Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 PRADO KZJ120R GXL or newbie vehicle

Newbie is considering a Prado

I have been researching a 4 x 4 purchase for some time now now i have seen a 2004 PRADO KZJ120R GXL
    4 cylinder Diesel Intercooled Turbo 3.0L,Chipped with Twin batteries. Bull bar, driving lights etc with 80000kms on clock advertised for Approx $37000. I Dont really want to exceed $40,000 in budget

After doing extensive research i keep coming back to Prados, I looked at several nissan patrols and whilst they are generally up $5000 - $7000 cheaper, or for the same money, you can get a vehicle 3 - 4 years older and with less Kms, the exploding, 3.0l diesel turbo, piston issues have scared me.

I am struggling with the diesel / turbo / petrol issue and several others, so i would welcome some honest feedback from those in the know and / or have owned or do own this model or similia? Most other Prados may be later models but for 2 - 4year old vehicles most have 100k - 140k plus kms on clock already.
    Would this be from extensive towing?
    I do not want to buy something that has had the guts pulled out of it, or is this not an issue?

fuel economics arent really a consideration as i Probably ownly drive locally 15000 - 18000km per annum, its more about reliability, clearance, diesel turbo issues if any etc as im not really mechanically minded so my questions are

Is there any issues with this model and anything i need to consider?

Do the diesels really have to be religiously serviced every 3 months or 5000kms for mainly city driving, occasionally blowing the cobwebs out on the freeway?

I would initially only want to tour things like Gawler ranges, Flinders ranges, Arkaroola, Finke river - Palm Valley, Merenie loop in the N.T.etc with the view of more adventourous stuff further on ( I am a novice !! ) and probably adding / modifying bits n pieces

Are these areas considered "rough" in the scheme of things? Could a stock / standard Prado handle these terrains & conditions without being trashed?

Is clearance an issue? my understandind is stock standard Prados have standard clearance of 180mm as oppose to full landcruisers, patrols @ 220mm clearance. Would a standard Prado/ suspension bottom out in these areas & terrains?

Is standard suspension/ the coil springs adequate or an issue?
    Does it need lifting for more rugged areas like these? i do not really want to start lifting it @ this point in time

LSD - is this an issue without having or fitting an airlocker? I have also heard early prado diffs are susceptible to disintegration under rough terrain driving?

No traction control - issue?

Like i mentioned, i have done a fair bit of reading / research but just want a simple, no frills, reliable vehicle that will take me to most places as mentioned above, Birdsville maybe, not Simpson desert ( big red ) maybe, Gibb River road in future,at this point in time.

All comments suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Re: 2004 PRADO KZJ120R GXL or newbie vehicle

Originally posted by Arborman
    Newbie is considering a Prado

Like i mentioned, i have done a fair bit of reading / research but just want a simple, no frills, reliable vehicle that will take me to most places as mentioned above, Birdsville maybe, not Simpson desert ( big red ) maybe, Gibb River road in future,at this point in time.

All comments suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    I think you are looking for a 100series naturally aspirated diesel. A standard model with the barn doors/vinyl trim or a GXL with some luxury. Slow as a wet week but will last forever.
    2009 120 V6 Auto. 265/70/17 Goodyear Silent Armours. Bilsteins and Kings Springs.

Comment

Do the diesels really have to be religiously serviced every 3 months or 5000kms for mainly city driving, occasionally blowing the cobwebs out on the freeway?
      This would be a good idea, if you are doing 15 - 18000k's a year every 5k should be fine, you would be able to do the intermediate 5k service yourself. A search of PradoPoint will reveal detailed instructions on how to do it.

I would initially only want to tour things like Gawler ranges, Flinders ranges, Arkaroola, Finke river - Palm Valley, Merenie loop in the N.T.etc with the view of more adventourous stuff further on ( I am a novice !! ) and probably adding / modifying bits n pieces. Are these areas considered "rough" in the scheme of things? Could a stock / standard Prado handle these terrains & conditions without being trashed?
      They vary but in general you should be able to handle most of these areas without to much trouble, there are always exceptions though so research each individual track if you are concerned.
      Is clearance an issue? my understandind is stock standard Prados have standard clearance of 180mm as oppose to full landcruisers, patrols @ 220mm clearance. Would a standard Prado/ suspension bottom out in these areas & terrains?
      A good 2" lift kit will help with clearance and improve the overall handling of a Prado greatly $1500 - $2000 should get you a good set up, once again check the suspension threads for heaps of information. (i have Old Man Emu and find it excellent) Air Lockers and traction control are not nescessary for a beginner as you shouldn't be doing anything to extreme, it will also teach you to drive better rather than relying on the technology.

The rear diff in the Prado is a weak point, lots of people however do lots of miles with no problems. Front diffs in the 100 series are weak and as you said the 3.0 litre Nissan motor is like a hand grenade.

I travelled through the Flinders, the Red centre and the Kimberly including the Tanami twice and the Gibb river road all in a basically stock 2005 3.0 litre diesel Prado towing a camper trailer and never laid a spanner on it other than the standard services. The suspension however was sad after all these trips.

hope this helps

Cheers Andrew
      [COLOR="#FF0000"]So Long and Thanks for all the Fish![/COLOR]

[url=http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showthread.php?3840-AJ-s-120-Prado]MY PRADO AND DIY CAMPER TRAILER[/url]

[url=http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showthread.php?3975-AJ-s-79-series-Cruiser-Ute]MY HZJ79 Landcrusier[/url]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I just want a reliable vehicle that will take me were i want to go within the cars capability. drove down the Gibb River road
        12 years ago in a Vl commodore. The car is long gone, my bones still shake, but the looks of distain i got from the high end of town in there$60k Discos, n saharas was priceless.! went n been places they didnt. Why would u bother!!

Comment

More replies & feedback needed please!! if prados are so fantastic, please convince me!!!

Comment

More replies & feedback needed please!! if prados are so fantastic, please convince me!!!
            Their is plenty info already re purchasing a prado! Yes they r great that is why we all own them!
            [b]Rob[/b]

[b]2016 Toyota Hilux SR5 D4D Auto Company Cruiser... [/b].
            [url=http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?23866-Hutch-s-2012-150-GXL-V6-petrol-Auto]Hutch's 2012 Build up[/url]
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Hutch
              Their is plenty info already re purchasing a prado! Yes they r great that is why we all own them!

I understand that, read all that stuff and more, just looking for useful comments, feedback, constructive critism

More diversified comments appreciated opinions etc
              of what i am tying to achieve

. Dont ask, u dont get! this site is supposed to be 4 Prados? Newbies? only want feedback. Good purchase & experience in Gods own country!!!, just trying to sort wheat from chaff.
              Im a newbie just trying to " Get out there, amondt it " with minimum headache

Comment

Originally posted by Hutch

I understand that, read all that stuff and more, just looking for useful comments, feedback, constructive critism

More diversified comments appreciated opinions etc
                of what i am tying to achieve

. Dont ask, u dont get! this site is supposed to be 4 Prados? Newbies? only want feedback. Good purchase & experience in Gods own country!!!, just trying to sort wheat from chaff.
                Im a newbie just trying to " Get out there, amondt it " with minimum headache
                A Prado off the showroom floor will take you on virtually any formed road track anywhere in this great country. Back in the 80's mates of mine took a bog stock subaru brumby to the tip of cape york. A fairly stock VW beetle has done the Simpson. There is a lot of rot about what you need in a 4wd to tour oz.

A Prado with revised suspension, front and rear lockers, skid plate, a snorkel and some quality tyres will take you most of the other places you may choose to go.

Are Prados good - You bet ya.
                Are they reliable - You bet ya.
                Do they hold value - You bet ya.
                Are they the best all round medium 4wd in oz - you bet ya.
                Are they the most capable 4wd in oz - No. (landcruiser, patrol, jeep renegade and Discovery/Defender are better)

I have the exact model you are looking at and I love it. My wife loves it, kids love it. Before this I had a 100 series petrol cruiser. I loved it but it was a bit large for everyday use in town.

If you want a Prado, and with the lower k's you are thinking of, I would steer towards the V6 petrol. Fuel economy is okay and power is sweeeeet. There are far more petrols for sale than diesels and they are cheaper.

As you search the site you will see signature links to fuelly.com - this will give you an idea of the economy members are getting.
                2009 120 V6 Auto. 265/70/17 Goodyear Silent Armours. Bilsteins and Kings Springs.

Comment

Is it just me or do others also get annoyed by these sorts of comments?

Last time I checked I didn't see too may car salespeople or Politicians on here trying to win your vote - just Prado enthusiasts doing their thing.

Maybe the fact that you also posted about 50 questions also makes it a tad daunting for anyone wanting to reply - where to start?

Sounds like you want someone else to make the decision for you on whether or not to spend your $40,000 on a Prado.

I have found that most people on here are more than happy to help, but remember your manners.
                  NOW FOR SALE!!! - 2004 Silver GXL 3lt 4spd Auto - ARB Bullbar, Safari Snorkel, Redarc Dual Battery System, Cooper ST MAXX, Dark Tint, IPF900XS spots, Raised Bilstein/Kings Suspension/Firestone Airbags, Autosafe Cargo Barrier, Sandgrabbers, Rola Roof Rack Stuff, Insect Screen, Dust/Wind Deflectors, Sheepskin/Black Duck Seatcovers, GME TX3510, ARB underbonnet compressor, Allied Hammer Rims, ARB UVP, [url="http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?18043-Rock-sliders-steel-side-steps"]AJ Sliders[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Madkore

Last time I checked I didn't see too may car salespeople or Politicians on here trying to win your vote - just Prado enthusiasts doing their thing.

Maybe the fact that you also posted about 50 questions also makes it a tad daunting for anyone wanting to reply - where to start?

Sounds like you want someone else to make the decision for you on whether or not to spend your $40,000 on a Prado.

I have found that most people on here are more than happy to help, but remember your manners.
                    Its not just you Madkore, did you notice that the comment was posted only 6 hours after the initial post as well. Its a common misconception from newbies that the way the forum works is that you start a post asking lots of questions, and everyone just drops what they are doing to answer questions that have been answered a dozen times before. It rather annoyed me as i gave a reasonably detailed response to his questions.

The best thing any newbie could do is spend a week reading everything that remotely interests them on the site, by which time they would have answers to most of their questions.

You are right about people helping to Madkore, you may not remember but you helped me with my inability to post a picture in my early days, which allowed me to do my rig build, and cape york report and lots of other things that i have been told by others that they really appreciate.

Cheers Andrew
                    [COLOR="#FF0000"]So Long and Thanks for all the Fish![/COLOR]

[url=http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showthread.php?3840-AJ-s-120-Prado]MY PRADO AND DIY CAMPER TRAILER[/url]

[url=http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showthread.php?3975-AJ-s-79-series-Cruiser-Ute]MY HZJ79 Landcrusier[/url]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Yes happy to help anyone that is not asking a question that has been asked 100 times previously, it does get frustrating!!
                      [b]Rob[/b]

[b]2016 Toyota Hilux SR5 D4D Auto Company Cruiser... [/b].
                      [url=http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?23866-Hutch-s-2012-150-GXL-V6-petrol-Auto]Hutch's 2012 Build up[/url]
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

In 2007 I undertook months of in-depth research (Patrol v Pajero v Jeep v Landcruiser v Discovery etc) before making the decision to purchase my first Prado. That I ended up with a V6 rather than the diesel was just by happenstance - but after 3 years and 70kms this has proven to be the right choice for me.

One thing that has really enhanced my Prado "experience" has been the PP forum. Prior to making the purchase decision, the information on PP was absolutely invaluable. Since joining the PP forum back in January 2008 I've been astounded at the generosity of PP members. Never for a moment did (or do) I "expect" any help. And yet every time I've had a problem or a query other PPers have readily and freely offered helpful advice. To be part of this great forum is an honour and privilege :!:
                        2005 4L V6 5sp Auto GXL. Not much gear!

Comment

I've had a V6 4 speed auto GXL since I leased it new in 2003. Bought it outright at lease end.
                          It's done 150,000 now. Many of those kms were accrued during the lease term. (26000km/year over 4 years for tax purposes) It gets 12.3-12.5 lt/100 normally dropping to 16.5 lt/100 with a 20 foot 1800 kilo boat or 18-18.5 with a 2494 kilo caravan. (yes I've had it on the weigh bridge & it's that close to the max).
                          It'll tow the van at 110kph if I want to but I usually sit on 90kph. Tow the boat at 100 though.
                          Since new though & while under warranty it's had the steering wheel replaced, the fuel tanks replaced, the power steering pump replaced and the exhaust manifolds replaced. The electric window switch panel fell out of the driver side door when a clip broke after warranty but I glued that back in. I've had to fiddle around with the high mount rear stop light because of a wiring fault within the light. (they're about a $250 spare part). Also like many of that age the dash cracked but Toyota eventually replaced that although I had to pay the labour ($450). Also the aircon failed (this is a common problem) but it can be got going again by swapping the fog light relay with the M/C (Magnetic Clutch) relay as they're the same part number. The relay from Toyota is a $93 part so try to buy non genuine.
                          Mechanically it's been OK and it's very quiet & smooth but I've got to say I wonder about Toyota's quality control these days. My 1999 Corolla has had the water pump changed under warranty & that's it.
                          If you're buying 2nd hand try getting the vehicle somewhere where you can loosen the battery & look under it. If there's sand there then it's been on the beach & you don't know how many times or how well it was washed down. (The detailers always miss the bit under the battery)
                          Hope this helps
                          Phred

Comment

Originally posted by Madkore

Fair comment, I get that, but the fact is when looking at a 4 x 4 three months ago - patrols, Pajeros, Prados etc I didnt Know a thing about them other than they are 4 wheel drives. I do not Know anybody with 1 or has ever owned 1, and hadnt even sat in 1!! I have spent countless hours reading just about every post on here, technical specs, been to car yards, spoken to dealers, test drives etc. From that info, i post for comments trying to sort the wheat from the chaff and form my own opinion. If people dont want to reply, thats fine and to people who do and spend the time I am greatly appreciative.

I Dont want or expect anybody to make the decision for me, was only looking for opinions, feedback, help with all the terminology and information overload, and to bounce a few ideas & thoughts around from real owners who may have been there or done that coz for a newbie with zero knowledge its very daunting. I am now at a point where i am as fully informed as i can be with the only sticking point being a 4l or D4D.

I have read plenty about these & will probably post about this later, and again its just about seeking opinions & thoughts from real owners, who can spare the time to comment, of once again i am very appreciative.

Comment

And just an addendum, the reason i am so cautious & prolific is I nearly bought a Prado from a shark which turned out to be a
                              recoverable write off from interstate and without garnering exellent info, tips from this site I may have been stung here bigtime

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                              mencisport.com
                              antalya escort
                              tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              gaziantep escort
                              gaziantep escort
                              asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                              erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                              atasehir escort tuzla escort
                              sikis sex hatti