See less

Front axle - recondition or throw away?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front axle - recondition or throw away?

So the original inner CV axle boot split open - without me noticing. As expected, I only found out the hard way, when I heard the infamous clicking sound of a busted CV joint whilst on full lock, two weeks ago.

I wanted to change it out myself, but I didn't have the time. At my request, the mechanic gave me the old one to keep.

It is the outer CV joint that is busted, which I understand can't be repaired. Notwithstanding, should I clean the CV joint up, replace the boot and keep it for a spare on overland trips?

Okay, so an easier question.

How many of you out there have experienced a CV axle failure in a remote area and wished you had a spare to get home?

Comment

I'll take that as a no ....

Comment

Hi Salty Dog,
        I had a cv replaced and kept the old one to recondition and keep as a spare. I dont expect to take it on and trips unless I expect some really harsh conditions. For general cruising I take gear to patch a ripped cv boot only. Still a good exercise for me to recon the cv so I am more familiar with them instead of learning on the side of a track.
        cheers Eddie

Comment

Thanks Eddie, sounds like what I'm doing.

What do you carry for a CV Boot repair?

Comment

A split boot kit. It comes with the split boot, grease, boot bands, and some sort of glue. A boot band tightening tool. In addition, a length of plastic sheet,silicone tape, wire and plastic ties. More likely I would use the plastic (if the joint is clean) till I get home. The split boot kit is small and light and easy to stow somewhere, gives me some options.

Comment

Thanks mate

Comment

Working...
              X