Tricky off road question ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tricky off road question ????

I have taken my Kakadu through some four wheel drive tracks etc and so far i am very impressed ...BUT here's the six million dollar question ....You go out for a day in some rough terrain rutted out hard stuff a bit of sand etc do you use multi terrain select (mogal mode etc) or use the old fashion diff lock and centre diff lock ?
    2010 Kakadu with all the usual stuff.... Build up thread below
    [url]http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?21930-Daz-s-2010-Kakadu-is-getting-some-lovin&highlight=daz%27s+kakadu[/url]

Re: Tricky off road question ????

Originally posted by KAKADAZ
    I have taken my Kakadu through some four wheel drive tracks etc and so far i am very impressed ...BUT here's the six million dollar question ....You go out for a day in some rough terrain rutted out hard stuff a bit of sand etc do you use multi terrain select (mogal mode etc) or use the old fashion diff lock and centre diff lock ?
    Learn to drive without all the electronics gear and use some driver skills. You will become a better driver for it rather than just a passanger. The centre diff will be used regardless of your multi select option if you want it in 4wd otherwise you are basically just driving a Kluger. I would love to buy a 200 series but want one with out the crap buttons that take the intelligence out of off road driving. Sorry if my comments are a bit harsh but I think it is important for the driver to be the driver.
    [COLOR=#000080]Nick[/COLOR]
    [URL="http://pradopoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5308&sid=bcbebadd30673f1ac72047e6e8a93d79"]2006 TD GXL Evolution & Trips[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Schaffer/prado][IMG]http://www.fuelly.com/smallsig-metric/45547.png[/IMG][/URL]
    [img]http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Schaffer71/Avatar/CooperCreek.jpg[/img] [img]http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Schaffer71/Avatar/BendlebyRanges.jpg[/img]

Comment

well put schaffer, there are drivers and drovers, with the electric stuff you will be a drover, driving without the aids will only benifit you in the long run. im not saying the electronic aids are a bad thing, they are great in an emergency when it all goes pear shaped, driving alnatural ie with no electronic stuff will give you a better feel for you car, ie wheel placement, grip in different terrains, momentum to tackle different situations, but im not sure if the kaka can do it with out all the gadgets. you might need to pull a few fuses to find out. my 120gx aint got much in electronic aids, only centre diff lock ( like they all have) and a rear locker. thats my 2 cents. cheers samo
      had an 03 gx 120 with some gear now got a 2013 bt 50 GT auto some ARB gear.

Comment

I have owned a few fourbies and have driven a fair bit off road so I can hold my own BUT if a car comes with off road traction devices you might as well use them. Why get stuck in a bad position trying to be a driver not a drover ? Most articles in magazines have commented on how capable the 150 is even without the multi terrain aids (yes maybe even more capable than the awesome 120) but I wanted to see if anyone has experience in using the multi terrain vs just using the rear diff lock etc ?
        [url]http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?21930-Daz-s-2010-Kakadu-is-getting-some-lovin&highlight=daz%27s+kakadu[/url]

Comment

good point kakadaz. cheers samo

Comment

As a new member to PradoPoint and new to 4x4ing I'd have to say some of the attitude on this forum isn't all that welcoming nor constructive. Driver or Drover, whatever you may call it; if a person wants to get from point A to point B in the safest possible way with the least possible strain on the car, it shouldn't matter whether electronics are used. What's probably worse is a "driver" not knowing the potential of the vehicles electronics. Sure, off road skills may be developed by driving without electronics, but there is a time and place for that.

Thanks for posting the question KAKADAZ I'm also curious of the answer. I've seen some videos of the LC120 in ARB's youtube videos comparing airlockers/LSD/traction control. I don't know how the multi terrain programming works, but I cant imagine that it could be too different to that of the LC120. Although I don't have the experience, seeing the video (yes it probably is biased), I'd have to choose the rear diff locks in your situation. Here are links to the youtube video:
            1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2wkW05Pc6c
            2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNFacsKn ... re=channel

Cheers
            [COLOR="black"][b]William[/b][/COLOR]
            [SIZE="1"][COLOR="gray"]Prado 150 GXL D4D Auto in White![/COLOR][/SIZE]
            [url=http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?18483-William-s-150-GXL-D4D][U][COLOR="blue"][SIZE="1"]My Rig Build-up[/SIZE][/COLOR][/U][/url]

Comment

I'd have to say some of the attitude on this forum isn't all that welcoming nor constructive
              well i find the above quote somewhat wrong. we are all able to comment and put our point of view accross, if we all had the same opinion this place and life in general would be very boring. Im not saying the 150 with its electronic aids isnt a great vehicle, its just i prefer the older way.
              also if you have a flick through ,Total posts 114193 • Total topics 8095 you will find heaps of constructive information. cheers samo

Comment

jeez I feel stupid. what electronic aids? I have a 120 gxl and a month old 150gxl - I have had a weird sound a fair few times which I assume is some sort of electronic aid, but on Fraser I turned off Traction control most of the time - whatever that is?

I will use electronic aids if it still makes the driving experience enjoyable. however I do enjoy the simple spinningtyres, etc. - the basics.

does my 150gxl have electronic aids ? i just assumed same as my 120gxl
                150 GXL Diesel (white) 09/10. ARB Deluxe bullbar colour coded, Lightforce 240 (HID), Winch, Tuffdog suspension, Mickey Thomson ATZ, tint, UHF, airbags, compressor, dual batteries,... and more stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by cookymonsta
                  The electronic aids discussed here is only available in the short wheel base ZR and Kakadu.

Comment

Originally posted by samo
                    well i find the above quote somewhat wrong. we are all able to comment and put our point of view accross, if we all had the same opinion this place and life in general would be very boring. Im not saying the 150 with its electronic aids isnt a great vehicle, its just i prefer the older way.
                    also if you have a flick through ,Total posts 114193 • Total topics 8095 you will find heaps of constructive information. cheers samo
                    I think you may have misunderstood me. I never said there wasn't any constructive information nor did I say people weren’t entitled to their opinions. If you read what I wrote again the keyword in there is "some" and I wasn't just referring to constructive comments alone, but the way they are conveyed. I just don't like people who put others down for asking a question, there's just nothing constructive about it and others are discouraged to post questions in the future. Not all of us are experienced 4x4 heroes, though some may claim they are. In any case, I'm actually quite impressed with the amount of knowledge people share on this forum and although I am only most active in the 150series forums I could say 99% of the 114193 posts are constructive and welcoming...

I will use electronic aids if it still makes the driving experience enjoyable. however I do enjoy the simple spinningtyres, etc. - the basics.
                    Exactly my point mate, there's a time and place, and fraser island would be a place you would develop your skills – I’ve seen you go well equipped with other 4x4s that can recover you should things go south. However, say you were on a camping trip and simply had to get to the campsite, but faced some rough terrain you had to get through – without a recovery car/proper gear. I've been in a situation where a friend of mine had through some mud and slipped into a ditch which got him bogged so bad that recovery wasn’t possible. Would the electronics have helped? I’m not sure. But what I do remember is him trying out all the electronics on the car after being severely bogged. It was a Kluger grande 4x4 – not a proper 4by, but it was a camping trip after all. We ended up having to do a 45min hike through slippery mud and carrying the camping gear to the campsite and recovering the car the next morning using shovels.
                    Also, yes the 150GXL does have some electronic aids; however the ones in question are only available on the ZR and Kakadu – as amts stated.

Back on topic, here's another neat youtube video of the 150's multi terrain select:
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szIm_J9V ... 1&index=39

Cheers
                    [COLOR="black"][b]William[/b][/COLOR]
                    [SIZE="1"][COLOR="gray"]Prado 150 GXL D4D Auto in White![/COLOR][/SIZE]
                    [url=http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?18483-William-s-150-GXL-D4D][U][COLOR="blue"][SIZE="1"]My Rig Build-up[/SIZE][/COLOR][/U][/url]

Comment

Originally posted by William
                      I think you may have misunderstood me. I never said there wasn't any constructive information nor did I say people weren’t entitled to their opinions. If you read what I wrote again the keyword in there is "some" and I wasn't just referring to constructive comments alone, but the way they are conveyed. I just don't like people who put others down for asking a question, there's just nothing constructive about it and others are discouraged to post questions in the future. Not all of us are experienced 4x4 heroes, though some may claim they are. In any case, I'm actually quite impressed with the amount of knowledge people share on this forum and although I am only most active in the 150series forums I could say 99% of the 114193 posts are constructive and welcoming...

Exactly my point mate, there's a time and place, and fraser island would be a place you would develop your skills – I’ve seen you go well equipped with other 4x4s that can recover you should things go south. However, say you were on a camping trip and simply had to get to the campsite, but faced some rough terrain you had to get through – without a recovery car/proper gear. I've been in a situation where a friend of mine had through some mud and slipped into a ditch which got him bogged so bad that recovery wasn’t possible. Would the electronics have helped? I’m not sure. But what I do remember is him trying out all the electronics on the car after being severely bogged. It was a Kluger grande 4x4 – not a proper 4by, but it was a camping trip after all. We ended up having to do a 45min hike through slippery mud and carrying the camping gear to the campsite and recovering the car the next morning using shovels.
                      Also, yes the 150GXL does have some electronic aids; however the ones in question are only available on the ZR and Kakadu – as amts stated.

Back on topic, here's another neat youtube video of the 150's multi terrain select:

Cheers
                      Yes thats my concern is when I am out with my family I want to use everything I can to avoid getting stuck in the first place. I don't take any offence to any of the posts so far everything has something constructive I can take from it. My question really was to find if the old faithful diff lock was as or more effective than the electronic gizmo's ?

Comment

Reading some of the post to this question reminds me of my dad as a kid, .........power steering, aircon, tape player who needs that fandangled crap, real men drive real cars etc. etc. and so on.............My opinion is get with the times if you can afford it.

PS- I drive an 05 GLX as I can’t afford the fandangled crap as yet.

Comment

Originally posted by robbo79
                          Reading some of the post to this question reminds me of my dad as a kid, .........power steering, aircon, tape player who needs that fandangled crap, real men drive real cars etc. etc. and so on.............My opinion is get with the times if you can afford it.

PS- I drive an 05 GLX as I can’t afford the fandangled crap as yet.
                          My post is more about learning hgow to drive the vehcile for what it is and knowing what YOUR limits as a driver are in that vehicle without having to push a buttonm to make it do all of the thinking and you just steering. Once you know what you can do with your vehicle then start with the "fandagled crap". You need to know how to manage your vehcile for situations where the "fandagled crap" has failed due to a blown fuse or some other form of damage. I did appologise for the harsh comment right at the start before anyone took offence so it was never meant to be offensive.
                          [COLOR=#000080]Nick[/COLOR]
                          [URL="http://pradopoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5308&sid=bcbebadd30673f1ac72047e6e8a93d79"]2006 TD GXL Evolution & Trips[/URL]
                          [URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Schaffer/prado][IMG]http://www.fuelly.com/smallsig-metric/45547.png[/IMG][/URL]
                          [img]http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Schaffer71/Avatar/CooperCreek.jpg[/img] [img]http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Schaffer71/Avatar/BendlebyRanges.jpg[/img]

Comment

No offense taken Nick I appreciate any input it's a forum and I put the question out there all good mate. One thing that attracted me to the Kakadu over the HSE Disco 4 was the fact that the yota would be alot less likely to have the electronic aids fail due to great build quality over the suspect LR and if they did fail the trusty diff lock and natural 4x4 ability should get me out of most spots. I guess the best thing I can do is a bit of trial and error and find out what seems to work best.

Comment

Originally posted by William

Cheers
                              Thanks for the youtube link I hadn't seen that one before...the Prado fairly outshines the D3....

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                              mencisport.com
                              antalya escort
                              tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              gaziantep escort
                              gaziantep escort
                              asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                              erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                              atasehir escort tuzla escort
                              sikis sex hatti