Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Talktheroo View Post
    Andrew, tick, tick, tick.
    If you haven't changed out the seats, seals and the number one clamp to the newest design, well I would do it. The seats have now been redesigned and are now coated. Get rid of the old copper ones if you don't want big trouble. Change out your injectors every 130,000 kms unless you change the intercooler design to front mounted.
    What would be the cost to get the new seats, seals and the number one clamp John? And is this something that should be done in conjunction with new injectors (which is a few k's into the future yet for me) or have it changed seperate sooner rather than later?
    [FONT=Verdana][COLOR="#0000CD"]2008 GXL D4D Work in progress[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

hi Roo thanks for all the info you post,whats the go with the new injector clamp? just recently resealed my injectors,o8 model 50,000km,but didnt know about the new clamp
      thanks John

Comment

Originally posted by mrkrinkle View Post
        Just get a petrol... My 2000 GXL has done 318k and apart from a new clutch it's still going strong :-)

Just put 2 air lockers in it so I'm looking for another 100k yet!
        That is a very real option.
        I know on the road a petrol get similar economy to a 1kz.
        The 1kd fuel economy is much better. So there are huge fuel savings if you do the klms.
        But, if you do towing or offroad, the fuel use in the petrol can be as much as double.
        The diesel doesn't get much worse.
        So do we want to pay for fuel or injectors?
        Anth120playdo
        Banned
        Last edited by Anth120playdo; 05-01-2013, 10:10 AM.

Comment

I get back to my earlier comment, its the cost of the injectors that is the big issue here, changing injectors on diesels every 100 -150 thou is not unusual at all. Yes on the old oilers worn injectors only meant poor performance; where as in the common rail problems can be more severe, but changing injectors is quite common all diesels.

Cheers Andrew
          [COLOR="#FF0000"]So Long and Thanks for all the Fish![/COLOR]

[url=http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showthread.php?3840-AJ-s-120-Prado]MY PRADO AND DIY CAMPER TRAILER[/url]

[url=http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showthread.php?3975-AJ-s-79-series-Cruiser-Ute]MY HZJ79 Landcrusier[/url]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by AJ120 View Post
            I get back to my earlier comment, its the cost of the injectors that is the big issue here, changing injectors on diesels every 100 -150 thou is not unusual at all. Yes on the old oilers worn injectors only meant poor performance; where as in the common rail problems can be more severe, but changing injectors is quite common all diesels.

Cheers Andrew
            True! We used to always change injectors at 100k but on the D4D it gets a bit expensive!
            2011 150series GXL

Comment

With a bit of luck, someone might come up with a way of reco/changeover the d4d injectors in the future. Woudnt hold my breath though!.
              2016 1GD GXL 6 speed auto, ARB colour coded summit bar, LED driving lights, duel batteries, BF Goodrich tyres, window tint.

Comment

That is absolute BS John, gave you some back. I now expect to lose some too!!!!!

You mentioned that the injectors come out for the valve clearance check, are you absolutely sure? My 130k service is due very soon and at the 120k the Prado had a sleep over for the valves so I will follow up if new consumables were fitted. Will also ask for the seeing eye dog up the high diddle diddle as well this time.

Michael
                My 150 build - http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?27423-A-Random-approach-to-a-Bluestorm-150-GXL-D4D-automatic

Comment

If you don't mind me asking, is the points your talking about reputation where you choose approve disapprove?
                  Brad

Comment

Good on ya Roo well written......
                    outback7
                    Banned
                    Last edited by outback7; 07-01-2013, 06:24 PM.

Comment

OK John, I am going to call you on a number of issues in this thread!

Andrew, tick, tick, tick.
                      Obviously you are suggesting all us 120 D4D owners are driving ticking time bombs, as I said before there are loads of High K 120’s and Luxs without issues.

You know, that post that Chris and some of you people do, I don't know, maybe so you can sleep better at night as Chris has stated.................................I just think it's offensive to many people that have had the problems including all the people that I have helped in the past two years.
                      So if someone has an experience and posts it and it doesn’t agree with your point of view its offensive? Come on, it’s their experience and it’s posted to show their point of view and I can’t see how that is offensive at all.

I just can't stomach posts like what you just did there Chris, no or little coolant thing, etc, etc... My son said to tell you your dreaming mate, and I think he is right.
                      And not content with having one go you have another go in the same post!
                      Install a front mounted intercooler for sure.
                      This one is a worry to me, you are suggesting regularly that this is a needed modification to keep a 120 D4D going, its an expensive mod and your suggesting this on the grounds of what exactly?

This seems to me to be at best an untested hypothesis, just stick your hand in and check the heat is your suggestion, well to stick your hand in you must have the bonnet up, not a normal situation for driving, so surely with the bonnet down even with a front mounted intercooler the heat is still going to be trapped. Whether any temperature difference is measurable (or have you measured this somehow) is debatable at best IMO.

Well Chris, it sounds like a taxis situation you have there. The blocks never get to cool down and that adds to the life of them. It's the hot and cold thing that causes problems with the fuel delivery system, mainly the injectors and the other associated parts like the seats that fail. Hot, cold, hot, cold thing really.
                      Your arguments are not even consistent, is it the heat thing is or is the short running hot cold thing? Chris is at Port Hedland and in case you didn’t know it gets a bit warmish there once in a while! If heat was ever going to be the cause of the issues I would have thought vehicles in Chris’s neck of the woods would be the ones to suffer first.

If heat is an issue, and I concede that many if not most engine issues are heat related in some way; then I would have thought the fitting of a Scangauge (or similar) so you can accurately measure engine temps would be far more value than an expensive and unproven fix of fitting a FMIC.

I know from experience that the actual engine temp can rise at least 8 degrees above normal without the OE gauge moving at all, I believe it can be up to 12 degrees. As recently as a couple of days before Christmas I was towing my Camper trailer 800kms on a 47 degree day, I was able to moderate my driving as the Scangauge showed rising temps while the OE gauge read normal, far more useful if heat is the real cause IMO.

the injectors as Andrew has said, are expensive. $550.00 each, but that includes the new seals and seats, note the seats are the new design now when you buy the Denso ones.
                      Yes they are expensive, but not that expensive, it has been posted in other threads that you frequent that they can be bought for $320 ish, and yes they are the genuine ones from Denso.

And finally

Gee, I lost points for speaking my mind on this thread. That's a bit rough I think you blokes, whoever you are.
                      I always put my name to it if I am going to give someone points. Note, give someone points, not take them away, as I never do that you low life backstabbers.
                      Always a caring point of view, John.

That is just poor form whinging about getting points deducted, you suggested we are driving time bombs, you find other peoples experience offensive, you cant stomach what is being posted……….. no need for me to repeat many of the things posted above, you get the picture. Sorry John but if you can’t see why some people would be pissed off by some of what you post you need to take a good hard look at yourself, and calling people low life back stabbers is really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I personally have received a number or “negative points” and whilst I don’t necessarily agree with them all I could at least see the other persons point of view for deducting points from me, and whilst I really don’t care about the points it did make me stop and think about some of the stuff I have posted and it certainly made me not post or moderate posts in the future. Making us think about what we post is not a bad thing is it.

Only ever giving positive points is a waste of time, its like telling kids that are crap at singing they are great, then they go on a reality TV singing show and make a fool of themselves in front of the nation and are devastated when they are humiliated. We all need feedback both positive and negative, I have given plenty of positive points to people, but I have also deducted points where I thought it was worthwhile, that’s what the system is for, that’s how I think it should be used.

I won’t go on, just maybe stop and think a bit before posting some of what you do John, not everyone has met you or agrees with your point of view, although many do as you obviously have a cult following

Cheers Andrew
                      [COLOR="#FF0000"]So Long and Thanks for all the Fish![/COLOR]

[url=http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showthread.php?3840-AJ-s-120-Prado]MY PRADO AND DIY CAMPER TRAILER[/url]

[url=http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showthread.php?3975-AJ-s-79-series-Cruiser-Ute]MY HZJ79 Landcrusier[/url]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

This is bloody ridiculous.

Look at how many d4ds are on the road and how many have problems... #### all.

To say you're lucky if you don't have problems is bullshit.

It's just plain chance and bad luck if you do happen to have problems.
                        2011 150series GXL

Comment

Hmmm... 08, you might be alright there mate. Take your VIN number down to Toyota Parts and have a look.
                          Or go through this site, link : http://www.toyodiy.com/
                          John.
                          PS, I bet you don't want to have to go back in there again for a while, ha, ha. I would not worry about it to much, as long as that number one injector was fairly straight and you torqued the bolts properly. Did you do a pressure test? You can do it on most diagnostic tools, and better to be safe then sorry.
                          Hi Roo,yes checked part no's allready,clamp changes no,so will change next time.Am a diesel mech but on the earthmoving side,enjoyed doing the job,checked valves etc,was carefull with torque and changed bolt washers
                          thanks again John

Comment

I'm not unlucky that my engine blew at 73K. Actually, I am relatively lucky:
                            Lucky it didn't blow half way along the Goog's Track.
                            Lucky that when it blew, I had friends who could tow me the 1200km back to civilization.
                            Lucky that I had extended warranty.
                            Lucky there was a new spare short motor in Perth.
                            Lucky it only took 8 weeks to fix.
                            And finally, really lucky that once it was fixed, I got to go to the SA GTG and meet some top people and have a FAT time.
                            I still love my Prado.
                            Dave
                            Views expressed are mine alone and are not intended to compromise the integrity of my employer nor offend those who may read such views.
                            Bugger Bali, get out and see Australia before we sell it all to China.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ120 View Post
                              OK John, I am going to call you on a number of issues in this thread!

Obviously you are suggesting all us 120 D4D owners are driving ticking time bombs, as I said before there are loads of High K 120’s and Luxs without issues.

So if someone has an experience and posts it and it doesn’t agree with your point of view its offensive? Come on, it’s their experience and it’s posted to show their point of view and I can’t see how that is offensive at all.

And not content with having one go you have another go in the same post!

This one is a worry to me, you are suggesting regularly that this is a needed modification to keep a 120 D4D going, its an expensive mod and your suggesting this on the grounds of what exactly?

This seems to me to be at best an untested hypothesis, just stick your hand in and check the heat is your suggestion, well to stick your hand in you must have the bonnet up, not a normal situation for driving, so surely with the bonnet down even with a front mounted intercooler the heat is still going to be trapped. Whether any temperature difference is measurable (or have you measured this somehow) is debatable at best IMO.

Your arguments are not even consistent, is it the heat thing is or is the short running hot cold thing? Chris is at Port Hedland and in case you didn’t know it gets a bit warmish there once in a while! If heat was ever going to be the cause of the issues I would have thought vehicles in Chris’s neck of the woods would be the ones to suffer first.

If heat is an issue, and I concede that many if not most engine issues are heat related in some way; then I would have thought the fitting of a Scangauge (or similar) so you can accurately measure engine temps would be far more value than an expensive and unproven fix of fitting a FMIC.

I know from experience that the actual engine temp can rise at least 8 degrees above normal without the OE gauge moving at all, I believe it can be up to 12 degrees. As recently as a couple of days before Christmas I was towing my Camper trailer 800kms on a 47 degree day, I was able to moderate my driving as the Scangauge showed rising temps while the OE gauge read normal, far more useful if heat is the real cause IMO.

Yes they are expensive, but not that expensive, it has been posted in other threads that you frequent that they can be bought for $320 ish, and yes they are the genuine ones from Denso.

And finally

That is just poor form whinging about getting points deducted, you suggested we are driving time bombs, you find other peoples experience offensive, you cant stomach what is being posted……….. no need for me to repeat many of the things posted above, you get the picture. Sorry John but if you can’t see why some people would be pissed off by some of what you post you need to take a good hard look at yourself, and calling people low life back stabbers is really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I personally have received a number or “negative points” and whilst I don’t necessarily agree with them all I could at least see the other persons point of view for deducting points from me, and whilst I really don’t care about the points it did make me stop and think about some of the stuff I have posted and it certainly made me not post or moderate posts in the future. Making us think about what we post is not a bad thing is it.

Only ever giving positive points is a waste of time, its like telling kids that are crap at singing they are great, then they go on a reality TV singing show and make a fool of themselves in front of the nation and are devastated when they are humiliated. We all need feedback both positive and negative, I have given plenty of positive points to people, but I have also deducted points where I thought it was worthwhile, that’s what the system is for, that’s how I think it should be used.

I won’t go on, just maybe stop and think a bit before posting some of what you do John, not everyone has met you or agrees with your point of view, although many do as you obviously have a cult following

Cheers Andrew

Now, now children kiss and make up......lol

Comment

Originally posted by shamozzle View Post
                                G'day D4DForme,

After reading everything about these D4D motors and hearing about all the dramas with injectors and holes in pistons and how susceptible the engines are to water ingress in the fuel system, etc, I thought I'd gone and bought myself a time bomb waiting to surprise me with a rude shock, and an expensive repair bill one day. However everything I know about these motors is changing and it's all because if one thing.

You see my employer uses these motors exclusively in their fleet vehicles and work hacks on site. Now the average lifespan for one of these Hilux's on site running the D4D's isn't going to set any records as rust and metal fatigue take their toll on them long before engine failure does.

Take for instance the average vehicle used on a shift roster. It gets transferred from person to person and runs quite a bit out of the 24 hours in a day. A lot of this idling. Then being drivin in some pretty harsh conditions. This might not seem pretty unusual, but then you come to things like having the vehicles driven around with no water in the radiator, which has happened a few times. I've seen two vehicles at work that have been driven for at least 20 minutes to half an hour without any coolant in them and still surviving without any issues.

One particular vehicle I was driving had the water in fuel filter light come on. Now I took the vehicle back to the workshop and organised maintenence on it. The following shift was driving this vehicle around, and then I was driving the vehicle around. This was going on for some weeks before the problem was finally sorted out, but there was no catastrophic failure of the injection system or the pump.

Next the injectors on this particular vehicle have the death rattle so obviously described by others on this forum, and its had the death rattle for near on 80,000km. I've heard all the stories of people pissing in the fuel tanks with some cars. Others thrashing the shit out of them and doing all sorts of things with them, I know Hilux's are a lot tougher than people might think, and all this with many of the vehicles carrying many faults that should have stopped the D4D a long time ago.

I kept asking myself, Why the hell are these motors still running when they cop this kind of abuse and neglect coupled with poor servicing? The answer is I don't know. But perhaps these engines can take a lot more than what we're led to believe, and it can't just be a case of "we got the lucky batch of engines" because we're talking about multiple vehicles here.

Everything I've experienced with this motor in a work scenario doesn't make any sense at all. Everything I've learned about the D4D and its finicky injection system, etc, dispels everything I've learnt about how vulnerable these motors are. It just doesn't make any sense. It doesn't mean that I'm gonna piss in my fuel tank if I need that bit of extra fuel to get me to the next fuel stop, but it has stopped me worrying about some of the problems that may occur with this motor. I've always taken excellent care of my vehicles and that's not going to change, but knowing what the work vehicles cop and knowing that they take that punishment and still run makes me sleep a little easier in knowing I've made a good choice.

Cheers,

Chris.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mate, thanks for your post. Certainly bought some balance to the discussion. However, I know for a fact there have been a lot of problems with injectors in the Hilux because of the top mounted inter cooler. Also I know a diesel fitter in Marybough that told me he has made a lot of money replacing injectors on the 120 Prado. So, from people in the trade saying that there is a problem with the Hilux and the 120 Prado with injectors makes me think there is a problem and sticking ones head in the sand won't fix it. There are some great posts on this thread that certainly will help to fix some of the problems. Oh, by the way, you stated that a car ran without coolant......mate, do think that was a bit of a porky?.........lol

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                                mencisport.com
                                antalya escort
                                tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                gaziantep escort
                                gaziantep escort
                                asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                                erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                                atasehir escort tuzla escort
                                sikis sex hatti
                                en iyi casino siteleri
                                casibom
                                betticket istanbulbahis
                                Working...
                                X