Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mav - little comfort - but if the noise has "lessened" then you probably havent got to the stage where the top of the piston has become perforated. Id imagine when that happens, you could kiss goodnight your sump - not to mention other things that may go "kerpow".

Id still be asking (if you havent already done so) a Toyo dealer - what are the impacts from "a faulty injector" - even showing them that picture and asking them to "pls explain" should help them if they become a little lost for words.

BTW - as a side issue - in my quest for getting LPG injection system fitted, i had a manufacturer provide the following regarding "bad LPG" - so bad fuel in this country is not just related to diesel...

names removed..."You may have heard of or seen a brown jelly like substance blocking up the XYZ System and other LPG installations.

As far as we can determine Shell and BP add glycol to their LPG product stream to stop any water freezing in the pipeline.

This additive is supposedly removed before the LPG raw feed gets sent out to suppliers and service stations.

It has been reported that the facilities in both Longford Plant and Altona have been loading autogas containing excessive amounts of this propylene additive over the past few months.

Reports are that 4% is the maximum allowable by Shell, but that this specification has been exceeded many times over. Even 4% is too much as far as we are concerned.

Recently, the Herald/Sun Cars Guide pointed the finger at Shell saying they should be made accountable for the “repair” bill on customers vehicles.

On the grape vine it has been mentioned that Shell have excess propylene they need to get rid of from another process and so they blend it into their LPG to get rid of it.

This propylene is what’s causing the excessive residue seen in LPG Systems recently.

Even though XYZ has in the past repaired this issue under warranty, we can no longer accept “dirty” LPG as a warrantable item.

The owners of affected vehicles should contact Shell or BP and see to it that they pick up the bill from their local installer to clean out the LPG System. Shell or BP will then need to fix the problem their end and not dump the problem onto consumers.

SHELL Customer Service Centre 131618

BP Customer Service Centre 1300 130 027"

BTW#2 - i recall seeing a very small add in Adelaide's Advertiser a week or so ago from Shell.....which correlates to the above. In addition, a number of our dedicated LPG fleet vehicles have become stuck and have had to be towed to their respective make's dealership service centre for repair. Further testimony that Aust's fuels are not necessary the best (and once again, not just diesel is appears).
    Easter-08 White GXL D4D Auto - delivered in near record time (5d) from placement of order. Has turned into a "Bermuda" or "Swiss fund" where $ get lost or converted into mods/accessories.

Comment

• Originally posted by wolfgangk
      These are the sad pictures of a 3.0 D4D Prado engine suffering a dripping injector:

I think the engine had 80.000km before it had a massive performance loss. It's an extreme example and hopefully an isolated case.

The full story here (sorry, in german)

http://www.forumprofi4.de/forum1676/die ... -t543.html

Wolfgang
      Hi Wolkgang,
      I also have seen many of this type of defect caused by dribbling fuel injectors, overfueling etc. not nice at all. :cry:
      07 Upgrade GXL D4D, Manual, Dune,Sov Bar, BFG's, SG11, Redark dual Batts, Extensive Aux wiring, Stebel, LED stop tails, IPF HID's (my mod), 240V Inv, ARB Comp, GME UHF,TPMS, Safari snorkel, GPS,Hilux washers, 40l Engel in 30% pas pos,homemade A/C cond protection plate, polyairs.

Comment

• Just had our May 2007 D4D Prado into the Hobart dealer over the last two days to check out the diesel rattle and do a 40K service. Had quite a discussion with them about the rattle. Apparently, the rattle is more common in the southern states of Australia, particularly Tasmania. It is suspected that it is related to colder temperatures and / or different winter diesel mixes. They were able to observe the rattle. There was no denial of the situation and talked quite openly about it.

Here is the written report they gave us:

"Checked vehicle for knock in the engine. Connected IT2 tester and checked for codes. No codes evident. Checked injector feed back values. Found No. 2 injector the highest @ -1.8mm which is within specs. Spec is .5 to 5 either way which tells us the injector is caused by winter mix fuel. Toyota is working on an engine management reflash."

I find the last comment interesting. Looks like there could be a recall coming up.

The winter mix theory could be so in our case as the rattle started in March 2008 at 30000 Kms. They did say that additives make the problem worse.

We are just about to leave on a trip to all mainland states over a six week period. It will be interesting to see how the rattle behaves as we go north.

Ron.
        2007 D4D Manual GX, ARB bar, Coopers, Dual Batteries, Codan HF Radio with rear HF Bracket, 2M VHF, 70cms UHF, UHF CB, APRS, Tom Tom GPS, Rally Computer, Waeco Fridge, In-built Water Tank.

Comment

• The information given to me was that there were less additives in Diesel during the winter months, so contradicts the information offered to you.

I also had a discussion regarding the new DCAT diesel technology and this engine will not be introduced into Oz until our fuel sulphur content is reduced to a maximum of 150ppm. Not sure what the current standards are (I think 550ppm) and I think the next stage for reduction of sulphur content is in 2010 at 350ppm so the next model Prado will not initially come with the DCAT.
          06 GXL D4D, 6spd, Snorkel, ARB bar, XS900 50w HID lights, 55W HID Headlight upgrades, T/bar, 7" GPS, QStarz data logger, 52L Bushman Fridge, Premier winch, Sandgrabbas, GME TX3440, AE4705 antenna, Scangauge II, Dual Batteries, Aero bars & rack, Drawers, 2" Ironman/Rancho/King lift, Under bonnet compressor, Black ducks, Voltage booster, Rear table, AVE TPMS,

Comment

• I should have made myself clearer about the additives. The dealer wasn't referring to the additives put into the diesel by the fuel companies. He was referring to after market additives put in by the owners of the vehicles.

Ron.
            2007 D4D Manual GX, ARB bar, Coopers, Dual Batteries, Codan HF Radio with rear HF Bracket, 2M VHF, 70cms UHF, UHF CB, APRS, Tom Tom GPS, Rally Computer, Waeco Fridge, In-built Water Tank.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacto
              The information given to me was that there were less additives in Diesel during the winter months, so contradicts the information offered to you.

I also had a discussion regarding the new DCAT diesel technology and this engine will not be introduced into Oz until our fuel sulphur content is reduced to a maximum of 150ppm. Not sure what the current standards are (I think 550ppm) and I think the next stage for reduction of sulphur content is in 2010 at 350ppm so the next model Prado will not initially come with the DCAT.

The link below contains the current standards for diesel fuel in Australia:
              http://www.environment.gov.au/atmosp...sel/index.html
              According to this info we'll be down to a sulfur content of 10ppm come Jan 1st next year (down from 50ppm at the moment)...
              White 2008 Prado GX D4D Auto w/ Option Pack 2 + a few additions...

Comment

• Interesting Stuff,

Well Add me to the list, my D4D started to rattle about 2-3months ago, in the mornings for about 5 mins until engine gets warm!

Talking to a toyota mech who said that there has been a few probs with the D4D's. Two engines he has seen, from Hilux's had holes blow in the pistons, (just like the previous pictures), and probs with the knocking.

He said that toyota are working on the problem and a fix, or attempt to fix would be out soon. He seemed to think that the computer might need reprogramming to reduce the fuel mixture as too much fuel might be getting pushed through, therefore increase compression and causing a knock!.

I am not too mechanically minded, however sounds good in theory!

Secondly, if the matter is not resolved, we could also petition

1. Toyota

Failing resolution

2. Minister for Fair Trading, or Motor Vehicle Repair Industry Authority.

about this matter.

Although i do believe that Toyota will come to the party !
                2007 Prado D4D GXL - Waeco 50litre - Dual Batteries 105ah- Redarc Smart Start - Customline Camper Trailer(3rd 105ah battery) - 2 inch Ironman lift kit - BFG's 265/70-17

Wish List (Snorkel - car topper boat with 5hp)

Comment

• Well, mine is back at the dealer, booked in for a 3 day holiday, so they can "upload engine data" again, refer all off to Toyota, again, and they will tell me no more than that! They have given me a corolla loan car for 3 days so they hopefully expect after the "uploading'"data exercise all over again... that perhaps they will actually DO something for the rattle? Anyway.. watch this space... rattle on...
                  2010 D4D GXL auto.: 275/65/17 BFG's /ARB Colour Coded Deluxe Bar / IPF fogs / IPF XD Driving lights / OME Suspension / ARB Towbar / Electric Brake Controller/ Safari Snorkel / "Clark Rubber" Mudflap extensions / GME UHF with town and country antennas / RMW Seat covers & Dash Mat / Full window tint/ ARB~Outback Modular Drawers and Fridge Slider/Cargo Barrier/ ARB Dual Battery Installation with rear outlets/HD Rhino Roof Racks..

Comment

• Rattle

Having read all this,the real issue may well be the fact that Aus diesel(except BP perhaps ) doesnt have a higher cetane rating as in Europe (55 vs our 46 to 50) except Perth has BP ultimate(55)Result in Aus,bad ignition!
                    See Google Aus Search "Cetane Improver"...first article by Ethyl Corporation
                    I have resolved to use the Amsoil Cetane Boost in both my diesel cars...this appears to be the major chemical used in our fuels to adjust cetane anyway....comments sought after others have read the article :idea:

Comment

• i have just been on the phone for nearly 45mins to a guy in Qld - "Rob Doring". I must say - he knows a thing or 2 about fuel (not just diesel - ULP, PULP and LPG) as well.

i cannot write down everything he has said but bottomline - as the world's fuel is getting more $ the quality is also going down. Apparently sulphur IS good for fuel for lubrication and anti fungal growth etc. Also - the CRD approach is not really good nowadays based on current fuel quality - period. "Sweet light crude" = good base oil is harder to get than most of the world's oil nowadays which aint sweet light crude and is higher in sulphur content and needs more refining to get to world spec of low ppm sulphur - and that has a detrimental effect on the fuel (goes off really quick).

there are apparently some large truck and power gen companies stuck in court with companies for premature engine, injector failure etc as well as engine sump oil going off with "black sludge" - which is very fine carbon dust being suspended. wow - more info to think about. for anyone with a spare 40 or so mins, this gus offers a lot of info.......take it with a nice long black to make most of the time!
                      Easter-08 White GXL D4D Auto - delivered in near record time (5d) from placement of order. Has turned into a "Bermuda" or "Swiss fund" where $ get lost or converted into mods/accessories.

Comment

• Well. Jeezuz H C. This thread keeps getting better and better.

To top it all off, I'm fairly sure I've just suffered my first bout of this engine knock this weekend. Up until now, the D4D has been smooth as a baby's A...... . Got in it to go to work this morning and :shock: Whoah! :shock: something wasn't right. Started ok. Got down the road just a little and I suddenly noticed the engine was running much rougher than normal. Hoped to god it was something else but from all your descriptions it doesn't look good. Only had it for 2, maybe 3 minutes. Stopped at an intersection, took off and the rattle was gone. It was very disconcerting. Thought I was being paranoid but something was definitely going on. Had rough vibrations coming up through the steering wheel and all. Crap...... just..... crap. I really don't need this right now. As if any of us did.

I've only EVER put BP Ultimate in it from the one fuel station. 8,200 K's on the clock.

I'll see how it goes, was 7 degrees on my way to work this morning so it was definitely cold. Can't frikking believe it...............!
                        [b]#[/b] 2007 D4D GX [b]#[/b] Full Privacy Tint [b]#[/b] [color=#FF0000][b] Flinders Red [/b][/color] [b]#[/b] 2 x HID LightForce 240 Blitz [b]#[/b] ARB Winch Bar [b]#[/b] Alloy Rims [b]#[/b] Hilux Washer Jets [b]#[/b] Stebel Nautilus Compact Truck Horn [b]#[/b] ARB Alloy Roof Rack [b]#[/b] ARB Dual Battery System [b]#[/b] Charcoal Rough Country Canvas Seat Covers [b]#[/b] [color=#0000FF]Suspension:[/color]Autocraft Bilstein Shocks/Struts & Ridepro Coils [b]#[/b] [color=#0000FF]L.E.D[/color] Side Marker Lights [b]#[/b] ARB Onboard Air [b]#[/b] Pirelli Scorpion LT ATR 265/70's [b]#[/b][color=#0080FF]--Custom 3"exhaust---[/color]

Comment

• IP - did you notice the "roughness" at idle - ie: stopped after driving for a min or 2?

Likewise - i notice in cold conditions (8degC according to my temp gauge this morning) - after a min or 2 and as i head to an intersection and "give-way" - my car tends to idle quite roughly - almost reminding me of the days of having a petrol carby car and either one of the spark plugs was fouled or the auto-choke was not doing its stuff. eitheray - a very rough idle - but not really any louder. Oh yeah, i have been using my idle-up as well - it doesnt seem to do much though as when i was at this intersection, it was idling at about 700rpm and prior to that about 1000 or so.

i havent "yet" mentioned this to toyota. I have done 7050kms.

not that it may help or hinder - but im looking into some "tru blu" fuel additives as well as good'ol Morey's diesel fuel conditioner. regardless of what Toyo say, apparently "we as the drivers" are responsible for the fuel - so if our fuel is sheit - these products are supposed to make it better.

Comment

• For anyones interest... mine has been with dealer for 2 days. Service lass called this afternoon to say... "data has been downloadedand sent to toyota... we have another one here that we are replacing injectors on, so we are awaiting confirmation from Toyota on what to do with yours. We may need to keep it for a few more days till Toyota confirm with us. " I guess at least thats SOMETHING.... however... I cant help thinking.. if this problem IS injectors... and i have now 40K on mine... and the knock starts at about 25-30K ... then a fresh set of injectors are installed... everything runs just fine for another 30K... till... ahaaaaaa.. THEN WARRANTY RUNS OUT.... THEN where will i be????
                            2010 D4D GXL auto.: 275/65/17 BFG's /ARB Colour Coded Deluxe Bar / IPF fogs / IPF XD Driving lights / OME Suspension / ARB Towbar / Electric Brake Controller/ Safari Snorkel / "Clark Rubber" Mudflap extensions / GME UHF with town and country antennas / RMW Seat covers & Dash Mat / Full window tint/ ARB~Outback Modular Drawers and Fridge Slider/Cargo Barrier/ ARB Dual Battery Installation with rear outlets/HD Rhino Roof Racks..

Comment

• Originally posted by masso
                              For anyones interest... mine has been with dealer for 2 days. Service lass called this afternoon to say... "data has been downloadedand sent to toyota... we have another one here that we are replacing injectors on, so we are awaiting confirmation from Toyota on what to do with yours. We may need to keep it for a few more days till Toyota confirm with us. " I guess at least thats SOMETHING.... however... I cant help thinking.. if this problem IS injectors... and i have now 40K on mine... and the knock starts at about 25-30K ... then a fresh set of injectors are installed... everything runs just fine for another 30K... till... ahaaaaaa.. THEN WARRANTY RUNS OUT.... THEN where will i be????
                              This is exactly what I was told would occur masso. The installation of new injectors is not a fix for the problem and it will in all likelihood return. Mine started to go bad after only 10000km so I could be right back with the same problem not long after the new injectors are fitted cause I am driving to Newcastle from Adelaide then back to Alice Springs.
                              Roll on the 2010 Pradopoint GTG
                              Pradopoint GTG website:
                              [url="http://www.pradopointgtg.com"]http://www.pradopointgtg.com[/url] (final website location on its own domain)
                              My Weather Station In Alice
                              [url="http://www.alicespringsweather.a60.us/"]http://www.alicespringsweather.a60.us/[/url]
                              My photo website:
                              [url="http://centralian.redbubble.com/"]http://centralian.redbubble.com/[/url]

[img]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/hayesy72/logo-1.jpg[/img]

Comment

• Guys - read my post a few posts ago re: re-occurring problem post warranty period. Bottomline - consider yourselves "lucky" to have the rattle problem logged within warranty as if it re-occurs anytime later - the industry practice is to keep warranty on it - period. Kind of like a "re-occuring" work injury for work cover etc.

That all said, i just purchased a $9.99 bottle of "Diesel Power" fuel conditioner - seems our fuel quality is sooooo bad that the lack of sulphur in fuel is known to stuff up injectors - its just a matter of time. this bottle supposedly treats 1000 litres (enough for ~10,000kms) - not bad for a 250ml bottle! Not only that - it kills any fungal growth and also improves efficiency. If it does nothing more than what it states it does and i get the rattle - then not much gained - then again if it puts it off - entirely - then it has turned out to be a cheap mod and something Toyotal should look into - not to mention other car manufacturers.

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                                mencisport.com
                                antalya escort
                                tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                gaziantep escort
                                gaziantep escort
                                asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                                erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                                atasehir escort tuzla escort
                                sikis sex hatti
                                en iyi casino siteleri
                                casibom
                                betticket istanbulbahis
                                Working...
                                X