some good points. But if you are going to get one find out were it has to be inspected how often and how much they are going to charge you for the privilege. $500 protection on a 60k car doesnt seem to bad if you look at it that way
              [color=#FF0000]ECB ally bar, IPF HID upgraded, dual battery with CTEK dc to dc inverter, 32lt Engel, Safari snorkel, GME UHF, Maxtrax, bridgstone duelers, Offroad camper Trailer [/color]

[color=#0040FF]WISH LIST: lift kit, Onboard compressor,recovery points [/color]

Comment

I recently purchased a 2007 grande it has already had a eco-pro rust proofing unit installed but I cannot find any info on this brand, the problem is it has a light on the unit that is not lit up and I know that the erps unit on my pajero said if no light has fault, so I was looking for a manual of some sort on the eco pro or a contact for the company. can anyone help. severl web searche with no luck.

Comment

Originally posted by David Hamilton View Post
                  I recently purchased a 2007 grande it has already had a eco-pro rust proofing unit installed but I cannot find any info on this brand, the problem is it has a light on the unit that is not lit up and I know that the erps unit on my pajero said if no light has fault, so I was looking for a manual of some sort on the eco pro or a contact for the company. can anyone help. severl web searche with no luck.
                  try posting up a picture or two and someone may recognise it
                  [size=1][color=#990000][b]--> Macarthur District 4WD Club Member <--[/b][/color]
                  ::2005 Black Grande Petrol V6::2 x PP Stickers::ARB Deluxe Winch Bar::IPF Spotties + Fogs:: Dual Battery, ABR DBi120 Isolator & Volt Monitor::ARB Portable Air:: Rear Drawer Unit::Trek Table::WAECO 40Lt::WAECO Raps R12U::AMTS Rear Tyre Spacer::HILUX Washers::UHF::Prodigy P3::Stebel Air Horns:: Inverter::CouplerTec Electronic Rustproofing::OEM Roof Racks, Towbar, Hard Wheel Cover::REAR CAMERA to factory GPS::[/size]

Comment

Restarting an old thread here...

Recently picked up my new/old 120 series. Looking at getting it proofed before going up to Fraser/DI Point regularly. Was thinking deodorised fish oil before/after each trip. However, spoke to a guy in Caloundra today that does a 'rubber' consistency underbody treatment. $350 all up. He also recommended a yearly touch up for about $50 to patch up any holes each year. This sounds pretty good to me! Maybe an alternative to getting under the car with oil every week.

I also have coupler tec electronic which I'll be taking out of my old car and fitting to the prado. Did nothing for the last car... It's a write off due to rust and had electronic since bought from new. To be fair I really didn't look after it much because it was an X-trail and was the bane of my existence!

My question is, am I better off just with the fish/oil and electronic combo? Or is it worth spending the extra money on a professional underbody spray?
                    Obviously I'll be taking much better care of the Prado with plenty of rinsing and post-beach care.

Thanks,

- Ben

Comment

I have a 49 year old car at home which had an electronic rust inhibitor installed when I got it. As the car gets very little use, I had trouble stopping the battery from draining so I did some research to see if I really needed the inhibitor.

I came across a few studies similar to this one:

http://ecclesautoservice.ca/do-elect...otectors-work/

Basically they don't work. I couldn't find any independent research to suggest that they do work.

Comment

That's what I figured...
                        Seeing as the cost to reinstall with new pads etc is $250! I may be better off putting this towards some decent underbody protection... Or one of the other many toys yet to buy for the prado!
                        - Ben

Comment

For those that are interested. I spoke to a rustproofer in Caloundra today. Booked in to get my 120's underbody spray done before a trip to Moreton in a couple weeks.
                          I spoke to him about my rust issues with my previous car the X-trail even with the couplertec in place from day one. He is a couplertec dealer and was quite surprised. His suspicion is that it possibly wasn't correctly installed and possibly only protecting the upper portion of the car... apparently you really need a pad or two on the chassis. Mine were all on the upper body (behind lights on rear, high up in engine bay). This makes a bit of sense because all the rust is on the underbody... not much at all on the upper parts of the car. Even paint chips are free of rust.

However... I pulled the couplertec unit out of the x-trail this morning and found rust on the back of the unit! Doesn't bode well...
                          I remain skeptical...
                          Still undecided as to whether or not to put it in the Prado. Couldn't hurt. But can't help but feeling like a sucker if I put anymore money towards it for new pads etc... We'll see.

Underbody spray still seems the safest option and I'll certainly be doing this regularly.

- Ben

Comment

I'm a professional corrosion engineer. 21 years plus 2 days in the oil and gas, marine, offshore and any other bit of submerged or buried steel industry you can think of. In that time I have monitored, designed, installed and trouble-shot thousands of "industrial" corrosion protection systems.

Electronic Rust Prevention systems are a scam. Simple.

Either get a full underbody coat done (and you could write volumes on various systems) or do what I do...

1. Get a couple of cans of cheap degreaser, get under the car and get busy spraying exposed surfaces. Leave it to soak in for an hour.

2. Get in and under the car with a gerni (fresh water obviously), and not just a quick spray around. Every nook and cranny. We do regular weed hygiene inspection certification on our vehicles and you would be surprised at where the various traps and pockets are on the vehicle.

3. When satisfied all is clean, get a couple of cans of fish oil (SCA sell as do most places) and spray everything exposed under the vehicle.

I wrote to CouplerTec a few years back about their highly dubious claims, never received any response. I even rang them and the answer I got was "well, that's just your opinion". The thing is it is not just my opinion, there is no ASME/NACE/API coed or test regime testing ever done on these things and the 'science' is nonsense. Make a capacitor out of your car body? Make a cathode out of the steel? Just nonsense.

Comment

Sourced from https://www.finance.nsw.gov.au/about...uction-devices

25 November 2015

"NSW Fair Trading Commissioner Rod Stowe is warning NSW consumers not to waste their money buying computerised electronic corrosion inhibitors (CECI devices) for motor vehicles after investigations by Western Australia Consumer Protection revealed the devices don’t work.

WA Consumer Protection has entered into an Enforceable Undertaking under the Australian Consumer Law, on behalf of all ACL regulators, with distributors High Performance Corporation Pty Ltd (HPC) and MotorOne Group Pty Ltd (MotorOne) to stop the sale of and secure refunds for consumers who bought devices that were falsely claimed to reduce rust and corrosion by as much as 80 percent in motor vehicles.

These businesses sell a range of goods and services to the national automotive market largely through vehicle dealerships, auto parts stores and window tinting outlets.

The device was often sold as part of a package of after sales care products on new vehicles and connects to the vehicle’s battery. The devices are generally simply connected to the vehicle battery and an earth point.

WA Consumer Protection sought independent expert opinion and testing that concluded CECI Units did not prevent rust or corrosion. The makers of other, similar products are also being investigated by WA Consumer Protection. Prices of these similar devices have ranged up to $4,000.

Mr Stowe said the ‘science’ behind the claimed protection simply cannot work. For unwanted rust to be attracted to a sacrificial piece of metal using positive electrical current, the negatively connected rusty metal should be in a conductive solution, so essentially the vehicle would need to be constantly submerged in water.

The undertaking with HPC and MotorOne prevents them from supplying, advertising or promoting CECI Units, or substantially similar devices, in Australia from 31 December 2015.

It also requires the distributors to write to retailers that sold their products to inform them of the undertaking and the availability of refunds to all consumers who paid hundreds of dollars per device over the period 1 January 2011 to 31 December 2013. Additionally, a notice must be published on the distributors’ websites www.defensepak.com.au and www.motoronefleet.com.

Mr Stowe said false and misleading statements had been made about CECI Units in multiple jurisdictions. This included a claim that ‘laboratory tests demonstrate a reduction in the corrosion process by as much as 80 percent effectively doubling your vehicle’s life span against rust and corrosion’.

The undertaking can be viewed at www.commerce.wa.gov.au/undertakings
                              [SIZE=2]120 GXL D4D Auto, with a 'List of Wants' greater than the 'List of Needs' greater than the 'List of Haves'
                              Nissan Patrol: Keeping Bogan's out of Toyota's since 1951[/SIZE]

Comment

Hey all,

I'm relieved to see people getting on here and exposing this nonsense for what it is.

In the industry, these devices are commonly referred to as $500 LED's, or bottles of snake oil!

Best

Mark
                                2006 GXL petrol auto. ARB deluxe bar x3 HID IPF's, ARB alloy roofrack, ARB awning, BFG A/T, Safari snorkel, Piranha breathers, Pacemaker extractors, custom Ironman 45710FE 436-569mm with Dobinsons 350, custom Ironman 45682FE 383-618mm with Dobinsons 487, Firestone kevlar 60psi airbags, 30mm extended Roadsafe links, AMTS bashplate and recovery points, ABR Flyer with Powersonic AGM.

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                                mencisport.com
                                antalya escort
                                tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                gaziantep escort
                                gaziantep escort
                                asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                                erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                                atasehir escort tuzla escort
                                sikis sex hatti
                                en iyi casino siteleri
                                casibom
                                betticket istanbulbahis
                                Working...
                                X