Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to decide on a Prado

Hey guys,
    Haven't been here long but I hope ill be around a lot more in the future.

Here's the story.
    I've had a 4.2 Carby SWB GQ for about 3 years. Very well set up for rock crawling and technical stuff.
    3in lift, locked, 35 comp tyres etc.

This is my daily which I get about 400kms out of a tank and it costs me about $130 for a tank.

Its now 23 years old and falling apart quite rapidly due to the tracks I put it through (not that I thrash it, I just drive harder stuff).
    A wheel came off the other day for no reason and it all went bad.

So now I've ramped up the search for a 120 Prado.
    Still undecided on a Petrol or Diesel as they seem to be getting around the same fuel economy???

The money I could save on buying a Petrol would mean more money to spend on extras as it will be getting locked and barred.

SETTING UP AS A TOURER AND KEEPING IT FOR THE NEXT 5-10 YEARS.

I have a budget of around 20,000 for the vehicle and another 7k to get the extras I want added to it.

I have seen a couple around and they vary greatly in kms. I don't want one with more than say 220,000kms which seemingly will get me around a 2004 model.

I will not be driving it like I drive the GQ.

I know a couple guys who swear by their petrol Prados and others that would never touch them and diesel all the way.

I know the general brainwash consensus is diesel is better but is it worth the extra outlay if im keeping it for 5-10 years (maintenance costs etc).

Im just looking for a bit of guidance from the experts.

Here is what I would be looking for:

Stock 120 Prado (as I work for a 4x4 accessory shop, and would rather a blank canvas).

Leaning towards diesel but wondering maybe Petrol is a cheaper better option.

Around a 2004 plus model with less than 220,000kms on the clock.

Strong and reliable as its going to be well used for touring and offroad work.

Will be kept for 5-10 years so it must be as clean as possible and im not looking to inherit someone elses problems.

Its funny because I was talking to an old disabled couple on Tuesday after my wheel fell off and they had just sold their 2005 Diesel 120 with front locker, drawers, rack, ARB bar, IPFs with 160,000kms on the clock for $25k!!! I would have bought it then and there.

So, petrol or diesel first of all?

And any other guidance that you could give?

What should I be looking for and what should I be careful of?

Not in a massive rush to buy one, I would prefer to wait for the right one to come up. Don't mind if it has a few bits and pieces extra like racks or bars but things like lockers I would prefer to know where they were fitted.

Also in saying all that I just saw a Petrol up for sale with 300,000kms. Mums car with slight damage to the bumper, needs new windscreen. for $13k.
    Few too many kms for me but for $13k??????? Definitely made me look twice...

Comment

At that vintage I'd look at a petrol
      [url=http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12264]My Prado[/url]

Comment

Why is that?

Unfortunately I cannot afford to go for a newer D4D and still be able to get the extras.

Comment

Hi Auto, I have got to sell my Prado as i have ordered a new dual cab ute which is due mid July. Its a 2003 120series 1KZ diesel that may fit your $20 K budget with 185kms serviced every 5000kms and a few good extras. and i still have full confidence in it's reliability. I was intending to post it up on the for sale section when i got round to it,but will be having seperation anxiety as it has been a great 4x4 as was my previous prado 90s. I would suggest you can read up on some posts on PP by Talkeroo who has good things to say about the 1KZ motor in the 120 series. PM me if you want further info on my Prado
          Russ
          New 2015 150s GX 5 seater with floor mats, towbar and a big wish list
          Previously a 2004 120s 1KZ GX silver manual with stuff
          before that a 1996 RV6 90S with lots of gear

Comment

My main dilemma is I've heard those engines are underpowered but excellent on fuel.
            I would be willing to sacrifice a LITTLE economy for some more power which is why I'm considering the V6.
            But people have told me to stay away from the petrol as it does like a drink.

But then being an offloaded I've loved diesels.

Car will be set up for touring as well as tackling medium to hard tracks hence the locker.

I know that coming from the power of the big 4.2 guzzler GQ is going to take some getting used. My driving is going in a different direction but I still want to be able to handle the harder stuff.

Comment

Mate buy the petrol, buying a 10 year old diesel with 200 000klms on it could be a very costly mistake, motor will probqbly be a bit tired, and they are gutless already, I picked up an 03 model with the 4L v6 in it, 200 000 klms on it, full service logs with reciepts, owned by 1 bloke all its life and he was a 65 yr old business loan manager for a bank, no offroad at all for $16k 6 mths ago.

Get 1200klms to a tank with a mix of around town, sand, offroad and highway, towing a tonne of caravan to sydney probably lost me 100klms each tank, but when you consider she easily sat on 110 the whole way uphills, overtake easily etc, who cares? Takes off like a 6cyl car if you like a lead foot, very responsive motor.

Buy petrol, drop some wynns engine flush in it, good oil and they will see over 350 000klms easily, google the 1gr-fe then google the old diesel, guarantee the diesels got considerably more faults for those years, way i look at it, i paid 16k for prado, throw another couple hundred at it for maintenance, roof rack for a couple hundred, roof top tent for a grand, decent tyres bit over a grand, thats a decent, powerful, reliable, comfortable tourer for under $20k on a known and tested platform.

Im in sunny coast mate and there is an 03 model petrol with 209 000klms on it 2 blocks away for $17k, probably get it for $16, best of luck either way, unless you buy a high klm diesel, in which case, good luck lol.

Cheers

Comment

Mate buy the petrol, buying a 10 year old diesel with 200 000klms on it could be a very costly mistake, motor will probqbly be a bit tired, and they are gutless already, I picked up an 03 model with the 4L v6 in it, 200 000 klms on it, full service logs with reciepts, owned by 1 bloke all its life and he was a 65 yr old business loan manager for a bank, no offroad at all for $16k 6 mths ago.

Get 1200klms to a tank with a mix of around town, sand, offroad and highway, towing a tonne of caravan to sydney probably lost me 100klms each tank, but when you consider she easily sat on 110 the whole way uphills, overtake easily etc, who cares? Takes off like a 6cyl car if you like a lead foot, very responsive motor.

Buy petrol, drop some wynns engine flush in it, good oil and they will see over 350 000klms easily, google the 1gr-fe then google the old diesel, guarantee the diesels got considerably more faults for those years, way i look at it, i paid 16k for prado, throw another couple hundred at it for maintenance, roof rack for a couple hundred, roof top tent for a grand, decent tyres bit over a grand, thats a decent, powerful, reliable, comfortable tourer for under $20k on a known and tested platform.

Im in sunny coast mate and there is an 03 model petrol with 209 000klms on it 2 blocks away for $17k, probably get it for $16, best of luck either way, unless you buy a high klm diesel, in which case, good luck lol.

Cheers

Comment

Mate coming from a thirsty patrol you will think the V6 Prado is like running a Toyota yaris lol. Seriously though the V6 is a top engine. As I've said before on this forum the 1kz in my opinion is under powered, certainly in auto anyway. I had the 90 grande diesel and certainly was not economical. I get 11.4L/11.6L per 100 open road freeway driving loaded 3 people in car. Great power if needed if towing, overtaking, around town a rough figure 15/16L per 100 which would certainly be better then the low 20's per 100 I'd imagine you would be getting from the patrol. Would have to say my 120 is the best 4wd I have owned and amongst that this is my 3rd Prado, it certainly won't be as able as your patrol compared with live axles both ends but with a locker or two the prados are extremely capable. Try and get a later 04 model as there were a few changes mainly the 5 speed auto over the 4 speed, you won't regret the petrol. If you were doing touring, retired I would save some more $$$ and get the D4D as the petrol will never get the economy they are getting and if some one tells you they manage the same out of there petrol over the D4D engine there talking out there arse, if referring to 1KZ then I would say yes it's achievable. Other then that drive both and see which gets you more excited..... Cheers Steve
                  Face lift 150 Prado V6 auto. No mods yet

Comment

Originally posted by Steve M View Post
                    Mate coming from a thirsty patrol you will think the V6 Prado is like running a Toyota yaris lol. Seriously though the V6 is a top engine. As I've said before on this forum the 1kz in my opinion is under powered, certainly in auto anyway. I had the 90 grande diesel and certainly was not economical. I get 11.4L/11.6L per 100 open road freeway driving loaded 3 people in car. Great power if needed if towing, overtaking, around town a rough figure 15/16L per 100 which would certainly be better then the low 20's per 100 I'd imagine you would be getting from the patrol. Would have to say my 120 is the best 4wd I have owned and amongst that this is my 3rd Prado, it certainly won't be as able as your patrol compared with live axles both ends but with a locker or two the prados are extremely capable. Try and get a later 04 model as there were a few changes mainly the 5 speed auto over the 4 speed, you won't regret the petrol. If you were doing touring, retired I would save some more $$$ and get the D4D as the petrol will never get the economy they are getting and if some one tells you they manage the same out of there petrol over the D4D engine there talking out there arse, if referring to 1KZ then I would say yes it's achievable. Other then that drive both and see which gets you more excited..... Cheers Steve
                    like he said
                    03 grande v6 , with added stuff that makes it go places . RTFM people !
                    founding member of the " you don't need all that crap on a prado association "
                    "you only use 15% of your brain " Einstein . " so why not burn off the other 85% " Cheech & Chong .
                    petrol , petrol ,petrol , you know it makes sense ! im kavpetrolbitch

Comment

I would also highly recommend the Petrol, The fuel economy figures are very good for the torque and feel the car has. I run the BP Ultimate 98 and long journeys cruising at about 100km/h have had close to 1500km out of both tanks (not towing) with 225,000km on the clock. The engines are very smooth, quiet and have plenty of poke for the vehicle weight. Service it every 10,000k with Castrol Magnatec 10-40w and oil filter setup makes it very easy to change. Had the car for a year and a half only had to change the Serpentine belt as it was the original and started to strip, a few idle pulleys from muddy puddle ooops and general maintenance like brake pads & battery. Overall a fantastic vehicle/motor combination, You will not be disappointed!
                      Black 120 Grande 2003 "MY4BEE", 4L V6 Petrol 4SP Auto, BFG All Terrain 275/65/R17, Rola Racks, ARB Deluxe Bar, AirbagMan OA6011 Airbag's, Bilstein Shocks, Front King Coils, Eclipse BEC108 reversing camera, LightForce Spotties, Ironman Awning, ARB Outback Storage Drawers, Uniden 80ch UHF, Waeco CFX-65DZ, Oztent RV3.
                      [URL="http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?29118-MyPradoGrande-s-120-V6"]My Rig Build Up[/URL]

Comment

So let me get this right.

I cant afford a D4D.

So I would be looking at the 1kz or the v6 petrol and your saying that the fuel economy is almost the same?

Seems as though most are saying the Petrol is the way to go so why is the Diesel so popular?
                        Why is Toyota sticking with Diesel in most of their vehicles?

One member saying 1200kms and another saying 1500kms. Big difference there. WHY??

What kms are we getting out of a diesel 1kz?

I also have access to cheap Steinbauer and exhaust system which is what I would do eventually to the diesel if I got one.

and Petrols don't last as long as what Diesels do. Still very confused.

Its been drilled into me that diesels are much better for offroad and touring. But the 1kz being so underpowered worries me a lot.

Ive seen my mates Hilux with the same motor struggle to get over a medium sized hill that my Patrol just idled up. And saw another video on youtube where this Prado (im sure it was diesel) couldn't get through this slippery slightly uphill section. Had to be snatched up like 8 times and even then struggled. I know its a combination of tyres and power but seriously. This thing scared me at how much it struggled.

I think if I bought a Petrol I would be wishing I had bought a diesel. But then I don't want to be stuck with an underpowered vehicle (steinbauer might fix that though). But then if I go petrol I wont get as much distance out of it.

Not to mention the maintenance costs of each and I know diesels cost more if a pump goes etc.
                        Last edited by AUTO..; 09-06-2013, 06:10 PM.

Comment

You will get the same klms out of a petrol engine these days as you would the diesel. I can bet my balls you would spend more money on the diesel in mechanical repairs and filters and oil changes every five thou compared to the petrols every 10k. I have seen numerous 90 petrol prados with over 400 thou on them and still going strong. Economy between the 1KZ and the 4L V6 yes would be very similar. At 110k I get better economy out of my V6 then I did with my 1KZ or my old 90 V6. My old 90 diesel I spent 4k on head repairs so any possible saving went out the window, although this isn't an issue with the 1KZ in the 120's, with the 1KZ it was gutless in my opinion and remember the 120 prado is a heavier vehicle then the 90. In manual in the 1KZ I personally think the gear ratio is more suited then the auto box. The difference between 1200k and 1500k can depend on lot of things eg load, tyres, extras like bulbar, bigger wheels, head winds. Put it this way in my 1KZ was lucky if you cracked the 12L per 100 on the freeway and if it was a shitty hot humid day and trying to keep the pace at 110k it would jump to 15L per 100 and struggle to maintain the speed limit. Unless I had the $$ for the D4D then for me petrol is the way. Im not retired so don't do a lot of towing, so my maximum would be the average 4 weeks a year. I like having the get up and go for the every day traffic. The 1KZ and D4D are tow totally different engine set ups in regards to injection system and so on. Eg NM in the 1KZ is only 343nm where as your D4D in the prados are 410nm, doesn't sound like much but when driving either their is a big difference............Sounds like your mates 2.7 petrol had issues as the 2.7 are a really great motor........Cheers Steve
                          Face lift 150 Prado V6 auto. No mods yet

Comment

Originally posted by AUTO.. View Post
                            So let me get this right.

I cant afford a D4D.

So I would be looking at the 1kz or the v6 petrol and your saying that the fuel economy is almost the same?

Seems as though most are saying the Petrol is the way to go so why is the Diesel so popular?
                            Why is Toyota sticking with Diesel in most of their vehicles?

One member saying 1200kms and another saying 1500kms. Big difference there. WHY??

What kms are we getting out of a diesel 1kz?

I also have access to cheap Steinbauer and exhaust system which is what I would do eventually to the diesel if I got one.

and Petrols don't last as long as what Diesels do. Still very confused.

Its been drilled into me that diesels are much better for offroad and touring. But the 1kz being so underpowered worries me a lot.

Ive seen my mates Hilux with the same motor struggle to get over a medium sized hill that my Patrol just idled up. And saw another video on youtube where this Prado (im sure it was diesel) couldn't get through this slippery slightly uphill section. Had to be snatched up like 8 times and even then struggled. I know its a combination of tyres and power but seriously. This thing scared me at how much it struggled.

I think if I bought a Petrol I would be wishing I had bought a diesel. But then I don't want to be stuck with an underpowered vehicle (steinbauer might fix that though). But then if I go petrol I wont get as much distance out of it.

Not to mention the maintenance costs of each and I know diesels cost more if a pump goes etc.
                            Not sure you're going to get much further with this as both have their pros and cons and different individuals have their personal preferences. If there was one right answer, there would not be two choices. I have a 150 so a different comparison but the more I read and talked to people, before I bought, the more confusing it got so I drove both the D4D and V6 several times and made up my mind based on my needs and preferences. In your shoes, I'd be doing the rounds and driving as many as I could find. Just MHO.
                            [B]Ian[/B]
                            [COLOR=#888888]2011 150 GX D4D Glacier White[/COLOR]
                            [URL="http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?22518-Ursos-150-GX"]My Rig Build Up[/URL] | [URL="http://www.pradopoint.com/blog.php?18145"]My Blog: Trip Reports[/URL]

Comment

Hi Steve.

Thanks for the guidance. Gives me a much clearer idea on the engine types.

Im under the impression my mates hilux has the same motor in is as the Prado 120 diesel? Could be wrong... His is a 3L.

I see you swapped from a diesel 120 to a petrol 120... Why is that??

your choice of the engines: 1KZ, v6 Petrol or D4D.
                              Will be getting auto btw.

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                              mencisport.com
                              antalya escort
                              tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              gaziantep escort
                              gaziantep escort
                              asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                              erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                              atasehir escort tuzla escort