Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decent Full Length Roof Rack Recommendations

Hi,

Has anyone got a recommendation for an affordable yet decent full length roof rack for a 120? The ideal would be the Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform on Backbone mounting, but at $1400+ it's not happening. I've seen the 4wd Supacentre type ones are a lot cheaper but i'm hoping to do the Gibb River Road next year and am after something that can handle a fair load over rough terrain. I'd plan on having a second spare stored up there along with awning, two swags, water pipe and other stuff so I don't think a no name Chinese basket would be suitable...

Does anything like this exist for perhaps sub $1000?

Thanks

Just watch out for anything made of steel, they are heavy and eat into your weight allowance very quickly. I have a Tracklander 1800. Great bit of gear and very light but also expensive. Maybe keep an eye on gumtree for a second hand alumium rack?
    My 150 build - http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?27423-A-Random-approach-to-a-Bluestorm-150-GXL-D4D-automatic

Comment

Rhino rack also do a simple flat mesh rack for about $200 plus mounting hardware for either the roof rails with cross bars or the heavier duty cross bars.

Comment

Super cheap have the large prorack voyager basket for $550, this with 3 bars should keep you under $1000 depending on what bars you get. I have the smaller basket on 2 s wing bars and love it (fits my swag perfectly) and is very lightweight being alloy. The only thing with the s wing bars is you need to get a fitting kit as the bars are curved.

Comment

I've had a 1500x1200 Rhino alloy tray that has stood up extremely well to years of abuse, including a punishing 20,000km outback trip with a moderately heavy load. You have to screw the alloy tray together so in principle it shoudn't be as sturdy as the pioneer tray (which I think is one piece), but so far its never shown any signs of fatigue or looseness.

Comment

I've had a 1500x1200 Rhino alloy tray that has stood up extremely well to years of abuse, including a punishing 20,000km outback trip with a moderately heavy load - recovery gear, tools, spare water, etc. You have to screw the alloy tray together so in principle it shoudn't be as sturdy as the pioneer tray (which I think is one piece), but so far its never shown any signs of fatigue or looseness.

Comment

If you go with roof bars get the Toyota ones. They are genuine rhino/thule aero ones (don't remember exactly which) but cheaper than aftermarket ones.

i always worry about the cheap ones for remote touring. What happens if it breaks, where do you put your gear with no rack? I would look for second hand quality one if possible.

Cheers, Nova

Comment

Yeah, i've already got the standard three bar setup installed. They seem ok, but could be wider and the fittings themselves are made of nylon (albeit with a steel bolt to secure them) which is a bit of a concern.

As for the rack itself, i'd need something strong enough to take a spare tyre among other things so would probably steer away froma basket type one. Cheers for the replies, will keep an eye out...

Comment

If they are the Toyota/Rhino rack the bars will be fine. I have these and have had zero issues on multiple outback/desert trips. I have a basket attached to the 3 bars. Likewise no issues ever and I have a spare wheel, an awning and 4 maxtracks up there. Keep in mind the fact that there is a weight limit imposed by Toyota which will apply whatever the rack maker says - 80 kg I think- check handbook. I suspect that people pay way too much for racks that are capable of carrying way more than you are allowed.

Comment

and the quoted weight is always a static weight, so when yr roof rack is getting pounded on corrugations, weight goes out the window anyways

wait till xmas or easter, rhino have a 20 or 25% of sale

i waited and saved

Comment

Working...
                    X