Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dust Leaks

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by brogers View Post
    I had a 2010 GXL Prado, and always ran A/C on Fresh and covered many thousands of km on dusty roads, and the only real dust issue was dust that collected in the channel above the rear door which would fall down int the rear area if you opened the door before sweeping some of the dust away. We didn't get much dust inside the car at all to be honesty but definitely used the air con on FRESH unless a road train went past, then on RECIRC until the air ahead cleared. There must be an opening somewhere that is letting that amount of dust inside.
    I do this, AC on and open, fan on 2 or more, only dust along top of rear door. My longest trip is from Windorah, Birdsville, Lake Ayre to Marree, no problem.

    Try this, hope it helps you.

    (ps: any extras fitted that poke through a grommet or two?)

    Comment


    • #17
      Mine leaks like a sieve. Not only from the rear door, the jack compartment and the fold down seats, but also thru the side door seals and window seals. It was really bad brand new, got a bit better as everything wore in. I still feel it's unacceptable, however as previously stated by others, Toyota don't.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Hugsie View Post
        Mine leaks like a sieve. Not only from the rear door, the jack compartment and the fold down seats, but also thru the side door seals and window seals. It was really bad brand new, got a bit better as everything wore in. I still feel it's unacceptable, however as previously stated by others, Toyota don't.
        you forgot to mention they also leak at the door release handles and the aircon vents.

        Comment


        • #19
          When I was running trailer wiring below the back door i noticed open holes in part of the body work (as viewed from underneath), that access a channel that runs across the back of the vehicle and into the compartments on either side (I poked cables into the holes from underneath and they ended up in the jack compartment). Looked like they were designed to suck dust into the vehicle. i just taped them over. Can take pics if anyone's interested.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by rpn View Post
            When I was running trailer wiring below the back door i noticed open holes in part of the body work (as viewed from underneath), that access a channel that runs across the back of the vehicle and into the compartments on either side (I poked cables into the holes from underneath and they ended up in the jack compartment). Looked like they were designed to suck dust into the vehicle. i just taped them over. Can take pics if anyone's interested.
            Thereís a few post on this recently with pics from where the jack is... seams a lot of th3 time the grommets is pushed out when routing the wires for the tow bar.... pretty ordinary workmenship if thatís 5he case
            2018 VX Prado

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by nudgebar View Post

              you forgot to mention they also leak at the door release handles and the aircon vents.
              Yep, I did.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by rpn View Post
                When I was running trailer wiring below the back door i noticed open holes in part of the body work (as viewed from underneath), that access a channel that runs across the back of the vehicle and into the compartments on either side (I poked cables into the holes from underneath and they ended up in the jack compartment). Looked like they were designed to suck dust into the vehicle. i just taped them over. Can take pics if anyone's interested.
                My 90 has a similar channel with the very large bung holes, about 65mm diameter. Previous owner had stuffed foam chunks into the channel and she's always stayed dust free inside. I wasn't happy with that idea (in case they got wet and promoted rust) so I glued rubber across the holes. No dust in the old girl despite the Gibb and Bungle Bungles etc. Rear door handle would be the only leaker now, takes dust inside and clogs up the workings.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by geoffmc1 View Post
                  Captain,

                  Behind the rear bumper on both sides are vent flaps. They are there to assist with pressure equalizing when closing the doors with the windows closed. They also do a good job of letting dust in and water if the rear end is in deep. These flaps are flimsy rubber that have a tendency to stay open when moving. I replaced mine with heave duty rubber with several small holes punched to assist pressure relief and totally transforms the amount of dust sucked into the car.

                  Yo need to remove the rear bumper to get at them, which is a fiddly job, but totally worthwhile. PM me if you want some pics.

                  cheers
                  Geoff
                  Iíd be keen to see the pics and get some guidance on removing the plastic bumper... ps your pm limit is exceeded
                  2018 VX Prado

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Noticed the same of dust coming into the rear on my 150. Turned on the ignition, fan on max with all windows and doors closed and had feel under the car at the rear. You can feel a draft coming out of both sides behind the wheel where the rubber flaps are. There is also air coming out of the holes in the channel that is going across that has some holes without and some with grommets. The location of the rubber flap vents so low and behind wheel turbulence is not helping, but at least with fan on full and fresh, air is going in the right direction. On the 90 series the exhaust louvers were fairly high up, liked that arrangement better.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Have been doing some thinking ... What about jamming some sheet open cell foam up between the gap of inner skin and the bumper when anticipating dusty conditions? I would imagine just to introduce enough of a flow restriction for cabin pressure to build up even at lower fan settings, having fan on full is a bit noisy and requires the aircon to work really hard. Would like to see pics what the standard flaps look like, should someone had the bumper off. Not keen to remove bumper if I don't have to and perhaps brake something.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        If you have experienced D4D engine failure, please complete this survey ​http://goo.gl/forms/bpJSYjq0Zx
                        My Rig Build up

                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          If you have experienced D4D engine failure, please complete this survey ​http://goo.gl/forms/bpJSYjq0Zx
                          My Rig Build up

                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by geoffmc1 View Post
                            Captain,

                            Behind the rear bumper on both sides are vent flaps. They are there to assist with pressure equalizing when closing the doors with the windows closed. They also do a good job of letting dust in and water if the rear end is in deep. These flaps are flimsy rubber that have a tendency to stay open when moving. I replaced mine with heave duty rubber with several small holes punched to assist pressure relief and totally transforms the amount of dust sucked into the car.

                            Yo need to remove the rear bumper to get at them, which is a fiddly job, but totally worthwhile. PM me if you want some pics.

                            cheers
                            Geoff
                            Hi Geoff, I'd be interested to know a bit more about the modification. Does the rubber you replaced still act as a flap or have you secured it in place with a few small holes? I'm sick of the dust entering into my 150 from these vents!
                            Thanks, Crack.

                            Comment

                            canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                            antalya escort
                            pendik escort
                            antalya escort
                            sex vidio
                            antalya escort
                            gaziantep escort
                            asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                            Working...
                            X